1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Triple screen Vsync or not

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jimortality, Jun 24, 2021.

?

Triple Screen users - Vsync or not

Poll closed Jun 28, 2021.
  1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. jimortality

jimortality Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm just gauging the opinion. I run with Vsync because I like my triples at 60fps. Looks good, sounds good, tastes good. I see posts and videos about Vsync and it can be like an obsession to some people trying to get as much FPS out of their system as possible. Whenever I try without Vsync, I get some screen tear and the general overall graphics look worse with my eyes. I'd just like to see who does what. I have freesync monitors but I don't think it works. Anyway if you get time, would be nice to have your thoughts and why. Cheers.

2. Koen_Sch

Koen_Sch Active Member

Not a triple screen user, but for me the V-sync is a must. Strange artefact appear when I turn it of. This is not limited to AMS btw.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

I have it on as my screens are only 60hz and when I turn off Vsync I get tearing all over the place. With Vsync on it is all silky smooth. :D
    I play in 7808*1440 and get 60FPS with a grid of 25. Ok no full rain (only light rain works in that res.) or night because that is to heavy for my system. If I want to race with full rain and night I swap back to 5856*1080

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I use Gsync. Works great. 3x 1080p @68fps.

Edit: before I had the Gsync compatible monitors, in game vsync was essential.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I previously had just atandard 1080 60Hz triples and used vsync, but had the bright idea to get these new Gsync compatible 1080p 144Hz screens thinking I could now get drops below 6ofps using gsync bit didn't factor in (in a whiny school girl voice) "Pascal doesn't do Gsync on multi monitors). So I tried just letting them run at 144Hz, 120Hz, 100Hz,75Hz and 60Hz and because my 1080Ti can only just mange 60fps in bad conditions 60Hz looks best. So am back to using Vsync with NVCP set to 60Hz for the desktop until GPU prices normalise.
    I heard people talk about latency from vsync, I don't see it, I turn the wheel, I see movement. It's fine for me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bull Shark

Same for me. I do not see any latency. It is fine by me. I’m afraid that buying a new card is not for me anymore. I do not see a price drop any time soon. I have my 1080ti for 4 years by now and I think it will last for another 4 years. Thanks to the crypto miners…

• Like Like x 1
  7. 2ndLastJedi

China is forcing mining farms to shut....big new really. So prices have actually dropped 15ish % and it looks to be trending down across the whole range. By Christmas I believe we should see proper msrp.

• Like Like x 2
  8. jimortality

I had a 1080ti until march of this year and it was a great card. I bought a new prebuilt pc with a 6800xt AMD card but I don't have the wheel showing so latency has never been a problem for me either. Interesting you say Gsync doesn't do multi monitor, that's probably why I can never get the freesync working.

9. 2ndLastJedi

It does work but just not on Pascal. Turing and newer works fine and I assumed all AMD cards also.

10. Bull Shark

Ah ok, well I will start saving money then. Although I have to buy a new PowerUnit as well and I don’t know if my proc can handle the newer card.

11. jimortality

Right update!!! I have freesync working on triple screen. In the AMD adreline software, you have to enable each individual screen to be freesync. I'm sure I did that before but it's deffo working now, no tear and lovely smooth 60fps with in game Vsync off.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TRCB

TRCB Active Member AMS2 Club Member

below is subjective, and describes my usage case scenario, disclaimer before the FPS crowd burn me at the stake ;)

for simracing I have never seen a need to do more than 60fps, there are arguments that more frames mean more feedback from the controller and less input lag, but consider what we are doing... ,

eye to finger, recognition of a change, and instructing the nervous system to do anything about it, is about 100mm to 300ms.. 3 to 10 possible muscle decisions) and assumes you are waiting for a preprogrammed condition, (no decision to be made, flash light on screen, press button test,so similar to racing where you are waiting for that slip to happen and are ready to catch it with the wheel), but, when your brain needs to make a decision between several choices (waiting for slip in a corner, suddenly spot car in your peripheral, decide if you need to defend or give way. swerve?, brake?, Gear?, accelerator? All of the above?) that slows exponentially.. but, for sake of argument, lets assume you are Bruce Lee and you can half the best possible human recorded time and actually have the muscle dexterity to press a button 20 times a second, thats still only 20fps required for you to make those 20 decisions... your eye/brain needs a minimum of 25-30fps to create the illusion of motion (PAL, NTSC) and at 60fps you would have 3X more information than you can process into actual muscle instruction.. for us regular humans 10X - 20X more information than you can actually do anything with...

So, then we talk about the non programmed eye-brain response time, (playback video and inject a single frame of something NOT in the video but tell the test subjects what it is, and guage at what Hz speed playback people can reliably recognise the object was actually in a video (blind test)) fastest ever response time 13ms.. so ~75hz.., in FPS shooters where 20 brain sucking aliens suddenly appears in front of you out of thin air, this is critical.. but, for us.. the tracks are regular, the road does not suddenly decide its going to go left instead of right, and there arent snipers popping up behind a bush shooting at you... (good idea for a game though!!) you get used to how they flow and you "generally" will travel the same line unless overtaking defending etc you could really play at 30fps if you needed to (like ACC on playstation/xbox is actually locked at 30fps and still selling quite happily.. ).

That leaves Input lag.. this assumes you arent racing on a potato where you are limited for input lag by your device itself, and its only the video framerate, at 60hz, if you turn the wheel, and miss a frame, 16ms.. thats it.. thats what you missed.. a car is not going to suddenly decide its NOT slipping in 16ms, or change its direction of slipping 60 times a second..

So personally i find anything faster than 60hz does not add to my experience, all it does is overheat my CPU and GPU, and to achieve those 6 million FPS i have to keep graphics dialled right down, i prefer the better looking game and find it quite happily works at 60fps.

When I game first person shooters though, i do find a significant advantage to bumping the monitors up to the ~90hz mark and zero improvemnt at anything faster, probably related to the actual 75hz max eye-brain response time, because my surroundings are alway changing rapidly and those naughty aliens that want to suck my brains out do pop up out of no where ;)

In all cases i use vsync.

13ms reponse time
    100-400ms muscle reaction

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  13. 2ndLastJedi

I had a massive win today, my driver was playing up and the task bar kept running across the three screens and nvcp kept crashing so I did what I wasn't going to do again on my old GPU, I updated the driver to the newest.
    Seeing I have 1080p G-Gync 144Hz screens but a Pascal GPU I can't (apparently) get G-Sync across the 3 screens.
    Well today after the driver update, it (as always) resets all settings in nvcp and that's the big win.
    It seems G-Sync is now working, I have no sync enabled in the nvcp or in game, the FPS are running free with no cap and I'm getting around 100 FPS in AMS2 and AC, 120 FPS in ACC and it is tear free and smooth as silk.

AMAZING! This is why I bought the monitors but was unable to appreciate...until today.

Now either I'm dreaming, on drugs (I kind of am), someone swapped out my 1080ti for a newer GPU or the newest driver actually enables G-Sync and nVidia are looking after old cards for some reason.
    Screenshot_20210903-184230_Bing.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Great news. It took me ages to get Gsync working on my triples… mostly due to me being a numpty. I remember feeling absolutely elated when I finally got it working. Great news for you. Gsync is superb.

Tip: cap your frame rates to about 4 or 5 lower than your monitors max using NVCP (around 140 in your case) .

• Friendly Friendly x 1