1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random image freeze for milliseconds, it's driving me crazy!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Haris1977, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

Hmm that 's interesting. Can you please check rf2 too? Especially Sebring track - if you own it (this is the one i use often, 5 lap race, ai 19, starting last, any car, any graphical settings. It usually happens within lap1). In my case, this freeze comes sooner in rf2 than on ams2.

Also are you on latest win updates (21H1)?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  2. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

Few updates about my case:

2 days before, i opened my pc case, reseatted my gpu and memory (just in case), and also cleaned the inside.

I also removed the cmos battery for some minutes and restored my mobo 's bios settings to default (i was using an xmp profile to 3000Mhz for my mem without a problem till now).

Tbh at the beggining i thought the xmp was causing all the trouble. I was even able to play rf2 for quite a time without any freezes (!)

But since then, until now and i have some bsod's and random pc restarts. Which leads me to the fact that - as @CrimsonEminence stated - the psu has been degraded:(.

So after all, maybe all these freezes where signs of psu malfunction..

3. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

You even have random PC restarts? Mate, this sounds even more like power supply now, indeed.

A faulty PSU would be not the worst case tbh. because it's one of the least costy items, even a more expensive one.
    Also better to replace it, so it doesn't cause damage to relevant components some day. Go for more than 550W with your PC config btw., never regrettable to have some comfortable headroom.

4. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Wait.. it was me that said its PSU..
    I cry.
    Anyway, do everything Crimson said in the reply above. :D

5. CrimsonEminence

You did indeed suggest it quite early. :whistle:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

@Marius H and @CrimsonEminence you both told me this (and this was too at the end of my mind). And thank you all btw:)

But because my psu is ~2.5 years old i didnt want to think that it has been degraded.

And yes, 1-2 days now i m having bsod's and random pc freezes / restarts on idle (even no restarts sometimes as the diagnosing leds in my mobo "stop" in cpu cycle / phase).

I had similar "issues" (freezing, pc restarts etc) and the issue was due to a dying previous psu i owned (corsair). So, it seems to be it (fingers crossed)

I already went for a Seasonic Focus PX 650W Full Modular 80 Plus Platinum one

7. CrimsonEminence

Btw. your GPU already has a 550-650W minimum power requirement. (TDP ~175W)

8. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

Do you think should i go for higher than 650 W output then?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  9. CrimsonEminence

Should work fine, i think.

10. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

11. Marius H

If the new PSU does same thing you can always return it back and gain your money back as well. Then buy a new mobo or so or whatever it is :D

12. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

Let's hope it s the psu and not the mobo though..:whistle:

Btw i went for the 750W version just to have some extra space

13. IamDom.

IamDom. Member

Sorry to say...

You won't get bsod from PSU if you don't have enough power draw. The machine would just turn off or reboot. Powers binary, you either have it or you don't.

What's the error you get on the bsod message? Personally think it sounds like memory or GPU tbh

• Like Like x 1
  14. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

I got a memory management bsod error. No load, no high temps. Only idling. I had yesterday repositioned my 2 mem modules (2x8) when i opened the case. I also repositioned my gpu.

I feared that the mem modules could be "corrupted or damaged " (i think this is very rare though) and i run a windows mem diagnostic test with no errors. I had the same bsod's and pc restarts and it was due to psu (my old corsair)

I 've also seen the diagnosing leds in my mobo "stop" in cpu cycle (after a restart) and had to power off and power on the pc. I also face more and more crashes or restarting when idle (haven't test any game for now)

PS Tbh i am not 100% sure that this is a PSU thing but, i can just return the new item if i continue to face same errors. It could be smth on the mobo also (had been facing similar issues once and it was due to an incorrectly bios update)

• Like Like x 2
  15. IamDom.

IamDom. Member

Hope you get to the bottom of it mate :)

Let us know, interested to see what fixes it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. CrimsonEminence

Memory and GPU sounds not far fetched indeed, doesn't explain reboots and sudden crashes/reboots in idle necessarily either.

I actually had BSODs with older PCs in 2 PSU ded-cases 10 years ago. When replacing the PSU, a piece of the ATX plug was actually brown in one case and in the other the Power Supply was very unstable, even visible in BIOS and also the cause for it.

Of course blue screens aren't the most common thing, but they certainly can happen with an aging power supply.

We can't be 100% sure, but it's nice to stay "optimistic", because it wouldn't be that bad like having a mobo, GPU or memory fail. :D:whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

Guys i will let you know when i get the new psu (possible at the end of the next week)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

Ps: Just had an other pc restart when idle. I checked the dump file and said it was caused by the ntoskrnl.exe

19. CrimsonEminence

Typical BSOD thing. And it could indeed be caused by HDD, Memory and also PSU for example.

20. Marius H

Dont boot t up.Keep it shut off till friday