1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idea for further crew chief integration

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Luke Blum, Aug 27, 2021.

1. Luke Blum

Luke Blum Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think with the current in car menu, its kind of tough to change your pit strategy.

Granted, I know it's on me to get a button box for my rig, but I still think it would be a cool idea if the creators of Crew Chief would work together with Reiza, to enable keyword voice commands to change pit strategies. I looked on their forum and looked at the list of voice commands, but the ones that would be close are for iRacing only.

I understand this might have something to do with what telemetry the game broadcasts, or whatever.

I just want to hear everyone's thoughts on this one. And please, enlighten me if something like this has been requested before, or it can't work, etc.

2. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

My though on the topic is that I would rather like Reiza to re-enable ingame pit crew, engineer and spotter. In Pcars2 those were usefull enough to not care about secondary programs like Crew chief. The function is still there, you can see it when you enable subtitles. All that is missing is the speech files.

3. chonk

chonk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

4. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member

CC does kind of work with the ICM out of the box (mostly...). You need to change your ICM key bindings to something CC can use (WASD keys + a couple of others is the default CC setup, if I remember correctly).

CC interacts with the ICM by blindly sending sequences of key presses that (hopefully...) make the required changes to the ICM. It's been a while since I needed to change pit strategies etc but last time I tried, it did work (voice command "Strategy 2", for example).

Having said that, the combination of requiring keyboard ICM navigation bindings and CC just sending lists of key presses to operate it without any knowledge of its current state, is too unreliable and awkward to be considered a proper solution. CC can't send wheel button presses (it's just impractical to do this in a generic game-independent way) and if each key press doesn't have the expected outcome, the sequence can get out of whack and produce some unexpected outcomes.

I'd definitely welcome a better mechanism for making changes. Sector3 added a load of pit menu state data to their shared memory (cursor position, item selected / unselected, etc etc). While this doesn't fix the key bindings pain it helps a lot when the app can know what state the menu is in and doesn't have to guess.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Luke Blum

Luke Blum Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Wow, much thanks guys!

6. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

The help tab in cc has a good bit of info about how to set it up. I use voice to change strategies, add remove fuel from strategies, change tyre choice and so on...