1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to launch game in VR?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Alex Sander, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Alex Sander

Alex Sander New Member

Hi,

I can't seem to figure out how to launch the game in VR. I have a Rift S, is there a special shortcut parameters that needs to be set up? In game when I launch normally under options the VR section is greyed out and I cant click it.

Thanks!

2. tom quid

tom quid New Member

when you launch from steam you should get an option to launch in steam vr or oculus vr. I tried oculus vr and it worked for me.

3. Alex Sander

Alex Sander New Member

Thank you, yes if I launch from within Steam I get these options, from the desktop shortcut I do not.

4. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor TCLF AMS2 Club Member

that's right, it's a steam launch option

5. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think it works best if you put the headset on and allow it to boot the VR software, then back on the monitor from Steam>Play>launch in VR and it seems to work every time, launching it from within VR is less reliable in my experience.

6. Purg

Purg New Member

From memory, with pCars2 you could add /othervr to the end of the shortcut properties to launch the Oculus version and /vr to launch SteamVR version. Probably the same deal with AM2.

7. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

this is NOT pCARS2 anymore ! o_O

8. blanes

blanes Member

You are absolutely correct Wolfgang - may I call you Wolfie ? :D and physics / FFB wise it feels nothing like pC2 to me, but rather feels incredibly good to drive !

However I launch AMS2 with exact same command line parameters, from within SimCommander4, as I do for pC2 - just replacing the Steam Game ID number.

steam://launch/1066890/othervr -silent

The above launches AMS2 directly into VR for my RiftS :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

i'm far too old for "ie" extension :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. sherpa25

sherpa25 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Does it open Oculus Home too?

11. blanes

blanes Member

Ha ! :) Yes Wolfgang I understand ... I too left "middle age" some time ago ... but there is bound to be still some remnant of the little "Wolfie" in there .... having fun !!! ;)

Actually no, I always have Oculus software running in the background before launching any sim into VR. Though I have Oculus Home disabled and never let it run as it steals some amount of memory and little bit of cpu resources.

12. sherpa25

Sorry, what version do you run? I'm asking as I remember the newer (latest?) Oculus already required Home running, w/c wasn't like in the previous versions where you can just run the services w/o Home.

13. Cliff

Cliff Member

How did you disable Home?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. blanes

blanes Member

There's a few ways I believe however I just do the following everytime there is a new Oculus update and it has never failed me. Easily reversible if you want to and does not disrupt anything. I have the current Oculus software update and this hack has worked for past several years since I started using it.

The rationale is that Home2 uses approx 2.5gb of system ram plus another 1gb of Video Ram. For some pc's this matters not at all but I rather have my cpu & ram fully utilised in sim racing.

So then, navigate to the directory where you have installed the Oculus software.
    eg. C:\Oculus\Support\oculus-worlds\Home2\Binaries\Win64
    That directory holds the Oculus Home executable file named Home2-Win64-Shipping.exe

If you move that file to another directory it will be disabled. I simply made a directory inside the Win64 directory named Home2 Disabled and put the executable file there. Moving it back to the Win64 directory will cause it to be enabled again if you ever need to. * Remember you do have to do this everytime Oculus software updates as it rewrites a new Home2 executable file into Win64 dir.

Before moving this executable you may have to shutdown the Oculus software, which is by default always running in the background of your PC. As a practice I always have the Oculus software fully shutdown when I am not racing in VR - I do not play any other VR games at all - only VR for sim racing FTW !

So to that end there is a simple batch file to toggle the Oculus software on & off, it was made by someone much smarter than me a long time ago (sorry I cannot remember who but kudos to you good man !)

Save the following into a text file and name it Oculus ON OFF Toggle.Bat you can then link that file with a shortcut to your desktop and use it as an on off switch for your Rift.

sc config OVRService start= demand
    net start "OVRService"
    if %errorlevel% == 2 net stop "OVRService"

Happy Days Racing Flat Out in AMS2 !!! :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. sherpa25

Will try this. If I remember correctly this was the same, or similar to the previous, procedure before I had to update. I had an 'Oculus LIte' version. I'll check it out later. Thanks! Will pm you if I have any issue, hope you don't mind.

16. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

Thanks champ!

17. Cassini

Cassini 3D Artist and Video Editor AMS2 Club Member

I will try this ASAP!
    Never imagine I could launch it in Oculus Mode / Oculus Home disabled.

18. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Does anyone know why the Beta doesnt give me an option to start in VR like the main release does?

Edit, nevermind, I had to change the starts option for the beta manually in its properties.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2023