1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. A.F.K DaN

A.F.K DaN Member AMS2 Club Member

As my Rift S started to give me some problems, I've also swapped to a G2 (3700x CPU + 2070S GPU).
    For rF2 which is still my main sim, this seems to work with quite a bit of tuning and mostly low Details, for AMS2 I've done a few tests but already had some struggle with time trial on some tracks (being alone on track). Next step is to try AMD FSR if it helps to get a bit more performance back and still have a somehow reasonable picture quality.

Think for the future there is a need for a better GPU to use all the advantages of the G2, but with current prices thats a no go for me right now.
    I'm aiming for 90 fps native, as smoothing usually doesn't work for me personally.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

A friend of mine upgraded from the Quest 2 to the G2 and the he said the difference in image quality was night and day. I trust his judgement, so I don't think the image quality is as close as people think it is.

3. morpwr

morpwr Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Best thing ive done in a while !!! Sound and visuals are miles better then the Rift S. You can easily read the dashboard now and the brake markers are nice and clear. If you watch on Microsoft and HPs site you can catch it on sale . I got mine for 150 off the normal price.

• Like Like x 3
  4. ivd100

ivd100 New Member

Hi Folks - I've setup my RTX 3070 Ti based PC following @Steve Young as described in this thread and here Steam Community :: Guide :: VR Guide for Automobilista 2. Thanks Steve! I have turned down some settings including SS since I don't run a 3090 like Steve (they are $3K+ in Oz at the moment :confused:) but am getting a solid 90 fps in most conditions, except in rain, as expected. My question is this. I'm happy to drop back to using reprojection in bad conditions to keep things smooth and this is what happened before I did the Steve Young job on my PC. But now I don't seem to go to Motion Smoothing and my fps just drops to 60-90 range. (I'm assuming that since fps in fpsVR does not drop to a solid 45 this indicates I'm not going to motion smoothing) Motion Smoothing is 'on' in Steam VR General settings and enabled in AM2 per-application settings. Even if I set 'Always-on' in per-application doesn't seem to activate. I have read that SteamVR settings just acts as a 'compatibility layer' for the WMR smoothing. So does that mean motion shooting is off in WMR? Any one know what is happening. Thanks.

5. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I had that for a while, now it seems to be working ok, I have no idea why it did that.
    I have steamvr beta and wmr lkg.
    Have you got the vr settings file set to auto?

6. Steve Young

Steve Young Active Member

I had a fps cut this last weekend after Monza was released. Haven't been home yet to see if the updates fixed anything. I also had a Windows update, and installed the new Nividia drivers. So need time to investigate. I forgot to debloat my windows after the update also. I can report back this weekend if I find anything

7. ivd100

ivd100 New Member

You mean steamvr.vrsettings file. cant see an 'auto' setting?

8. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's this file, remove the two forward slashes to activate it. Word is that you can do it in steamvr but that never worked for me. pasted-from-clipboard.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. ivd100

ivd100 New Member

Thanks Alegunner. Modified this default.vrsettings file in the Steam>steamapps>common>MixedRealityVRDriver>resources>settings folder. Was set to 'none', which is not in your file. I commented it out and now setting motion smoothing in SteamVR settings works fine.
    BTW like your comment about settings in your signature. I am getting some good racing in between chasing issues like this:D

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Rasmus Juel Andersen

Rasmus Juel Andersen New Member

Hallo,

I´m having a weird problem while racing with my Reverb G2. While driving the Formula Ultimate, a artificial rearview mirror appears in the car. When I drive on fx Spa through the Eau Rouge corner, I actually need to physically duck my head to be able to see the corner.
    I´ve tried to disable both the regular and enhanced rearview mirror but nothing has helped.
    Hope any1 has a fix since it´s very disturbing and can be game breaking on tracks with elevation changes

11. Rob Davies

Rob Davies Bobby Dazzler AMS2 Club Member

I wrote up my current G2 settings for 90fps play earlier if it’s any use for anyone - AMS VR G2 Settings

• Like Like x 1
  12. bandqit

bandqit Active Member

Thanks for the write up.

Step one: have a 5950x + 3090. :D

Just kidding. It’ll scale down to my purposes of course, so very useful. They’re just some hefty specs right there!

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. ivd100

ivd100 New Member

Do you mean the rear view mirror in the HUD? Can be turned off in HUD settings under options in pause menu

14. ChriZZ

ChriZZ New Member

Hi, I'm new here and new on AMS2, great sim and fantastic in VR (I use a reverb G2 ince march 2021).
    You use steam SS at 120 ?? this is too much, why not native resolution SS 50% ? This mean a res about 5k, 2160x2160 per eye Most details are on high in AMS2. the shadows looking stuttery, not to clear in AMS2, but only the shadows are not the best here.
    But I will try your settings in steam and AMS2 and test, good manual, thanks.
    I test all this too the last month for rFactor2 and I found good settings
    The grafix is fantastic in AMS2, great fun in VR

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  15. ChriZZ

ChriZZ New Member

What you think in VR about the up and down driving ? on Nordschleife NOS is seems to be extreme up and down, it feels much more steep as in rFactor 2 on the NOS. Is this perhaps fix on the AMS2 PC2 engine?

16. paddler

paddler Active Member AMS2 Club Member

With my Oculus Rift, I am using AMS2 through my Oculus application. I see some use it through Steam VR. What is the difference and how can I use Steam VR. It always automatically goes through Oculus. THX.

17. A.F.K DaN

For a Oculus Device you always should prefer the "Oculus SDK" / Oculus API. SteamVR will waste performance as every command has to be transfered to the Oculus SDK. So, nothing wrong for you, using that.

SteamVR is for WMR Devices, as they directly can utilize that without translation.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. paddler

paddler Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Would your specs be comparable to mine? You think buying a G2 would be a waste of money without upgrading my specs? Thx

19. Steve Young

Steve Young Active Member

I had an RTX 2060 with an I5 4670 3.2Ghz, It worked fine.. definitely worth the upgrade.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. A.F.K DaN

Did not yet take more time to examine the performance in AMS2, but maybe your CPU / RAM could be a bottleneck. I would not expect a fluid performance with 90 fps / hz all the time. Might work okay with motion smoothing, but that's something I can't live with.