1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random image freeze for milliseconds, it's driving me crazy!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Haris1977, Sep 22, 2021.

1. Richard Chapman

Richard Chapman Member

Hey Silvano,

if you check (tick) one of the 2 square resolution boxes the greyed out ‘create custom resolution’ box will then become available to click and the custom resolution settings will appear. All settings will be set automatically to your screens native resolution. I left everything as it was and only changed the ‘CVT reduced blank’ option then saved it as a custom resolution. Hope this helps

2. Silvano

Silvano Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  3. Richard Chapman

Richard Chapman Member

I don’t even think I had to tick one of the boxes, the “personalise” option was not greyed out on my pc and I just clicked on it and the custom option page opened up and I followed the instructions on the video. I did delete the custom resolution and sure enough the stuttering came back and then I made the custom resolution again and it was gone, so this is 100% what fixed any stuttering for me. Sorry I can’t be of more help.

4. Silvano

Silvano Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Its ok. thanks for your help.

5. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

Ok, some info 'bout my case:

The bad news: Six days after the psu arrived (seasonic 750 watt) and i can tell, it was not the psu's fault. The very first day i test it, i faced an irql_not_less_or_equal bsod error (my previous one was a page_fault_in_nonpaged_area one).

The good news: I ve managed to track it down and (possibly) fix it. It was either my mobo or my ram (or both). Let me explain:D:

I have a G-Skill 16GB (2x8 GB modules) which can be oc to 3000 Mhz. Because i had the same issue 1-2 months after i bought my mobo/cpu/ram combo (which was 2 years ago) i run memtest86 and..boom..found an error! Here is the pic:

memtest_error.JPG

I m not 100% sure if it is:

a) one of my ram sticks fault
    b) my mobo's fault or
    c) my ram/mobo combination

Anyway, i removed my ram, cleaned my mobo/ram modules, re-positioned my sticks (i also changed the slots) and finally downgraded my xmp2 oc profile (2933 MHz) to xmp1 (2667 MHz) one. I strongly believe that the last one may be the cause of my problems. After all these, my pc runs as expected (no bsod's or random restarts).

I just keep my fingers crossed:cool:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Could check the compability page of your mobo if it supports your ram.

7. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

The strange is that it DOES support it. It seems that it also supports the 2933 Mhz speed (oc). That was the reason i chose this ram btw;).

But either there is smth odd with my sticks (i use 2 x 8 Gb) or my mobo struggles to cope with the ram's max speed. Dunno

PS: I also use the latest (stable) version of bios

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  8. Marius H

If it goes stable at 2933mhz then leave it. You can also run OCC or Prime95 for a hour or so and see if it's stable. Just use Blend with Prime95. Keep in mind it also stresses the CPU, tho. So you need some good cooling. Open HWinfo64 to keep an eye on it.

9. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

I am at 2667 MHz now (xmp 1). I will leave it there to see how it will evolve. Haven 't seen any performance differences in my games tbh.

10. Marius H

What's the default setting of the Ram as advertised? 3000 or 3200? You could try not to use an XMP file, but just put the numbers in yourself in the Dram section.

Its weird buying a 3200 stick and then not fully use it. Aka losing money :D

11. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

It is rated as 3000. But my 2 predefined xmp profiles are at 2667 and 2933 MHz. I do not want to mess with manual settings, that 's why i used the xmp profiles (i always used the 2933 one until now) from the beggining of my set up (2 years ago). But i remember i did have same issues then and now i realize it was my same thing: either my mobo or my ram. But yes i agree i cant fully use my ram. But now i need stability not performance

12. IamDom.

IamDom. Member

Glad you found the problem mate!

Shame you can't use xmp, have you tried it again after reseating your ram? May not have been sat correctly.

13. chonk

chonk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@Haris1977 glad you managed to track the fault down. Hardware faults are always tricky and getting ram stable even at rated speeds can sometimes be a pain in the ass. It could be a module failing or even just a temperature issue caused by insufficient airflow. Temp is an easy one to test you can just aim a fan at the dimms and see if you're stable. Or it could be the board not supplying stable current or any other number of things!

Anyways the performance difference between 2667 and 2933 is sooo negligible it's really not even worth thinking about. I totally get that it can be one of those annoying little things in the back of your head, you think 'But it should be faster' really though a couple of quick benchmarks synthetic or otherwise and you'll see maybe a % or two difference in real world situations. If your system is stable at the lower speeds forget about it until you're ready to upgrade again.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

Tbh no. I may leave it in xmp 1 for some time and then, later on, i may proceed step by step..

15. Domagoj Lovric

Domagoj Lovric Moderator Staff Member

@Haris1977 I have similar cpu as you, Ryzen 5 2600 (non-x), no-oc. I also have G.Skill Aegis 8GB x 4. And no way it would ever work on EITHER xmp profiles stable - (this was early 2019).
    So unwillingly, but without choice, i ended up manually editing settings, settled in the end for 2800 MHz clock, manually edited RAM voltage and "main" timing. Both voltage picked and timing is identical to "higher" XMP profile:
    upload_2021-10-15_5-57-54.png

upload_2021-10-15_5-58-7.png

HWinfo shows memory voltage to sit at 1.36V, iirc "LoadLineCalibration" or whatever it may be called is toggled on in bios.

Runs stable since, system is rarely restarted - can run for over 50 days without one (only goes to standby mode nightly).

Highly recommend to do some manual adjustments.
    Back then i have investigated issue alot, and our cpu is very finicky about ram, especially larger amounts.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Marius H

My 3200mhz worked flawlessy, tho. First manual. Then a bios or two later just XMP. But yeah. Manual will probably solve everything for the 2600x

17. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

Hmm, that's interesting. So you say - in other words - that it may be a cpu/ram thing rather than a mobo/ram. Haven't thought about that tbh.

For the record, my ram is a G.Skill 16GB (2x8 GB modules) DDR4-3000MHz (F4-3000C16D-16GISB, F4-3000C16D-16GISB-G.SKILL International Enterprise Co., Ltd.). I use an a320 mobo and i have never played with manual ram settings. But definitely, i will have your sayings in mind if i have any problem again in the future (i will have to check my mobo manual or see some yt videos cause i am completely noob in ram timings and oc settings though)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  18. Domagoj Lovric

@Haris1977 That is exact same memory I have, except I have 32 GB.
    I have a MSI b450 board. Thing to keep in mind with Ryzen is - memory controller is built in on it, not on main board, aka "soc"(idk about Intel current CPUs) .

@Marius H I cannot find info immediately, but recall back in the day when I was adjusting all of this and going nuts why is system so unstable - ram modules with a certain type of memory chips - Samsung iirc, fared much better when it comes to stable running at higher speeds / default xmp. G.Skill ram in question doesn't have Samsung chips.

19. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

Based on this, G.Skill in particular showed off a whole new range of DD4 TridentZ modules all using Samsung chips, ranging in speeds from 3200MHz to 4500MHz. Dunno about the AEGIS though..

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  20. Domagoj Lovric

Yes, trident indeed is Samsung based. Aegis not.