1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

System spec is in my sig - 2080 Ti. Car Detail, Track Detail and Particle Density Ultra, everything else High except Detailed Grass Off.

• Like Like x 1
  2. patrick le

patrick le New Member AMS2 Club Member

Oh dang what am I doing wrong with my RTX 3080?? I'm doing mostly med and high for car and track detail. MSAA is also set to High.

After looking at your sig - the difference sounds like you have an Index and I have the HP G2

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  3. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Probably not using openvr_fsr. Still have to try it myself, but apparently it's working ok now

4. patrick le

patrick le New Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm pretty sure I'm using openvr_fsr and the logs don't show anything unusual.

-----------------------

5. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

Tried OpenVR FSR for the first time today, and initial impressions are very good :)
    SteamVR resolution @ 100%, on my G2 that is 3164x3096 pixels.

OpenVR FSR settings:
    renderScale: 0.77
    sharpness: 0.9
    radius: 0.5

WMR Motion Vector Reprojection ON.
    In game graphics settings:
    upload_2021-9-6_23-37-25.png

Did a 20 minute race at Spielberg with 31 opponents, transitioning from sunny daylight to thunderstorm at night.
    Frametimes from fpsVR:
    upload_2021-9-7_0-8-7.png
    I found this very playable, framerate only really dropped with cars bunched up behind and in front of me during the night.
    I need to play around a bit more with the settings, but I think I will be able to find one single setup that is usable in all weather conditions :)

Attached Files:

6. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Could you possibly check something for me and report back? Can you setup a race with 15+ AI in GT3 AMG, at Nurburgring Veedol, midnight, starting front or mid pack (not last, you need headlights behind you) and report your frame rate into turn 1? This kills my frame rate at night , clear weather with a 11900K/3080. I mean murders it. I'm hitting 13ms here. I only have MSAA on Medium btw.

I don't have any issues running 90fps during the day with light rain. Its night time that kills me with lots of headlights directly behind me.

Personally, I don't understand how people don't notice the severe visual degradation of FSR even at 0.77 render scale. I have to ramp up my SS so much to compensate for the poor result that I end up back at square 1 in terms of frame rate. I pretty much gave up on it.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  7. torsteinvh

Maybe I'm old and my eyes are failing me, but I wouldn't call the degradation severe. The stuttering and low frame rates I get without FSR is far more immersion killing in my opinion. I only started testing FSR yesterday, so haven't played all that much with it yet, but so far it looks promising.

But I guess image quality varies a lot between the different headsets. My Reverb G2 renders around 3000x3000 pixels @ 100% SS, which I think is quite a bit more than the Vie Pro?

8. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

I've downloaded the OpenVR-FSR_1.1 file but, being a technoidiot, am not sure where I need to put the openvr_api.dll.

AMS2 is on my steam account and looking in Steam/SteamApps/Common/Automobilsta2 I see a steam_api.dll file - should the openvr_api.dll go in there?

9. Shpalman

Shpalman Member AMS2 Club Member

find a folder called x64

• Like Like x 1
  10. torsteinvh

As said in the post above there is an 'x64' subfolder under the 'Automobilista 2' folder.
    There is already an 'openvr_api.dll' file there, rename that so you can go back if you don't like FSR.
    Copy the new 'openvr_api.dll' and the 'openvr_mod-cfg' files into the 'x64' folder.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

At the end of the day, I find just reducing SteamVR SS basically gets me the same results and image quality as cocking around with this FSR.

12. Gagaryn

That was my initial experience too. Two things to try - reduce radius to 0.4, you can try turning on debugging to make this radius temporarily visible - on the Index at least 0.4 covers more than enough for me. And check how much sharpening you have applied in the AMS2 graphics config. None is not good. Too much is not good. I settled on 0.4. Will try your test later and report back.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gagaryn

Yup - this knackered my frame rate too. Even reduced Steam SS to 170 and framerate was still over 13ms at the start - fluctuated between 10 and 13 ms for the first lap . Not ideal but was driveable - I have motion smoothing off and the frame rate variation was noticeable but not too jarring. I appreciate others might find this more annoying than I do - I think I've learned to live with settings that are the best compromise for the moment. I do believe FSR helps though and is worth some experimenting with

• Like Like x 1
  14. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

I just tested fsr. I played with steam SS untill I found a setting where I have similar performance and then I switched back between settings. I notice a significant increase in sharpness using fsr with increased super sampling. I use 0.77 / 0.4 settings as suggested

Without fsr I have a resolution of 2500*2500 (I really wish everyone stops telling how much SS they apply and simply state resolution per eye!)

With fsr I bumped the resolution to 3000*3000 giving similar performance. It's very noticeably sharper. Much less aliasing and shimmer.

I use MSAA MED. This gives me 90fps at daytime against 29 AI

I was quite sceptical, but fsr really helps improve image quality

15. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

Does what you are all talking about regarding fsr etc apply to oculus rift s? Don’t laugh cos I’m not tech savvy

Thanks

16. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

It's irregardless of VR headset or GPU. It's basically a fancy upscaling tool that renders below the set resolution and upscales it back to the set resolution.

17. Gagaryn

Non tech savvy answer - Yes! :)

18. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Wow!!! Although I am super happy for you, I am simultaneously jealous: With my RTX 3080 I can't get anywhere close to this. I realize that 190 SS on the Index is different than the Reverb G2, but even if I reduced SS to 150% and kept the 0.77 render scale, and even dropped radius to .3, I would be no where near 90 FPS even in clear/dry with those same graphics settings. Maybe this is solely a Time Trial problem thing, so I will see how performance is impacted across different game modes. I've solely been testing within Time Trial, but I'll have to test other game modes as well.

Anyone have tips for getting rid of the shimmer using FSR? I have my non-FSR settings @ 45FPS nailed down perfectly, but using FSR in hopes of achieving 90 FPS, I can't seem to find something that runs smoothly and doesn't shimmer a lot in the middle of the picture, especially in the mid to far distance.

19. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

People should really stop mentioning steam SS value and instead report resolution per eye. This only causes confusion when people have different headsets.

20. Steve Young

Steve Young Active Member

@Chip I think the shimmering your talking about is coming from the sharpness.. Try turning it down a little