1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random image freeze for milliseconds, it's driving me crazy!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Haris1977, Sep 22, 2021.

1. lurkusmaximus

lurkusmaximus New Member

Just a wild guess, but do you have static or dynamic wallpaper? I've seen some systems get a micro-freeze when Windows updates the wallpaper at regular intervals as based on your Personalization settings. Usually this is disabled when playing a game full screen, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

2. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

Given it's an issue across multiple titles, definitely try installing on an SSD before you do a clean install. I used to get micro-stutters all the time with games installed on HDD with my old system.
    Arma3 was the main culprit at the time. Installing it on an SSD completely fixed it.
    It might be writing to disk to store replays or something?
    Turning replays off might be a good thing to check as well?

3. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

I am using 472.12 at the moment (latest one) but i do not think it is gpu software related as i tried many versions before, and still had this problem. I also used ddu to uninstall my drivers

Static always. No transitions here

I checked my pc during gameplay and there was no sign of hdd activity. So i wouldn't bet on changing my hdd to ssd (which is a costly thing and definitely one of my last actions, along with win clean install).

PS 1 Forgot to say that when this hicup happens there is also a small buzzing sound like the one found here (check in 1'02'', but mine is very very quick)

Also, as a member in RD stated, this may related to the latest win update (kb5003173 or kb5001330) which i both have - as i m always on latest stuff on my pc, but can not uninstall as they are cumulative updates.

PS 2 After some fiddling with my setup i managed to somehow "minimize" it. I played the game for 50 minutes when i faced my first freeze (rather than 15 - 20 minutes i used to have it be4re). Also this freeze was shorter than the ones i used to have: i only changed 2 things though:

1) Powered my usb hub as it was unpowered before (i use a 4 port hub with a 3 meter usb extension in which i have connected my wheel/pedals, a button box and my GI Max Display)

2) Changed the usb port of my hub which is connected on the back site of my pc (usb 3.0)

3) Reinstalled my audio drivers (through my mobo site)

Do not know which one helped. I will have to test more though. Here is the funny thing about number 2 though: if i plug my hub to a usb 2.0 port in my pc (rather than usb 3.0 which is now) my g27 is recognized as an old Logitech wheel (i think the blue gt force) !!:eek::eek::confused:

PS 3 Just played rF2 and had a freeze upon the first 5 minutes..:(

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  4. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

If you have another hd, try to install a fresh version of win10 (i prefer lsc), and install only the basic driver for gaming, and keep building up from that until you discover where is the problem.

Try also with audio disabled (component disabled), check your power supply exit voltage, (best if you try another power supply) swap your memory slot, your hd connector, disable all component beside hd, and so on. I'm It guy, the cause of this microfreeze thing can be puzzling. Every components, from reset button, to faulty keyboard,motherboard chip temperature problem, power supply, gpu, floating house voltage and is a very large list.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  5. Sampo

Sampo Member AMS2 Club Member

You could check if your windows event viewer system log has an event like "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" for the time when you had the glitch.

6. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Check, if you have the possibility to swap your PSU. Maybe also take a look, if it smells unusual or even emits some coil whine. Similar issues were caused by PSU on several PCs i've owned here. I just recently had to switch my PSU because it was completely overwhelmed after 1 lap in AMS2 and my screen went black and my PC doing a safety shutdown (not a requirement to identify this, though).

It was smelling like coming out of the oven and was doing a slight coil whine, when the PC was idling. Other PCs with PSU issues were indeed freezing in a similar way here. Even had problematic ATX plug pins with some cheaper PSUs and so on, making the power supply unstable.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

Unfortunately i dont have an extra hdd/ssd to install (for sure if i had i would have changed it but - i do not have high hopes on it) cause the hdd lights wont lit when i play ams2 as far as i can see. My hdd is dated back in January 2019 (health status good, diskinfo64). I do not think it s power supply also as i do not get any bsod and it is relatively new (April, 2019) with little working hours (2-3 hours per day). Also a fresh win install will be my last resort.

The only thing that comes to my mind is that maybe the latest win update "broke" my system (the only major update that i recently have was the 21H1 cumulative ones)

There is no such ones. My only "errors" are the event id 's 7023, 10010, 10016, which - even if i tried to solve them they seem to reappear. But the same events do appear in the event viewer even when game sessions do not have this freeze. So it must not be it either..

So i am out of options

PS The strange thing is that the first "freeze" may appear in the first 1-2 minutes when i start a game, in 20 minutes, or in 50..

8. CrimsonEminence

Like mentioned, check your Power Supply Unit...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

I dont have the possibility to swap my PSU. I use a CoolerMaster MWE Gold 550W. No smell, no coil whine. How else can i check it?

PS I will have to re install win10 cause i played with registry and broke some things more i guess..

10. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

I think,it is the best way to get rid of your problem.Good luck:)

• Like Like x 1
  11. lurkusmaximus

lurkusmaximus New Member

From my experience, these types of problems are more often than not, software issues, which must be taken in context of the entire environment. The Windows Performance Toolkit is the tool I go to in cases like this. It takes a lot of knowledge and perseverance to analyze, but in knowledgeable hands, it can usually pinpoint the culprit. In my case, it took me a couple months to isolate my stutter issue to a flaw in an Intel driver which was sleeping while holding a kernel lock. Once I knew what was causing the issue, I was able to find a work around. While I did report it to Intel, I do not know if the fix was in a following update or not, as I was not going to risk it once I had a workaround in place. Best of luck, as it appears you have done a majority of the straight forward solutions for the most common problems.

12. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Another thought:

Are you using a Ryzen specific power plan in Win 10? If not, definitely something to try.

13. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

While i have downloaded ryzen's chipset drivers i use the high performance power plan. Anyway i will re install win. Windows are totally f**ed up because of my fiddling. Just 2 questions (if anyone knows)

1) I will use my c drive for windows while my d drive (which includes my steam games) will be intact. In my D:\Games\Steam Games\steamapps\common there are already installed all of my games. How will i install steam though? I mean, do i need to re-download all my games again? Any tip?

2) If i continue to have those freezes, will my number 1 thought be a new psu?

Thanks in advance

14. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Once you install Windows fresh, install Steam and then point Steam to the appropriate drive space where the games are kept. It should then work as normal without re-downloading your games. This is done within Steam itself.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

Well

I re install win10 to my c drive + steam games (hdd) + logitech wheel.

Guess what. Same freeze (in rf2 this time but i haven't tested ams2 for a long time). This is absolute crazy..

16. CrimsonEminence

How old is it?

17. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

I use a CoolerMaster MWE Gold 550W, purchased on April 2019

18. CrimsonEminence

It's really worth checking, if possible to get a replacement, if it is maybe a bit too overwhelmed and has suffered in lifetime a bit. I know it's a PITA if it isn't finally related to it, so i could understand hesistance to put financial- and time-effort into checking that.
    But all your issues really scream power supply at me tbh.

It's certainly not very old, but (even with a good stable one) it's hard to say, how taxing a 2070 with Ryzen 2600 might be to a 550W PSU after all, also on life cycle.

My 500W be quiet Pure Power 10 was surviving 4-5years with a GTX 1060 and a quite easy on power Ryzen 1600, and it was dying anyway. It was the most stable PSU i ever owned and died anyway after quite a "short" time.

Funfact: I have a retro Pentium PC, partially even still using SCSI drives here, that has a PSU, surviving over 20 years now, no idea what has happened with todays tech. :D

19. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

I believe it's "built-in obsolescence", at least in some cases. We see this with home appliances and autos quite often today. Our appliances used to last 30 years or more, now maybe 10, if you're lucky.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

Hi,

I have a tiny microstutter along with a sound buzz, I think it's the same or similar as you describe.

It happens once, and only once, usually before the 5 min mark after I started a race, in case of AMS2 (also if I start the game and only watch a replay), and also in some other games not related to simracing. After that first occurence, it almost never appears anymore during the rest of the game session.

I strongly think it's system related, being Windows, drivers and/or hardware USB ports. All my games are installed on SSD. I don't think it's PSU related (it happened with my old Evga 650w gold as with my brand new Corsair RM850x)

Tried every nVidia driver since AMS2 was released (for reference), but it also happened with other games before. I don't have any event viewer error I can correlate, the system is rock solid.

For the record, my specs are Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 Gb Gskill 3600 c18 @ 3733 c18 (1:1:1), MSI RTX 2080 GPU, and the Corsair PSU I mentioned.

To be honest, I think it's some sort of latency problem, or the overclock I'm running on the infinity fabric because the memory settings I'm running, I need to test for them tough.

What's going me crazy is the fact this stutter happens only once 99% of the game session time, it's not something recurrent, so it's even harder to identify. As of now, I just ignore it and use my time to race instead looking for an unicorn :confused: