1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 June 2021 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 1, 2021.

1. bmerrell

bmerrell Member

I agree this is interesting, but it's probably very difficult to tell based on the available data. For example, even if a particular player would prefer multiplayer, they might not spend much time there currently. Likewise, there are probably some folks who would spend a lot of time in a proper single-player career or even championship season mode but have waited until that system is fully polished.

Finally, it's unclear how we would count time spent in things like Time Trial mode. Obviously that's single-player, but it's not tied to a lot of the single-player or racing-related development pushes (AI, changing conditions, historic conditions, etc.). Some people also use the TT mode to prep for multiplayer races.

In any case, suffice to say there are people in all the various modes, but what we observe at the moment in practice probably isn't very informative if we're trying to estimate what things might look like if everything was already running smoothly.

2. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

The only thing that would make single player work to me is proper fleshed out championships and well-defined AI. Think something like easy, medium, hard, expert settings... But that's difficult to do because the AI isnt the same speed everywhere and has too many variables. But I cant tell if Im improving or getting worse or what when I'm racing AI. But some kind of basic neutral difficulty state and a career mode would have me in AMS2 for hundreds and hundreds of hours. But for now all we have is a bake your own and track your own points approach... which it works, but it's just not very satisfying.

TT mode is, to me, an extension of multiplayer because it's still competition against humans. I do like the idea of multi-lap time trials, sort of like what iRacing has. I think someone mentioned that. Who's faster over 5 laps? Would be interesting.

And multiplayer is where I spend most of my time, but I just use iRacing for that these days, even though the physics are demonstrably worse and far less fun. I pay more money, for worse graphics and a worse physics model, just because the multiplayer mode has been left to rot in AMS2. Consider all the huge advantages AMS2 has in that regard, and it's just ignored. Kind of a shame. We dont even have the weekly challenges and events yet.

ALl that to say.... current user spread isn't really going to tell you much. If you ignore multiplayer, no one will use it. You've lost those players, usually permanently. Same with single player. You can focus on building up your strengths or shoring up your weaknesses, but I dont think there's a clear way to correlate users and their habits to what your goal should be. Unless they can see how many users of their total users ever played single player or multiplayer, and how long they did it, and whether they were retained.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Keep it simple. It’s not necessary to count minutes spent in several modes.
    A simple poll would do (Do you prefer singleplayer or multiplayer?)…

4. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

TT mode is the only part of AMS2 I use.
    Mainly because it gives me the possibility to measure/compete my laptimes against other humans.
    And at the same time gives me the possibility to go deep into my hobby of tweaking/creating custom setups.
    Hehe and in TT mode Im also free from having to accept to be wrecked by all the idiots that does infect MP mode.:rolleyes:

ByTheWay: Conserning iRacings more advanced version of TT mode then I would gladly accept if Reiza completely discarded the rather game-ish 1 lap TT mode as it is now in AMS2 - and instead introduced a similar format as iRacings 5-7 laps TT mode. Where your record on the TT LB is the AVG´ed laptime of your first fault free 5-7 laps.;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. bmerrell

bmerrell Member

Right, but phrased that way it depends whether people think you're asking whether they prefer the current single or multiplayer modes, or if they might prefer an alternative mode in its ideal form.

I, for example, currently spend most of my time in single player modes but would prefer multiplayer if it updated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I cant remember where I have it from but there have been several reasonable polls showing - to a lot of peoples surprise - that the majority of sim drivers did prefer some kind of single player service over MP.

ByTheWay: But one thing I do recall is that it was because iRacing made a surview of what members of their originally 100% MP service wanted most - that they have spend (probably) millions creating the best AI drivers existing.;)

7. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

I dont think you're quite following the crux of the issue here. You have a HUGE survivor bias to your polling. It's like going to the iRacing boards and asking whether they prefer single or multiplayer. Theyre all going to vote multiplayer. The problem Reiza has with this game is it has the ingredients for a genre-revolutionizing career mode, AND for a genre-revolutionizing multiplayer mode. But all the multiplayer guys (like myself) have moved on aside from random hot lapping against times that may not even be relevant anymore. But I would come back in a heartbeat and cancel my iRacing sub and forget the hundreds I've spent over there if Reiza had MP ranking/data tracking system.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

You're ignoring the roadmap updates on multiplayer the devs have provided. Some of those updates were provided at the start of this very topic.
    Being impatient is one thing, but saying it's been left to rot is just incorrect.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Not sure where to post this, but is there a July development update posted somewhere? We are almost through August, and I find it worrisome there hasn’t been an update for last month…

Also, I’m a big fan of the multi-lap TT mode. A fully ranked multiplayer system would also be nice, but without actual stewards, any multiplayer system is going to be flawed from the onset. Not saying it can’t be enjoyable, but there’s no perfect algorithm to account for fault vs victim for incidents.

10. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Reiza made communications that all is good. They are just very busy with the upcoming update.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

There was no end of July update. There will probably be a end of August dev update in the coming days.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. TischKadaver

TischKadaver New Member AMS2 Club Member

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Yes, there will be!

• Like Like x 1
  14. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

[​IMG]
    Leaving this here for no particular reason.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

@oez You've got it all wrong.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Look at these caster angles @Luke Blum !!

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Finally, a worthy opponent for the Uno...

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

oi

Even so these usually lack front bite and seem to rotate around their center...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Agreed, Its why I can never hit an apex

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

You have to drive it sideways!
    Also, reduce caster and camber and use some positive toe in the front, that cures all!

• Funny Funny x 1