1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a direct drive (DD) wheel realistic?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Mike1304, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I only own a Logitech G27 wheel but I keep thinking wether I should upgrade. I read that DD wheels are the best wheels available and that they have so much torque they can hurt you and break your hands if you are not cautious.
    But, is this realistic driving feeling?
    I don’t want a workout! Real modern racecars often have power steering so wouldn’t it be unrealistic if you have to pull on the DD wheel like a bodybuilder in the gym?
    Don’t get me wrong I just have never experienced a „better“ wheel than the G27 and therefore have no imagination how much „better“ a DD wheel would feel and how much more immersive and enjoyable the simracing would become with such an upgrade…

2. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Lets sum it up a bit:

• Most people buy 20-25Nm DD's. Dial it down to 12 - 15 NM. That's the sweetspot. When the DD spikes it uses 20-25Nm, because of the overhead there arent nasty side-effects
    • DD's do use less parts, so in theory there's less to fail or to break
    • DD's are so fast and responsive with a lot of detail because there's no gears, no pulleys, no anything
    • Yes, they can hurt you when you crash or when someone rams you, so you've to take off your hands from the wheel and press the kill switch if you have any
    • You're likely using a DD for 10+ years.
    • Negatives are probably some hazzle with the software. Every brand has it own software, parameters and settings.
    • By the way if you can't afford DD you can always buy a CSW 2.5 on the used markt between 350 - 450. It's the peak of belt driven bases and according to Boosted Media it's as good as CSL DD 8Nm.
    • He says if you own a CSW 2.5 the CSL DD 8Nm is just a side-step.
    • Anyway VSR racing has a great affordable DD. So does Simmagic.
    • There are other brands out there, like: Simucube, Accuforce, Fanatec and many others.
    • I think if you upgrade to an used CSW 2.5 or a brand new DD you will be blown away. Logitech is using outdated technology from the early 2000's and selling it was the most realistic thing ever. Which isn't.
    • Honestly.. I would upgrade pedals first. Like Fanatec V3's, HE Sprints or Mecca Cups.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Great summary and I agree with the conclusion. I used a G25 for many years and loved it. If you have any spare cash, get good quality pedals first as the gap between those and the terrible pedals that come with the G27 is larger than the gap between the wheel part of the G27 and a better wheel.

And, yes, something of the calibre of the Fanatec CSW will be a huge leap forward. But unless you can find one for a real bargain, you may as well go for the new CSL DD--especially because you don't need the power boost pack. The standard 5 Nm version will be like night and day compared to a geared wheel. (The good belt-driven wheels are in between DD and the old and honestly not very good gear-driven tech of the G27.)

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Also, there are more used DD-wheels on the market as some upgrade from one brand or power-level to another. For example, a used AccuForce or SimuCube1 may be had for very reasonable prices for those willing to keep an eye on the "Sim-gear4sale" forums (and not be in a hurry).

5. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I have not seen it openly discussed but I think that one of the reasons for the high torque in upper end DD wheels is that the speciality of DD wheels the instant (lag free) reaction is fully dependent of the torque of the driving motor.
    So a lower torque rated DD wheel will also have a (probably slightly) higher reaction time(lag).

ByTheWay: But alone getting rid of drive belts and/or gears will even beforehand give a DD wheel an advantage against probably every non DD wheel.;)

6. ChasteWand

ChasteWand Member

As others have said a pedal upgrade is the first step to a better experience.

I went from a Thrustmaster TX and T3PA with load cell mod to Fanatec DD1 and V3 pedals. The pedals are absolutely amazing in comparison, although the rumble feature is nothing more than a gimmick, far too weak to be useful. The DD1 in comparison is smoother and far more direct feeling, particularly around the centre. Plenty powerful, never been above 75% on the wheelbase settings. The pedals will make you faster, the wheel won't. Having said that though, you may save a few spins that you wouldn't have on the cheap wheel.

Overall I think the upgraded wheel was worth it, brings a new level of feel however it's only going to be as good as the ffb of the game you're playing!

7. Mike1304

Thank you all! Unfortunately I didn’t write that I already switched the pedals to Fanatec years ago.
    That’s why I only asked about the wheel.
    I‘m asking if you need a lot of strength to drive with DD wheel (workout! sweat!…exhausting!). At least that’s what I think if I hear about this extreme torque. And then I ask if this hard work is realistic when most modern racecars have powersteer which should make steering an easy job…

8. kkdrummer

kkdrummer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

A lot of good info here, thanks. Quick question. Are any pedals from other makes compatible with G27/29/920?

9. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I used my G27 wheel without its own pedals but with the Fanatec CSP V3 via direct to USB for a year or so. As long as the pedals have an own USB connector, sure why not. You don't need compatibility there, just a free USB port.

10. kkdrummer

kkdrummer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Oh I see. The pedals connect straight into the pc and are independently set up in game. Just like the wheel. Cool. It makes sense. Thanks!

11. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

@Mike1304
    Depending on the make of DD, most can run at light force settings and still provide excellent overall ffb-dynamics. The thing is, after using one for some time, most players likely will want "more" of what makes them so dynamic and the best way to do that, is to increase the power output. Everyone has a sweet spot where the feedback is great but, not strong enough to wear you out, unless that is part of the sim-experience for you.;)

DD-wheels certainly don't have to be run at levels that are dangerous to be effective and immersive. It all comes down to user preference. I take the exercise comments as "tongue in cheek", as there are certainly much better ways to achieve that. :)

As far as realism is concerned, that is often debated but, generally speaking, DD-wheels can be set up to behave somewhat realistically. A good belt-driven wheel can also do a decent job of that, though. Where extra immersion matters, DD-wheels rule, imo.:p:D

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

FFB wheels are not the problem in terms of percieved realism. The main gripe with most racing titles is, that there is FFB input into the wheel that does not belong there. An prominet effect that is not there or overall exegerated in a real steering wheel, is the feel for "weight transfer" and rear grip or slip. ABS on the other hand, that's is something you feel but a lot of sims totalls miss it.

What is also missing is the fluttering at high speed with toe out in the front (greetings @crimson eminence ;) )

I guess a DD wheel can give a very real sensation... if the racing game title allows for it... but in the end there would not that much be felt at all, except centering force.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mansell

mansell Member

there is a new fanatec DD wheel with 5nm or 8nm torque (depending on the power supply you chose). and its very cheap too. there are reviews on YT about it. preorders will start to delivered next month, but i guess there is a long waiting list. if the power of DDs is your issue, maybe this is your solution. check this out
    (mind you that this is a promoted review and that you can find reviews like this from a lot of popular simracers on YT if you want someone else than hoznik)

14. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

I would be careful with the terms "cheap" or "very cheap". This terms are relative and the definition of cheap is different for every person pending on different factors like income and also previously owned equipment. For a person that already owns Fanatec equipment and is looking to upgrade, the CSL DD wheel is a affordable solution since the base with power supply is about $480. If you don't have a Fanatec compatible rim you will have to buy one which is at a minimum $380. This brings the purchase price up to close to $900. If you have to add pedals then you are way over $1000 for this setup. For me personally, as example, this would be a investment I would have to think about for some time.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I am thinking about to buy the DD1, Since I am owning two wheels of them, but not totally sure. My 2.5 is doing fine. But two wheels are not even into the eco-system, so might switch to something else. But a 800 euro wheel in my hands is a bit too much for my liking since the dimishing returns are strange. My V2 with SRM shifters does fine. Why do I need a 800 wheel when I've a buttonbox as well. Hmmmmmmmmmm

It might be worth for me to invest in two-hubs, longer powerstrips and two Flag-legs. Heck.. Perhaps even a PC-stand behind the rig, and only have to buy a longer DP-cable and 1-hub for the kb+m. Choices choices :D

16. mansell

mansell Member

this thread is about DD wheels. this DD base is the cheapest available ATM. this is a fact.
    compine it with rim, pedals or whatever you need in still way cheaper than compine another DD base with same rim and same pedals. this is common sence, i dont know what are you trying to say TBH.
    i know that a lot of people can not afford a DD wheel setup. if this is the case for the OP (and not the high torque most DD wheels have) then i am in a wrong thread and i apologize.
    but if someone want to buy a DD, the weakest and cheaper wheel is this.
    next cheapest solution for any DD compination (base only, base with rim, base + rim + pedals etc) could be cost from $400 or more.
    btw the cheapest compination CSL DD 8nm, mclaren GT3 V2, CSL pedals cost 629 euros in my (EU) country. if someone can not afford this, sadly, should not watch threads with DD in the title.

17. Mike1304

Thank you all for your information.
    I really didn’t ask about the price, because I‘m aware that DD wheels aren’t cheap. I just wanted to know which experience I should expect if I would buy one:
    Would I be happy („Wow this is so much better driving feeling compared to my G27“) or would I regret the buy („I liked the driving feeling with my G27 more. The new wheel is so heavy to steer and therefore unrealistic because real cars have power steer and are easy to steer. My sim racing has become totally exhausting. If I wanted a workout for my arms I could have invested in a gym subscription and not in a new steering wheel…“).
    I hope I have now been able to express myself more clearly what I actually wanted to know.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

I am sure that a dd wheel will be 100 times better than your g27. You should go for it if y can afford it :)

I am using the same wheel (g27) and i am on the verge of changing it with a dd but not because of the heavier wheel (which indeed is true, and you can also change through settings how heavy it will be) but because (and in my opinion this is more crucial) the smoothness of it... :whistle:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  19. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

If a better, more life-like and more precise experience is what you seek, you don't need expensive DD gear. A humble Thrustmaster T500RS would be two or three steps up already, even the T300RS is a step up. I gave away all my Logitech wheels after switching to Thrustmasters.

Total cost was around 430€ for the full T300RS set with 3 Pedals and H-Shifter. This year i just swapped in the T300RS for the T500RS. Both bases have also switchable rims.

20. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Bottom-line, now that we know you already have decent pedals, it is a no-brainer if you can afford the new CSL DD wheel--do it. As others have pointed-out it is the cheapest DD wheel by quite a margin yet still well-reviewed by almost every knowledgeable source. You can't get a much bigger improvement in the entire world of sim racing hardware than going from a G27 to a CSL DD.

• Like Like x 2