1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Button mapping not working properly

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by Duncan Halliday, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Duncan Halliday

Duncan Halliday New Member AMS2 Club Member

This week I've been having an issue where my buttons won't map correctly in AMS2. All my wheels use Leo Bodnar boards and I've had no issues until recently. Now I get 'Unknown button' when I try to map anything. On some buttons I get weird names like 'RS' which makes me think AMS2 might assume that it's an xbox controller or something. Any ideas what might cause this and how to fix it? Basically I can't use the sim at the moment which is really frustrating.

I grudgingly booted up ACC to check the controls there and everything was working as expected so I don't think it's an issue with the boards or the USB.

The next thing I'll try is deleting the config files and start from scratch. Just a bit frustrating!

On a more general note... Is there a reason why we can't have control mapping similar to that in MSFS 2020? In MSFS the sim shows all connected controllers and allows you to map whatever control you like to each of them. So if you wanted a button on ten different devices to all be mapped to the same control, you can.

This would make mapping controls for people with multiple wheels really easy because you'd map the controls to each wheel and then never have to worry about it again. Instead of (in theory!) mapping the buttons to each wheel and saving that as a separate profile which you then have to remember to load if you want to use that wheel. Since you can only load profiles in the main options menu it's a bit frustrating if you have to exit a race to change the profile and then set up the race again.

This isn't an issue just with AMS2, I think most sim racing titles have pretty poor user interfaces when it comes to mapping multiple controllers. It would be great to see a system more like MSFS implemented.

2. Duncan Halliday

Nope, deleting the controller config didn't work, it still comes up with Unknown Button. Also it reminded me how frustrating it is trying to get the steering axis to assign without it saying 'Multiple inputs have been detected'. Grrrr!

3. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

AMS2 supports multiple profiles since 1.2.2.0, released end of July.
    What version are you on?

4. Duncan Halliday

I'm on the latest version. Yeah, it supports multiple profiles, but it would be nice to not need them. To be able to just map as many buttons to the same input as you like, so you just need one overall profile and don't have to switch them.

That way for example 'gear up' could be button 1 on your sequential shifter, button 5 on steering wheel 1, button 13 on steering wheel 2, button 9 on steering wheel 3, etc. And you wouldn't have to worry about switching profiles when you replace a wheel rim because they'd already all be mapped.

5. Duncan Halliday

Though the main issue I'm having at the moment is I can't map any buttons to my wheel so the profiles are largely irrelevant! :)

I'll swap out the usb cable this evening and see if that makes a difference. Though the wheels work fine in windows and other sims so it would be a bit odd that just AMS2 doesn't like the cable.

Looking through the support forum, it seems there are a lot of people having problems mapping controls or getting them working properly in.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Duncan Halliday

Changing the usb cable seems to have fixed it! Well, mostly. There's still one wheel that won't work properly so I'll take that apart and see if there's an issue with the board.

Odd that the old cable seemed fine in windows and in other sims though. Oh well, I'm just glad it's sorted. I can't seem to get on with any other sims any more, AMS2 has sort of spoiled them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. TRCB

TRCB Active Member AMS2 Club Member

unplugging and replugging the devices was your fix, there is another thread on this matter, AMS does not retain the correct deviceID. you can force it by pluyginng in and unplugging devices in different order sometimes... or completely removing the device in "bluetooth and other devices" in windows, waiting for the "ding" from windows, then replugging the device. for me currently i have to do this everytime i use my flight sim controls then come back to AMS.

this is in windows 11 but i think its called the same thing in windows 10.
    upload_2021-9-21_17-27-32.png

• Informative Informative x 1