1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear traction loss, lack of warning and SIMHUB shakers (or not)

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Sting Ray, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Sting Ray

Sting Ray Member AMS2 Club Member

As my TM TMX wheel doesnt seem to give any warning of the rear spinning out i thought i would try the "Wheels Slip" option in SIMHUB to give the rear shaker a vibrate if the rear slips
    Watching the Live effects graph on SIMHUB i notice that as the rear of the car slips around there is NO slip shown on the graph. Whether off throttle, or booting the throttle there is nothing. I had expected the rear shaker to activate, but maybe my understanding of wheel slip is wrong. I would have thought that if the rear was sliding around then i should see/feel something.
    If AMS2 isnt sending any info about the rear slipping in this scenario, is that why these slides are impossible to catch, as there is no feedback at all (other than visual)? or am i expecting the wrong thing from SIMHUB ?

2. Duncan Halliday

Duncan Halliday New Member AMS2 Club Member

Can you adjust the sensitivity in simhub so it kicks in earlier?

3. mdecker79

mdecker79 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I can tell you that I use two shakers along with sumhub and Wheel Slip works great.

Given it took me hours to get the sensitivity the way I want it. But wheel slip works great for spinning of the rear tires (I don't use any traction control even if it's available on the car) and activating my rear bass shaker via sumhub or on the front when I'm right at the point of lock up (I don't use ABS on any car) and one of the wheels is ever so slightly spinning slower then the other it activates the front wheel slip before I actually lock the tires which then activates wheel lock in simhub.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  4. Sting Ray

cheers mdecker79...i have been fiddling about the last 15 mins and now have the shaker doing its thing when losing the rear (eg drifting) at reasonable speed. I dont get it at low speed (such as out of the tight 2nd turn at Austria) but wonder if this is because the spin happens at practically zero forward speed (the car spins on its own axis) and therefore while the rear wheels are sliding, the car isnt really moving forwards...and thus does not register as Wheel Slip. Maybe i need to twiddle some more with the settings !!

• Like Like x 1
  5. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have this effect set but don't get anything, what magic did you have to do to get it working?

6. Sting Ray

There is not much to adjust as far as i can tell, and whatever i do i cannot get any output for a slow corner back end slide/swing/pirouette type of event. Maybe the Simhub gurus know more than I !

7. Sting Ray

hmmm...i switched off Wheel Slip tonight as in the McLaren GT3 at Brasilia it produced "slip" all the way down every straight when driving along normally. Not sure why the graphs for slip would run at 60-70% while driving along :(

8. mdecker79

mdecker79 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I had that issue as well and took me a while to tune all the different effects. Sometimes different tracks and or cars have an influence on the Wheel Slip effect with just driving which is why it took some time.

When I was tuning, I made sure to turn everything off but the one I was tuning.

I would guess you need to turn the threshold up a bit as I had to as well for wheel slip.

My gamma Factor is 1.00, Threshold is 30, Minimum force is 30 and Input Gain is 100.

From what I 'think' I know is that with a threshold of 30 it will not play anything to the shaker under 30 and I could be wrong on that as I just watched some ytube vids on Simhub and shakeit.

Now those settings are what work for me on my setup so they very well will be different for you or anyone else which it's why you need to tune them one by one.

To be honest I didn't want to go through the tuning part of Simhub as I didn't want to spend the time. But once I realized all of the extra feedback I get with Simhub and both of these shakers over just the wheel FFB. Well, I just had to tune them, and it almost felt like cheating after I was done tuning. I mean with just wheel lock alone and knowing when I've pressed the brake a bit too hard then I can modulate it right on the point of lock up. Which then decreased my brake zone along with helping me learn trail braking (and watching driver61 on yt). Which is very hard to get right but with both shakers and Simhub I feel it's helped a lot.

9. Sting Ray

Cheers for the info mdecker79....sounds like I need to spend more time on it !

• Like Like x 1
  10. GodzillaGTR

GodzillaGTR Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Sting Ray... change your "Speed Sensitivity" to somewhere between 40 and 50. I know Reiza have said it should be 0, but in the replays my wheel movement doesn't match my real movements at all. I am guessing that reolays show ACTUAL rack movement, but in real time, your wheel matches the virtual wheel no matter what the setting.

You may be thinking "WTF does this have to do with my post?"

Try the setting and you'll see. I have the same wheelbase.

11. GodzillaGTR

To expand on my post, that setting won't help you feel the rear better, but for me, it creates a much more linear feel with the wheel, so the car doean't mysteriously spin, and in the timea I do countersteer, I csn catch the slide as opposed to a brutally aggressive oversteer correction that makes no sense.

12. Sting Ray

Ooh..not near my pc this eve but will give it a go tomorrow.....cheers

13. GodzillaGTR

Actually, even a much lower setting like 20 works to lessen the amount of times the car spins when it feels like it shouldn't have. Too high of a value just makes the car understeer terribly.

14. Sting Ray

GodzillaGTR - blimey, setting to 20 makes such a difference....almost seems like a totally different experience. I have no idea what speed sensitivity is meant to do but its so much better !!!

• Like Like x 1