1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random image freeze for milliseconds, it's driving me crazy!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Haris1977, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

As the title says i am facing random hicups / freezes (they last for some milliseconds) that i can not reproduce. On the other hand they are visible in replays, like the one i recorded in the link below:

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/611769237

(you can see a small image freeze between 3 and 5 second of the video).

At first, i thought it was an AMS2 related issue, but i get the same random freeze in rF2 too (these are the games i usually play most of the times), so i am very confused:confused::(

I am on win10 pro, 21H1 v, with all my drivers on the latest versions. Tried almost everything. Any idea / though is highly recommended as this is driving me crazy..

2. Silvano

Silvano Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi Haris,
    I am suffering of that just like you, i tryed thousands fix but none worked, those micro freeze are really enoying to say the least.
    Fisrt i thought i was alone to have that issue but i heard some people talking about it so maybe its a issue that comes with certain PC configuration?

3. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

When I have had such issues, they are often related to USB activity. Frequent disconnect / reconnect events can cause momentary freezes. These tend to last longer than graphics hitching or stuttering and may also coincide with lack of controller function during that time.

In my case, I recently discovered the issue was caused by a 3rd-party utility for my digital race display. Closing that program solved the issue. It may be in the usb-cable connections or firmware / software.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Here is what helped me a couple of months ago:
    First create a system restore
    Go to Device manager
    Go to the following sections: USB-devices, Universal Serial Bus-Controllers, and HID.
    Right click all the devices you can find in these sections and uncheck 'Computer may turn off / shutdown device to preserve energy or so.

Have fun racing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Silvano

Thanks for that info ! gonna try asap

• Like Like x 1
  6. jimortality

jimortality Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Those option aren't available on windows 10, right click then where is the option to uncheck? I've found it thanks, under power management

• Like Like x 1
  7. Marius H

Also If you've a Ryzen CPU you should update your bios, drivers, AMD chipset drivers and all that. Even upgrade videocard, etc etc etc.

Few months ago there was a known bug with AMD bios that would give you funky usb connection and all that. Specially if you had a Ryzen.

8. jimortality

I don't really know how to, I keep upgrading the adrenalin software and I have done some chipsets but not sure if they're upto date. I also have Ryzen master

9. Marius H

Perhaps there's someone, a friend, who can help you out and teach you! Don't be afraid to ask!

10. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Google can be that friend or Jay or Greg or Paul (tech tubers) all have videos on bios updating.

11. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

First of all thank you all for your suggestions:

I have already unchecked the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in Device manager => universal serial bus controllers, like in the photo (i did it for the ones in the black rectangle, you can't do it for the USB Composite devices)

usb.png

But..

under Device manager => Human Interface Devices => there were some elements (Logitech G27 Racing Wheel USB and 2 logitech virtual hid devices) that indeed there was a check in "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" (which i removed).

hid.png

Don't know if this has to do smth with my "issue" but i will check the results and report back here tomorrow as it is very late...;)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. IamDom.

IamDom. Member

What's your pc specs?
    When did it start, what changed on your pc?
    Is the network wired or wireless?
    Are you driving in vr?
    Have you got anything else running along with the game?

Have you tried having task manager open and watched performance stats whilst playing, might show where the spikes are coming from.

Give us a chance, need info to help :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have the x570 master, very easy to update bios, I just followed the instructions from the manual.

14. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

USBDeview can be a useful tool (Freeware) for diagnosing USB issues as well.

15. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

Due to a minor health issue i am not able to test it right now. I will be back with my findings in 3-4 days:)

16. jimortality

I upgraded the chipset myself, there were 4 drivers on the old one now there are 6. I don't have a problem with micro freezes so apologies for hijacking the thread, just I saw an AMD user @Marius H and that was the Que to grab info. I may leave the bios for now as it says only update if you're having issues.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Silvano

Unfortunatly it did not cure the freeze issue for me, i noticed when cars go to pit i get also a micro freeze.
    They come randomly, not when starting but after some times and in all sessions, often they are minimal but other times they appear muliple times.
    So i dont know what else to try.

18. Silvano

I got it but it doesent make diagnosis as i can see, it just enumerate usb with lots of infos and with it you can connect and disconect on a safer way.

19. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You should turn off the AI pit crews, this is a well known source of performance problems.

My hypothesis that is has something to do with the game loading assets into memory (graphics, sounds) that causes a freeze on some machines. It used to happen a lot to me when I hit a track side object, the game would freeze then fast forward while playing the crash sound.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Silvano

Thanks azaris, i will try that.