1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Gazzawesty

Gazzawesty Skunkedup AMS2 Club Member

Did you guys change both the current and always both to high? I've done both and will write back later if it has helped. Thanks for the suggestions.

2. chonk

chonk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

you want to set it to always. current would just mean it returns to its default priority the next time the app launches. Always is persistent.

3. Gazzawesty

Thanks Chonk

4. Shpalman

Shpalman Member AMS2 Club Member

usually you can set priority on task manager, using right click on ams2 process, but you have to do this each time you start the game, process lasso is a small utility that works as task manager, once you start the game, alt+tab on process lasso and right click on AMS2AVX.exe, here you see that you can choose to set priority once or always

5. Shpalman

Shpalman Member AMS2 Club Member

OT: for those who plays ets2 and ats, this works great with both as well

6. Rob Davies

Rob Davies Bobby Dazzler AMS2 Club Member

Hi - it may still help rift users (although I’d wait for others to confirm if it’s risky for you to try!)

bascially process lasso is a program you can download (for free) that lets you apply priorities to apps and services when running - in this case with an older game engine it seems to help reduce what we think is a CPU bottleneck that is throttling the performance of the game under certain conditions (rain, night headlights etc.). If lots of folks benefit (and rift users) I’ll happily make a quick video.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

Thanks gents. I will look into this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

I've also mentioned setting Low latency mode in the Nvidia Control Panel to Ultra several times in this thread, I'm glad you guys are seeing the same results.

9. chonk

chonk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Wondering if you VR peeps are seeing a noticeable performance increase at night on tracks that received optimization passes in yesterday's update. I tried Spa, Interlagos and Silverstone 2001 @ night with my usual settings and saw a decent increase with all of them. Previously I was seeing 45fps at race start in similar conditions whereas afterbthe update that was closer 65-70fps. Curious if it translates over to VR as well?

10. Steve Young

Steve Young Active Member

virtual monitor pre-allocation:

1. Launch Registry Editor
    2. Navigate to “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Holographic”
    3. If the “PreallocateVirtualMonitors” REG_DWORD is not present, create it by selecting Edit > New > DWORD (32-bit) Value and entering PreallocateVirtualMonitors as the name
    4. If the “PreallocateVirtualMonitors” REG_DWORD is present (or you just created it), double-click the entry and change “Value data” to 0
      Then reboot your system

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  11. Rob Davies

Rob Davies Bobby Dazzler AMS2 Club Member

So with last night's new version I'm back to fluctuating frame rates, no matter what the NVidia Control Panel settings or the Process Lasso trick!

I'm lost again.. :/

12. Gazzawesty

In the Oculus tool tray there is a setting for CPU priority and I always set this to high. Does this do the same thing as the Lasso tool? Regardless I have set CPU in Lasso and without much testing really, the game seems to run very constantly. Thanks for all the tips in here everyone

13. Gazzawesty

There is definitely something going on here. Had a little bash just now on kylami and although in vr things seemed ok the TV mirroring the game was a bit choppy. Then I loaded into long beach and the vr was choppy as well as the TV. Last night it was fine for a couple of hours. The big draw to AMS2 for me it's the superb vr so if it stays borked I'm gonna have to find another sim sadly.

14. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

What systems and track combos are you guys running?
    I just spent the whole morning in VR on the Nurburgring with a full field and didnt notice anything unusual..

15. Gazzawesty

I have a Lenovo 3070 laptop. I would have bought a card instead for my big system but couldn't get one or an AMD at the proper price. I know the laptop won't be as good as a full fat card but it's the inconsistency that is puzzling. It was perfect in vr yesterday and all I have done is shut the laptop down and start it back up again today. Nothing has updated and nothing has been changed.

16. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

In case my rig specs in my signature aren’t showing up: I have an RTX 3080 OC, and I5-9600K @ 5 GHz.

17. Kevin del Campo

Ok, Im on a 3080/5600x and even though I get the occasional dip with a full grid, my framerate/frametime are pretty consistent and Im running everything maxed out at 90 fps.

How high are you running "resolution per eye" in SteamVR?
    Im running mine on 50% because I started racing in VR with ACC but Ive also read this is the native resolution for my G2. Ive been told you should be able to run it higher for AMS2 but I honestly cant tell the difference when I do, except that it tanks my framerate.
    Beside that Im running the custom resolution multiplyer at around 70 in the "per app" settings.

Ive sharpened the image slightly in the game files and it looks and runs great except for night...

18. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

I have noticed an improvement in night racing. Even with a 24 car full grid at night on a dark track, there was absolutely no choppiness in VR like in the past. The new update is running super smooth. But please take my input with a bit of salt as I haven't played the game since April, when I couldn't get the game to run smoothly during a night race.

I've done this mod already for my WMR headset, it basically removes virtual monitor pre allocation which frees up a bit of memory. Not a huge improvement, I barely noticed any difference. It removes "extra" virtual monitors which can mess with your icons when you turn ON your VR headset.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Kevin del Campo

Just did a few laps on the Nordschleife in the dark. Some drops in the pits but was able to keep 90fps pretty much all the way!

Pretty sure this wasnt possible before so it does appear something improved… Whatever you did, great job Reiza!

20. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Tests at night must be done with you racing first and a group of cars behind you, that is the only way to test the worst case scenario. I don't believe some track optimizations will solve that issue, though I would love to be proven wrong though...

• Agree Agree x 3