1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GPU fans shut down on AMS2 startup ...

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by Emery Emond, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Emery Emond

Emery Emond New Member

- When I start up AMS2 it quickly turns off my 6800 GPU fans.
    - No matter if it starts from Steam or desktop icon.
    - Have tried all possible GPU setting for fans, every time I start (only) AMS2 the fans quickly shut down AND stay off while playing AMS2.
    - No other sim does the above (rFactor 2, iRacing, or ACC).
    - Grateful for any suggestions or help, THANKS

2. muz_j

muz_j Active Member

When you say you "Have tried all possible GPU setting for fans...." - have you tried a user defined (software based) fan curve ?
    ...using something like MSI Afterburner or an equivilent ?

eg: here's a list of similar software ?
    MSI Afterburner Alternatives | TechSpot

and there's this list too, but you should get the idea...
    https://www.makeuseof.com/best-gpu-overclocking-tools/

In Afterburner, the user defined fan curve window looks like this:
    MSI Afterburner sw based fan curve.jpg

...and it allows you to override the GPU's default fan curve and define your own, which can be very useful in specific scenarios, or to keep the GPU's temperature under a particular threshold. Note that I've created a fan curve with an increasing gradient, which forces the fan to rapidly speed up. I've also got the minimum fan speed set to 40%, which is a little higher than normal.

If you haven't looked at that - this would be the first thing I suggest you investigate, as you might be getting some sort of weird behaviour and defining your own temperature/fan speed curve definitely won't do any harm.

Before doing it, check what the default temperature threshold (the temperature when the GPU is throttled for safety purposes to prevent hardware damage) is for your GPU and make sure the fan it set to hit 100% about 10 to 15 degrees Celsius before that. GPU's have another threshold after that point where the hardware is forced to shut down (which will typically cause your computer to crash or lock up), but it's best not to let things get to that point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Emery Emond

Emery Emond New Member

Yes, I have created custom fan curves in Afterburner and the software that came with the 6800 GPU. Both function flawlessly in all sims EXCEPT AMS2 which immediately shuts down fans as the sim starts up.

I'm looking for a hot key that would allow switching to either program while AMS2 is running - then try turning fans back on. ALSO - I run triples and do have a 4th monitor which I can configure and open Afterburner on that monitor to allow access to it while AMS2 is running.

THANKS for your suggestions, appreciate it

4. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

Does your CPU have an integrated graphics card? If it does, it could be the fans turn off because the dedicated GPU isn't being used at which point you need to force enable the dGPU to be used when AMS2 is running.

5. Emery Emond

Emery Emond New Member

Another good tip, but, no my CPU does not have integrated graphics ...

6. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Do you actually hear or see the fans phsyically stop? Since you didn't mention it, does the GPU overheat? What I'm getting at is that maybe AMS2 is interfering with the readout of Afterburner somehow?

7. Emery Emond

Emery Emond New Member

SOLVED ! I created fan speed hot keys in Afterburner, immediately after AMS2 shuts off the fans. Now I select 4 different fan speeds that adjust the fans while in sim with AMS2.

THANKS AGAIN !!!

• Like Like x 1