1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.2.3.0 RELEASED - Now updated to V1.2.3.1

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Aug 30, 2021.

1. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I would like to see more heli cameras, like what we have at Ibarra currently

2. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

Think of a drone perpendicular camera on this spot, like 10m over

3. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

Not sure if this is already reported or not so apologies but the C3-R seems to have taken a mid-engine transplant somehow, although the C3-TC gets smoke from the front as intended upload_2021-9-5_16-10-59.png

4. Darío Quiza

Darío Quiza Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, it happens with other cars also, including the hot air effect.

5. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That's another example of why a fan of the game has actually no clue what goes into making the game. They use real-world reference. Why would you even think they don't? Renato and the guy in charge of the cameras put a lot of work into finding the correct camera positions, but these can't always be made to work. To find one camera position it can be a long time to locate it, then try to make it work with not just the F1 cars, but also other cars as well. When an F1 car comes at the camera, it might look decent, but when a slow car comes, it can be a tedious wait for the viewer. There are compromises.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Beccobunsen

We talking on positioning a camera in a 3d world.
    There is is a tool for this. There is a person dedicate to this. (maximun respect also)

Is not the core programming of physics..is a camera in a 3d world. is tedius, ripetitive, long task, i get this. but so difficult?
    We are talking about a desire of a modern interpretation in the camera position. More dynamic and stuff
    And you are like, silence you people...you have no clue.

Calm down, we are on the same boat..

We would love to have a Ferrari in the game...
    no..you have no clue...you dont know the Italian guys...mmmm mannaggia!

Defending too much can be detrimental

Peace and love.

ps

And in the podcast @steelreserv they talked about this aspect and from what I understand the tool that takes care of the cameras has a lot of functions and effects that you can use.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  7. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't want to impose/pretend knowing what belongs to the task of camera implementation full scale, but it's indeed not as easy, as we initially would think.

Biggest challenge is setting them up to be triggered correctly according to their position on track and the car, focussed on, without doing strange stuff over the run of a session. This might take some attention to detail and some compromises to not get in conflict with certain circumstances and interactions between several triggered events. So yeah, it is indeed a difficult task to do, more than we think very likely. (I was communicating with @Todd Norbury about cases of cameras working strangely myself, so i don't make things up here, just to be clear)

And you have to learn the finer points in the process. This is NOT trivial, like it also was somewhat pointed out in the conversation of the podcast.

Software does strange stuff. I read more "go figure" (in other areas though) by myself in the games progress, than you could imagine, ngl. :D

8. Todd Norbury

Todd Norbury norbs AMS2 Club Member

I think I am not sure what you mean? And, a lot depends on what track you mean. Most of the time, my job is to "try" and recreate the TV cams. Also, because of some wrinkles in the way high up cams handle some shadows, I try and keep them to a minimum.

See below. Middle coordinate is height, and apart from one dangling off the grandstand to show the pits, most arent very high.

[​IMG]
    Note, ground level isnt flat and isnt zero. This camera is at 8.8m.

[​IMG]

I hope that helps. If you see any way up high that dont seem right, you can report them in the track section and I might be able to take a look. If they are on some of the Brazilian tracks, they maybe conversions that I havent gotten to yet, all in good time. :)

• Informative Informative x 13
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Todd Norbury

I try my best, but there are limitations to what i can achieve. But Im happy to get feedback. Have a listen to the Boltcast, i explained some of the limitations and compromises I have to make on there.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Todd Norbury

Have you reported them to the right place?

11. Todd Norbury

One day I will work out the multi quote thing. :)

Thanks @Kuku Maddog for posting the podcast.

@Beccobunsen I will have a look at those videos when I knock Monza over. Thank you.

@Dolph thanks for listening to the podcast with @steelreserv :)

And thanks to all the rest of you who take interest in the trackside cameras. I will keep trying to do my best, and hopefully make you all happy at some point.

• Like Like x 15
    • Friendly Friendly x 7
  12. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

It's a bit of a niche interest within a niche hobby :). I think when there's decent trackside cameras, you don't even think about them watching the replay. If all goes well you get to see all the action with good automated editing. Which also makes your job inherently a bit thankless. A bit like typesetting for a book. You'd have to try reading a book with poor typography to realise that value.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

... said one fan of the game to another. :)

14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

This is true, but still, the power delivery of the Vette at low rpm seems off. You should be able to launch the car from rest (in the pits or "on the street") with almost no rpm above idle (because of the high low-end torque of these old V8s). And the idle speed should be in the 600 to 900 rpm range (depending on whatever model is being simulated). Tweaks to come I am sure.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

Yeah, I fully understand that there are limitations/quirks etc with anything and the tools being used, as well as it being a tedious job also, so I sympathise.

Totally different game ending/tools, everything, but I make mod tv cameras for Assetto Corsa, so I'm loosely familiar with the peculiarities and limitations of the tools there also. Just a replay camera fanboy thinking out loud. :D

16. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

double post, pls delete.

17. Todd Norbury

All good. I did a few AC cams too. But started out in GPL :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Beccobunsen

...with this type of cams

wN662.jpg

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. F1 Hero

F1 Hero Active Member

After some weeks without playing AMS2 I did some offline races yesterday with the F1 Classic Gen 3 (01 and 03), with all the driving helps turned off, and it seems to me there is still the "invisible stability control" (microcorrections that the game does by itself in the car trajectory), that make these cars (that are among my favorites) to have an arcadey feeling to me.

Do you people agree with it, and is it a known issue by Reiza, anyone knows?

20. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Renato stated a few months ago there's no hand of God. Its a broodje aap-verhaal

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021