1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Javier Pro

Javier Pro New Member

Please add support for Pimax!!! Paralell reprojection is fps killer

• Like Like x 3
  2. DarrenM

DarrenM New Member

Benchmarking VR is possible but it's a little fiddly.

Once you have a replay you can set it to cockpit cam and play it. For benchmarking you need the head position to be constant, so put the headset on a desk, sit something inside it to activate the proximity sensor and hit your recenter button before each test.

To record benchmark stats I use FCAT VR from nvidia. It's not too different to using FRAPS if you're familiar with that.

Free NVIDIA FCAT VR Benchmarking Application Available Now For Download

You specify how long you want to benchmark for and which key starts the benchmark. Once configured click play on the replay then hit the key to start fcat. When it's finished it will output a spreadsheet of frame render times (frame start and frame end times) and a bunch of other info. Rename the spreadsheet to something meaningful, change your setting and repeat.

As long as you're always benchmarking the same section of the replay and your headset is properly centered for each run you should get repeatable results.

The fiddly part is comparing results. FCAT will only give you a dump of frame render times. It's up to you to calculate average/median frame time, graph for comparison or convert to fps instead of milliseconds per frame if that's what you want.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@DarrenM fantastic info! Thanks!

I’ve spent probably a dozen hours or maybe two dozen over the past week trying to eek out any performance gains I can with my system, and long story short, I found that the “Motion Vector” setting for the G2 is the best way to go (as was mentioned earlier in this thread). Still super perplexed by a few of AMS2s behaviors in VR, and I think there is a lot of room left for optimizing from Reiza’s side, but at least the game is playable and looks fantastic now! What a journey to get there though!

4. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Best way to go to achieve what?

If your system is capable, 90 FPS can very easily be achieved and you get rid of reprojection artifacts and some motion blurriness.

However if your system is not high end I agree it's a good compromise setting.

Must be said though that rain and night racing are unachievable at 90fps so there perhaps reprojection can work.

Why do you specifically mention "motion vector"? The setting in steamvr is called motion smoothing, which basically just engages motion vector when setup correctly.

5. Chip

My last message was definitely a bit vague, so now that I have time to clarify:

I've found that the "Motion Vector" setting within the dedicated Windows Mixed Reality HMD settings app within SteamVR app provides the best motion smoothing and most satisfying overall visual experience within AMS2 (Note: I'm referring to Time Trial mode specifically, since this is the only game mode I currently use). This setting, directly compared to Steam's Motion Smoothing, is far smoother for whatever reason (Steam's is basically unplayable to me). I have no idea why this is the case, the difference is extremely obvious when switching back and forth between the two though.

I am not sure why my signature wasn't showing up earlier, but my system specs can be found below. I definitely don't have the highest-end machine, but it is solidly in the upper-end of the spectrum (I think). Testing hasn't revealed any obvious bottlenecks, but I am always open to suggestions on hardware changes. That being said, I haven't been able to achieve 90 FPS locked in Time Trial mode (using Spa as a test track) even after turning all graphics settings to low. Huge caveat: This is with SteamSS set to 100% per HP's own recommendation for the G2 (I will attempt to find the article later). This article, by one of their product engineers, basically states that 100% SS in SteamVR should be used with the HP G2 at the minimum if at all possible, and that in-game graphic settings should be adjusted to make FPS suitable thereafter.

I am completely open (and eager) to try different settings though to compare to where I've landed so far. Do you have some settings you can share? Also, any tips for tweaks to other items (Windows, Nvidia Control Panel, MOBO BIOS, AMS2 doc edits, etc) are more than welcome. I've tried quite a few things, but I am certain I have not tried everything.

Thanks for the response. I look forward to experimenting with any suggestions you can provide.

6. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Hi No problem, I will share some settings.

But about the motion smoothing vs motion vector. To my knowledge there is no difference in the sense that only motion vector is ever used by WMR, there is (I believe) no way to use a different smoothing technique.

The way it works (again, to my knowledge) is that in the WMR settings, you can use a setting that is based on how you set it in steamVR settings, so if you enable motion smoothing in steamVR, it will use motion vector (The WMR method for smoothing).

Yes, 100% render scale is impossible to run 90fps. I use 75% (Edit, I think it is more 60%) or so (steamVR says about 2500x2500 pixels per eye). You can (and really should!) then use the sharpening tweak for a vastly sharper image. Probably it will look as sharp as 100% with the right setting (I use 2.0 sharpening) unless of course you already applied the trick.

For other settings I have MSAA on medium and then a mix of low/mid/high for the other settings. Bur for clarity I am very happy.

So to summarize my most important settings:

- steamVR approx. 75% (2500x2500) (Edit: I think this is more close to 60%)
    - sharpening applied with graphicsconfigdx11 tweak
    - MSAA Med
    - Other settings a combination of low (particles grass shadows), Med (Track) and HIGH (mostly the texture stuff)
    This works 90fps all time full grid except maybe at a start at SPA for a very brief moment it can dip. Night and rain is another story...

Hope that helps, but of course you must choose a setting that works for you. It is subjective.

This is all on a 5800x / 6900XT / 32GB

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

I agree. Although I have a Vive Pro so only have SteamVR motion smoothing for my option, it does not work well with AMS2 at all. It still looks stuttery but still has artifacts. Its very strange because SteamVR motion smoothing works fantastically well in titles like ATS2, MSFS and DCS. These can look smooth even at frame rates as low as 30fps.

As a result I don’t use it for AMS2. Luckily its only night racing that I cant always get 90fps (with my preferred graphics settings which admittedly are pretty high) and only on certain tracks at certain places so don’t need SteamVR motion smoothing for AMS2. I hope they optimise night racing at some point because its worse than PC2 (which I no longer play).

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Maarten Nauta

Maarten Nauta New Member

So what is the story with this madness engine? This VR night performance stuff is not getting fixed, nor are e.g. scrollable replays. Is any company still supporting this engine or is it end of life since PC2 and AMS2/Reiza just uses it and develops content?

9. Gazzawesty

Gazzawesty Skunkedup AMS2 Club Member

End of life? AMS2 hasn't even got started yet, there will be at least three more years of support I reckon. Things are moving slowly but in the right direction.

10. Steve Young

Steve Young Active Member

My Steam VR setting "Nice quality"[​IMG]

11. Chip

Do you have a quantum PC or something?! How the heck are you running those settings?!?!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

By sitting in the pits it appears. I'm guessing performance will take quite a hit with other cars and weather - looks like he is already dropping frames before even hitting the track.
    BTW - increasing MSAA to high has a bigger effect on image quality than running pointlessly high SS

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steve Young

MSAA to high kills my performance. Night and rain I probably drop SteamVR SS to 250. It hold 90fps even racing full field. I am Also using FSR for Open VR found here
    FSR for OpenVR
    Here are my system specs, Nothing special FSR for Open VR helped the most
    "renderScale": 0.70,

// tune sharpness
    "sharpness": 0.9
    i9-9900k (no Overclock)
    RTX 3090
    HP Reverb G2
    16 Gb Ram
    Gagaryn Quote:
    "By sitting in the pits it appears"
    Pit rd, Frontstretch usually has the biggest impact on FPS
    "looks like he is already dropping frames before even hitting the track"
    The dropping frames is an Nvidia driver issue, hopefully they get it sorted
    It has been happening in all my games lately even with low Steam VR SS
    "MSAA to high has a bigger effect on image quality than running pointlessly high SS"
    I would much rather have Clarity down the track and no blurriness over MSAA to high
    image quality. I can read the Label on my fire extinguisher
    This was just to show what is possible... I see a lot of Vr users using Steam VR SS @ 100
    The higher you can get it, the better the clarity. Hope some try it and see the improvement. See you all on track.. Keep tinkering see whats possible. It's only going to get better!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  14. Chip

Thanks for adding some additional details. Perhaps it’s worth trying FSR again. However, I tried installing it once and AMS2 would crash upon launch. Also, I think I read that @NuScorpii did extensive testing and basically determined it wasn’t beneficial overall to use FSR (he’s the one that ported it to AMS2 I believe). Anyway, I’ve just been using that as an excuse to give up on it, but I think it’s time to get it working and try it out.

15. Steve Young

Mine crashed also till I found the AMS2 version, There is a 1.1 now but not yet for AMS2.. I get about a 30% gain using it. Here are the links for AMS2 1.0

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

I have a Reverb G2 and the headtracking doesnt always work properly.
    Sometimes when Im in my car and I move my head irl the cockpit moves along with my headmovement.

For example when I try to look back and move my head forward and turn my head, the whole environment moves along with it, making it impossible to look back properly.

I think I remember this happening in ACC too so it might not be an AMS thing. But hoping someone knows whats going on with that.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  17. Gazzawesty

Gazzawesty Skunkedup AMS2 Club Member

That has never happened to me with Oculus Kevin.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member

Wmr drops back to 3dof tracking (rotation only) if it doesn't think it has usable position data. Perhaps it's just this? Maybe where your rig is there's not enough light or something for the tracking cameras to work with?

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Maarten Nauta

Maarten Nauta New Member

Likely I had the same. I was utterly puzzled about this i thought it was some weird setting but it was just the amount of light in the room.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

Ok thanks, Ive thought about this before because Im sitting behind a super ultrawide that might be blocking a lot of the light from reaching the sensors.

Ill try adding a lamp somewhere and report back.