1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Real Weather Report Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 28, 2021.

1. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm pretty sure it dries out at the speed of whatever you have the time progression set to. I always play with time progression and the track dries out way quicker than it would in real time

2. twistking

twistking Member

Thanks for the answer. Ok i will test again then. I think i was more focused on weather progression isntead of time progression.

I think it would be better to have drying independent of time acceleration. sometimes you want to run hgher time acceleration (for example for a virtually shortened 24h race), but having the track dry with 30x the normal speed would be a bit stupid i think.
    maybe add a toggle "force track changes to real time" or similar?!

3. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

Drying is actually influenced by Weather acceleration, which is a time acceleration option separated from time accel. At real weather time it will slowly dry out. At x2 it will be twice as fast. At 10, you get the jist.

Only half exception is if you run real weather, weather acceleration will match time accel. :)

4. twistking

twistking Member

Ok. thanks for the answer. But wouldn't you agree that drying should be real time, or at least be optionally real time?!
    i feel that all the nice tactics and gameplay the drying line physics offer are lost when the track is completely dried up after one or two rounds...

5. Shriukan

I get that however LiveTrack is a complicated matter in the sense that the entire track surface gets progressively modified. The weather itself determines the track state.
    In other words, if it stops raining in 2x, the track is drying at 2x. If it rains at 2x, the track is being flooded with twice the amount of water. You can't separate it because of how the weather is the factor that influences the track state. You can't have rain flood the track at 2x but have the sun dry it at 1x or vice versa.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. twistking

twistking Member

i understand. it's complicated.
    maybe the answer would be to allow for a bit more variety within a single weather slot.
    i often use moderate weather progression (2x - 10x) simply because on real time weather the weather still can feel feel a bit "static" for shorter session.
    for example i miss a slot with "rain showers", where there are some bursts of light rain over the period of a weather slot. at the moment the only way to get soemthign similar is having many slot with 10x weather progression and having every 2nd as light rain. but this then also results in unrealisticaly quick drying of the track.

7. F1Aussie

I always set time acceleration at either 5x or 10x and it syncs the weather to that automatically.

8. Shriukan

An option to increase/decrease variability within a weather slot (whether during transition or the slot itself) would be something I would wholeheartedly support ^^

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. chonk

chonk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yup! Generally having more control over what can or cannot occur inside a random slot would be really useful. For example rain generally tanks my framerate, I have to adjust settings prior to a rainy race or if I decide to use random weather. It would be cool to have the option to set the possibility of rain/any other condition to zero.

10. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

After latest update to 1.2.1.4, game still can not find data for historic wheater, no matter which track/date I try.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ozcanuck

ozcanuck Active Member

I also have trouble getting weather to change from today's live weather...even going to Custom weather ( light cloud) gives me today's live weather....rain! Seems intermittant which is annoying. Is there a cache or something to clear?

12. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

after latest patch 1.2.2.0 it seems to work for me.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ozcanuck

ozcanuck Active Member

Corrupted file I think. Steam verify downloaded a file and it seems normal now. Had fun race with RSR at old Silverstone on drying wet track.

14. Yerffej

Yerffej Member

Historic weather not available for both Adelaide circuits.
    Thanks

15. F1Aussie

There is definitely still issues with real weather. I regularly leave a session if there is rain when the real weather for that day says there wasn't any and then when I reload that session the weather conditions are completely different.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Nobkins

Nobkins Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Real weather data. I have read it is in local time for the track but does it factor in summer time zone shifts?

Running a 2016 replica event. GT4 3 hours of Silverstone.

The race started a 12:50 local time and was very wet. In game I use 13:00 and track is dry. 14:00 and it is wet.

Here is race info showing start time and details. Of course it might not be the weather data that is wrong but this is not first time I have felt maybe data was out by an hour. Silverstone 3 Hours 2016 - Racing Sports Cars

And a video showing it was A very wet start to the race.

If it doesn't account for British Summer Time (GMT+1) shift then that would explain the offset.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

I'll fall out of my chair if all the various temporary time shifts get taken into account in the game's timing and weather. One way to test is to check sunrise/sunset times for the dates affected. Are they also off by the one-hour shift? I will predict yes.

18. Nobkins

Nobkins Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes good idea.

I wouldn't be surprised if the error is not summer time zone related as there are a huge number of factors at play, not least the fact that the "start time" i have for the race could be inaccurate!

Another question (which I'm not expecting an answer for!) is....

if a race is using real weather and the lead-up to the start of the race is very wet but, is that taken into account to the track conditions? So if a race is due to start when there was "light rain" but preceding it was 2 hours of heavy rain will the track be damp or soaking wet.

Over at AMSUnofficial we have decided to try and replicate real "interesting" weather races. Been pretty good so far but it has also led to me having lots of other questions :D

19. Mathew

Mathew New Member

***Deleted to reply instead***

20. Mathew

Mathew New Member

I am also unable to gain access to the real weather information on any track combination. This has been the case for the last few updates. Every track offers the error that was previously screenshotted.

Has anyone found a fix for this? I have verified my files, reset my settings etc. no dice.