1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.2.3.0 RELEASED - Now updated to V1.2.3.1

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Aug 30, 2021.

1. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 4
  2. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I used to agree with you. Those cars felt "too easy" for some skill-less guy like me jump into it and push it around.

But then I started paying more attention to old vids and current gen F1 and sometimes the cars do behave like that. At least from the outside.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

Every cars with fours wheels, even the oldest one, has a self alining tendency once you let it go. Otherwise we would have never been able to drive them without electronics. Its the same for airplanes, those straight out on their own without steerign input.

This is also one of the reason for my "toe in" mantra, it helps a lot to catch a oversteer by its own.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

How often did a situation like this happen in that race, every lap, with every car/driver...
    No, this is just one special moment when something unusual happen.
    All the spectacular scenes we know today from the past are the same rare moments as today. If whatching onboard cams, the drivers driving smooth and 'relaxed', if in 2000++ years or in 1990 or 1980 or 1970 or 1960 or....
    The only reason why it may look a bit more wild is because the onboard cam is shaking more and without power steering the strokes to the steering wheel are not damped as with power steering.
    In 1985, driving a F1 car is really relaxing :)

Or in 1975

Or in 1966 at Indianapolis

If I compare it with my driving in AMS2, either real life is a game or AMS2 is like real life;)

• Like Like x 2
  5. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

Do you play with wheel or controller?
    I play with Xbox 360 controller and I have this feeling that the game sometimes auto-corrects my steering even if I have all driving aids turned off and controller damping = 0.

6. McClutch

What, do you think happens when you take your hands from a FFB wheel... it centers itself due to the forces of the front axle.

Even with all "aids" off, using gamepads always utilizes altered inputs, it can never be the same, but the autocentering is a RL feature of any car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

I've been playing with a gamepad for a short while for reasons. I'm not an expert at gamepad AMS2, but it does certainly do some of that auto-correcting input for you. However I think what's being discussed here is just a car's tendency to straighten itself in certain situations. Or if it should or shouldn't. People have different opinions on this, but I think it's good to have some assist there. Gamepads lack a lot of finesse and obviously all FFB. I would also agree with anyone asking for an option to turn such assists off completely.

Just my 2 cents for the chassis self-centering convo
    (if this is about that)

In my experience with AMS2 it can be the case if you have rear biased aero which means that you can't spin the car by just turning too much at high speed. The rear tires have more grip at the limit this way. If you lose the rear due to a bump or other temporary factor it will straighten itself quite easily if it still has more grip. Decrease rear wing and/or increase rake and this hand of god effect is gone. Try it.

It's another case altogether if your rear tires are close to overheating. The slightest aggressive slip (as is the case if you temporarily lose the rear) will overheat them and the self-aligning balance is gone.

What's worse is if you apply opposite lock, but not quite enough, the front tires will be within their limit and grip better. But they will also effectively steer towards the inside contributing to oversteer.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

I'm not talking about auto centering, I'm talking about correcting: there's a right turn, I turn right, return the analog stick to center, after I return the stick to center the game brings the car to the left a bit and I have to turn right again to compensate for the game trying to auto correct my steering. I don't tap steer, I use precision steering combined with throttle control so this auto correcting can be very annoying.

I don't mind the default controller setup being catered to casuals and having built-in aids & assists but ideally there should be an option to completely disable those things. That's one of main complains from controller users that so far has not been addressed by Reiza.

9. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

You are not talking of the look at apex thing?
    Are the opposite lock aid disabled (is only for pad)

10. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Toe in on the rear you mean?

11. McClutch

On both, more in the rear.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. GearNazi

GearNazi Well-Known Member

Guys, just quickly out of wonder as to how this flies under the radar so badly...

Downloads Autmobilista 2

The guy has a video on the Alpine mod, and a link to it, he explains how to install it.
    Really check out the projectcarsmoddingteam site if you haven't.
    So far I've only tried the Jag and the Alpine, and especially the latter feels incredible(the FFB?!)

I realize this isn't the modding title of choice, and the process is a little more cumbersome than you might be used to, but this is worth while, even with the ample choice in the official roster.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Jebus

Jebus The Lying Finn AMS2 Club Member

I think I read somewhere that all these car mods use physics from official Reiza cars. If that's the case they are a complete meh to me.

Someone please correct if I'm wrong.

14. GearNazi

Yeah, that figures...
    Would be quite something if it measured up or surpassed Reiza's content, for free.

Still, for the Alpine alone it's fantastic... The FFB is spot on, I wouldn't be able to tell what it was based on.
    It can't quite say if there's McL 570 in it, might be.
    In any case, I'm happy I stumbled upon it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Serta Farenz

Serta Farenz Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm not sure about that. The Jaguar and the Alpine feel very... themselves. Not saying you are wrong because I have no facts to support that.
    And If I understood the modding correctly, you do input some physics data into all of that.

I'll gladly abide to anybody who understands the coding of the mods better than I do. I just enjoy driving them and offering them to all y'all.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Serta Farenz

Thanks for noticing and linking. I'll be testing more in the future. Specially those that are not on the projectcarsmoddingteam site :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jebus

Jebus The Lying Finn AMS2 Club Member

In any case it wasn't an official statement from a dev but someone in some AMS2 facebook group I stumbled upon.
    I don't mind them using Reiza physics, but they are not for me then. AC modding scene has made me somewhat anal when it comes to physics.:D

But also I know from the AC world that it's possible to use official physics for random cars, dunno if that's the case with AMS2 though.

To be clear I'm very much promodding. I just want to know if a mod have legit physics or borrowed from some other car.

• Like Like x 3
  18. F1 Hero

F1 Hero Active Member

A G29 wheel.

19. Serta Farenz

Tell you what: Test the Alpine 110 and let us know what you think. I can't say I have driven every car in AMS2 (because that would be A LOT of cars) but the physics of that car did not remind me of any official AMS2 car.

As you can see at a glance in the channel, I've mostly tested AC mods, so I know where you are coming from.

And for sure, as long as we get offered AMS2 mods that are worth being shown, we'll make videos about AMS2 mods :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. GearNazi

You mean to say there's more?! I wouldn't know where to look for 'm, there's nothing on RaceDept. or anything.
    Please feel free to post a link... Can PM me too as to not further derail the thread.
    consider my intrest peaked, after some more racing I'm quite sure some capable hands did stuff to these cars... I'm too familiar at this point with any of the cars they'd arguably be modelled on to not notice the individual feel and quirks these mods bring.
    I always thought the few mods that were around were just "lazy" ports, but some are clearly not.