1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Miwashi

Miwashi New Member

I was playing AMS2 on my Quest 2 with a Ryzen 2600 and 1060 GPU, and it had acceptable framerate and was playable.
    Today I upgraded my CPU to a Ryzen 5600x, and all of a sudden in VR AMS2 is very very choppy and unplayable. I tried other games, and their performance is much better than when I was on a Ryzen 2600, so I'm puzzled as to why AMS2's VR performance dropped. I'm using a wired connection and not air link.

I also noticed that when I recenter the VR view, I am slightly behind the driver, so I can see the hole where his neck is supposed to be.

Has anyone experienced this?

EDIT: I just realized this choppiness is only in Oculus VR model I tried it on SteamVR and it runs smooth. I thought Oculus VR should have less overhead.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  2. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

Have you tried adjusting your seat position forward or up a bit?

Ive had this problem a few times and thought it was a bug, until I mapped some buttons to adjust my seat position.

3. radkappe

radkappe New Member AMS2 Club Member

@Shodan0000
    Without fsr I have a resolution of 2500*2500 (I really wish everyone stops telling how much SS they apply and simply state resolution per eye!)

With fsr I bumped the resolution to 3000*3000 giving similar performance. It's very noticeably sharper. Much less aliasing and shimmer.

What are your Hardware specs?

4. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

I have exactly the same experience! 5800x 6900xt

Thanks for stating the resolution, but sorry for sounding pushy. ;)

5. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

We all have our own little bugbears. :) Makes more sense to me to refer to the SS% though - as long as we know the HMD we can work out the size of the image being rendered if that interested us. When I think about SS I think in percentages - not resolutions.

6. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Just easier to compare resolutions though. With steam VR hardly any excuse since it is shown in the settings. On oculus it is not though.

Although, perhaps we should mention the Hz too.

Let's just all calculate the pixels per second handled by the HMD :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Zolazem

Zolazem Member AMS2 Club Member

I’m thinking of buying a VR headset, the plan is that i switch from VR to monitor and back, because i cannot play inVR always.
    Do i have to change graphics settings and fiddling all the time?

8. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

No, thankfully AMS2 have separate settings for VR and monitor :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Rob Davies

Rob Davies Bobby Dazzler AMS2 Club Member

Just as a quick update. Managed to get 90fps sorted with most eye candy with my G2… except night lights of course.

forcing DX11 mode in WMR (in headset) really helped.

as previous posts, but Turned MSAA to medium and shadows from ultra to high.

150% SS in steam per-game (100 global), FSR 0.7 render scale, 0.3 radius and 0.9 sharpness (0.5 in openvraettings.xml)

• Like Like x 1
  10. radkappe

radkappe New Member AMS2 Club Member

you mean certainly graphicsconfigopenvrdx11.xml, don't you?
    And then sharpeningstrength?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. patrick le

patrick le New Member AMS2 Club Member

Forcing DX11 mode in WMR helped for me as well! Thanks @Rob Davies

• Like Like x 1
  12. Steve Young

Steve Young Active Member

Is there a way to access this menu without a controller?

13. Mikk Schleifer

Mikk Schleifer Active Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 1
  14. Steve Young

Steve Young Active Member

Thanks Mikk

• Like Like x 1
  15. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

Hi to all,

I have the Oculus CV1 and a RTX 2080 to play AMS2. This combination runs fine, I can get 90 fps with a combination of settings which nets me a spare GPU load to account for weather changes. Not always 90 fps in heavy rain combined with night racing but close enough for my liking.

I want to buy the HP Reverb G2 headset, but I will still run it with my 2080 until GPU prices drop in order to get a 3080/6800XT at a more sensible price, so I need some advise from people who are using the G2 with not the latest GPU gen.

Mainly, I want the G2 for better clarity and visuals, still holding 90 fps if possible, so I will need to reduce visual settings on the game, and render resolution aswell with the 2080. By doing so, someone can tell me if, at the end, visuals will be better than those I have now with the CV1?

For the record, I don't run supersampling in the game, only MSAA to High. I use the Oculus Debug tool to set supersampling from 1 to 1.2, depending the track and weather conditions.

Lately I was experimenting with Steam VR mode and the modified library with FSR support, and it runs very well with Steam VR supersampling at 150/170% (sorry, I don't remember right now the exact resolution) and FSR quality settings. Still some shimmering on fences and shadows, but my brain has adjusted to that since some time ago so not a big deal when racing.

Thank you!!

16. Donato

Donato Member

I took the same leap as you and it's another world, the resolution is incredible.

17. Rob Davies

Rob Davies Bobby Dazzler AMS2 Club Member

I went from Q1 to G2 with a 2070 powering things and it’s a big leap. You either run reprojection work more candy or higher supersampling, or 90fps with little candy and lower SS…. Either way it’s a personal preference but you’ll be ok with the 2080 and have a (in regards to your GPU upgrade) future proof headset.

18. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

Thank you both for responding, I'll take the G2 then :)

19. lensman45

lensman45 Member

Just a Heads Up for Quest 2 drivers. The latest software (v33) has added a sharpening option for Link and AirLink. It is awesome! You won't need the AMS2 ini file tweak anymore. For me the sharpening looks more detailed.
    You'll need the update on both the headset and the Oculus PC app. It's rolling out, so be patient :)

20. Zolazem

Zolazem Member AMS2 Club Member

I have a question about the startup sequence in steam with a Reverb G2 Most of the time everything runs really good. But sometimes there is something off and i have really low FPS.
    Maybe i do something wrong on startup?

Also sometimes the gamescreen on my monitor is in the corner of my desktop in small window but another time this is a stretched full screen.

How do i have to start everything?
    I’m new to VR so all help will be appreciated.