1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMS2 is a fresh of breath air

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by TKracer, Aug 16, 2021.

1. TKracer

TKracer Member

I've been simracing for a couple of years now but the last two years i've taken a break from it. I used to play a lot of AC and PC2. I decided to get back into simracing and I have heard about this AMS2, sadly there seems to be some very vocal youtubers that don't seem to enjoy AMS2 so my hopes where not that high.

However after 20 hours I can say I am over the moon of how amazing this sim is and the potential moving forward is immense.

The force feedback on my G29 with the custom FFB files are so good, I can literally feel everything the car is doing and I can't even imagine how a DD would feel like. Compared to AC the FFB is much more alive but much better than the one from PC2.
    Physics wise I think it's really good, sometimes I get a bit confused when some cars seems to combat oversteer in low speed corners by applying the throttle. Haven't this happen in other sims but then again i'm no racedriver so not sure what to make of it but generally it's a great experience.

The content is just so good. Sure there are some tracks like Monza, Le mans etc that you would like but with all the Brazilian tracks, all the historic tracks ( I love them!) and all the different cars I'm just having a blast.

The UI is slick! Very easy and user friendly, AC and Raceroom makes me feel like i'm using and old tech demo from the 90s.

Sadly the multiplayer isn't so active but to be honest I pretty much only race offline.

All I wanna say, is thank you for this experience. I truly believe you guys are sitting on a goldmine with all this potential. Cheers to the coming years.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Friendly Friendly x 7
    • Like Like x 4
  2. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

Overall AMS2 is quite good, or better said: AMS2 still has potential, and the users have hope. But unfortunately you don't have to look very deep to find a plethora of quirks in the title, some dating straight back to Project Cars 2.
    The Nr.1 feature why im still with AMS2 is simply the ability to host MP sessions with some Friends.
    It got even better since those friends don't need to have all track DLCs to join.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I think you missed a few threads.

4. Romeo Foxtrot

Romeo Foxtrot Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree with most of your post but I'm not enamoured of the UI. When I change car or track I have to go through too many dialog boxes. The Opponent Settings box doesn't show the number, level or field type without going into it. (I'd also like to see the values in the garage summary screen as well as a summary screen before loading the track).

I race to a distance not a time or number of laps and the track and race laps are on opposite sides of the screen and difficult to associate with each other. 12 laps looks fine but it's too long at the 'Ring and too short at Brands Indy. I'd like to choose the track and number of laps at the same time (or have the game set to distance and work it out).

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

And even Monza is coming for all your public lobby T1 pleasure :D. But we will also get the classic double chicane layout.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I appreciate your intend to be very positive in your assessment of AMS2 - but...
    But check the goofy menu sequence out in as example the TT mode after you have run some laps and now wanting to save the car setup used - because you know you have made some late changes.
    But Its impossible to be allowed to save!
    Hahaha I cant stop laughing.:rolleyes:

Because you have to completely exit the TT session - and then start up a new session.
    And hoping the same setup is still launced you are now allowed to save the used setup from the session before.
    Because only in the new session the save button is active.:D

ByTheWay: And how about if you want to save the replay of your TT run?
    Do the "user friendly" UI allow that?:rolleyes:

7. steelreserv

I’ve never had a problem saving setups. I make dozens of changes through the course of a session.

Once you figure out the setup name needs to be unique its really easy. I use “Imola 10L25c(w)” as my base naming convention for a particular track. If I change something and forget to save, the game puts an “*” next to setup and auto saves it. You just need to remember to save it.

if I want to test or experiment with one setup option, ill use the base setup and rename it “Damper Test1” “Damper Test 2” etc.

If you forget to save a setup, select the one with the “*”, rename it and save it.

Easy peezy lemon squeezy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. Venturini

Venturini New Member

@steelreserv Not to nitpick, but that's feasible but not exactly user friendly.

9. steelreserv

It could be more user friendly. I'd like to see time stamps and the system to save the setups automatically and just add a (1) or (2) after each autosaved file. I'd like the description to make the file unique as well.

However, once you learn that the main file names themselves need to be unique. Making it user friendly is academic. Just put the track name in the main file name and it will work just fine. You can make it more simple than my example...Imola Dry, Imola Wet...etc

10. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Isn't there the possibility to save the setup track specific, so you don't need to use the track in the setup name? Presuming of course you don't want to use it as a base for another track later on.

11. leggy2fast

leggy2fast Artist and amateur racer!

I can't stress how much I've been loving AMS2 myself, it's my go-to sim for much of my driving, save for a league or two in other sims. Literally starting the day by doing some hotlapping in some exotic car and track combos is my jam <3

On the subject of UI, I deeefinitely have tons of griipes with it mostly in terms of inconsistency (fonts, text size, button structure etc.).But I know it's a work in progress. What bothers me the most, though, is how I often have to use wheel, mouse AND a gamepad when I want to do stuff like setting up time trials and then use the photo mode. Each of those parts of the game (the menus, the driving, the photo mode) work better on one of those speciifc controllers, with some intertwining between them x3

But then again, I know that's mostly WIP stuff and I hope Reiza has a major UI overhaul in mind <3

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  12. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, AMS2 has the best 'feel' of any sim to me these days. In the best cars it feels like I am driving a car, where in many sims it just feels like I am looking up cells in a spreadsheet very quickly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

AMS2 will reach its peak when we have rated scheduled open wheeler (or prototypes) 30+ min multiplayer races with random changing weather conditions!

Edit: top 3 of the season win a Steam badge with Renato's thumb up

• Like Like x 1
  14. steelreserv

I use the track or an abbreviation of the track "VelCit" because its the only thing I can think of that is universally unique.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

This is fixed with the next release.:whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  16. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Throttle pedal/initial RPM rise will certainly feel different at low pedal travel.

Initial oversteer also depends on other factors, so i wouldn't call this a direct fix, because sometimes it's just how it is, but it is likely an elimination of a big contributor to certain situations. :whistle:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Yeah this feeling of direct connectedness between my plastic wheel, screen and what the virtual car are doing is better in AMS2 than any other racing game I have tried (IMO).
    Thats the only reason I hang on waiting that this completely unfinished project will ever be something that can be called a somewhat realised racing sim. :cool:

But thats also the reason its so extra frustrating that both a lot of the smaller issues/bugs and missing parts and a lot of the bigger ones is now after more than 1 year completely untouched by the devs.:rolleyes:

ByTheWay: Hehe it was a similiar situation when I was a long time iRacing member waiting and waiting that they would repair/reprogram their terrible tire model - because the rest of their 24/7 service was/is so unique. But in the end I became tired of waiting and aborted my membership.;)

18. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

No Pay, . . . NO PLAY! That's as "hardcore" as simulation gets.:p:D