1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A lot of love for the Vee

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by skiptor, Nov 10, 2016.

1. skiptor

skiptor New Member AMS2 Club Member

Must be age, or (lack of) wisdom, or whatever it is they've put in the water (why else would the USA vote the way they did?)... but the Vee has slowly and surely become my favorite car in Automobilista. I didn't care much for it in GSCE, I didn't really give it a chance, but I've grown to love its handling more than any other car.

So much so that I've started looking into the race calendar for next year in Canada so I can spectate a few races and who knows, maybe one day I'll get to test drive one for fun if a school offers it (I don't see myself racing in real life, for the simple reason I'd kill myself for lack of skill and smarts)...

The reason I'm writing this is that I've come across this YouTube channel today that not only left me amazed, it made me realize why the Vee is so special despite its age and quirks. How to build a racing car, in your garage:

ThomsenMotorsport

There is something to be said about being able to (still) build a racing car in your garage. Doing it right. Pouring hours of work and sweat into it... and one day racing it. No complex electronic systems, traction control, carbon fiber and wind tunnels. Just sweat and steel (ok and SolidWorks).

I tip my hat to the young man doing these videos, and I tip my hat to Reiza for their rendition of the car in their games (don't ever leave it behind!)... and I tip my hat to the Vee, for its staying power and charm.

That's all, I just wanted to declare my love for the Vee and give this guy some more exposure, however small.

• Like Like x 10
  2. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I've never raced anything other than a go kart at a friend's buck's night, but I have spent countless hours racing the Reiza FVee, especially the AMS version which is just sublime. Low enough to seem fast, slow enough that you don't need the reaction times of an amphetamine addicted gnat, and requiring careful balance, timing and momentum to compete. The sense of achievement winning my first FVee race at Curutiba against 100% AI was profound!

• Like Like x 4
  3. Kevin Peat

Kevin Peat Active Member AMS2 Club Member

It might just be increased experience but I think the Vee has got a lot easier over the last couple of years. The pendulum effect seems to be greatly reduced which is probably more realistic but not as challenging. I still love the Vee but since the FTrainer came out my Vee is sitting at the back of the garage gathering dust.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

i find it more realistic than rf2 skip (not sure what the fuss about that is) it looks easier in real life..

5. Kevin Peat

Kevin Peat Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Haven't driven anything in rF2 for a while (hope the new guys make it worth getting back into) but the skippy was very floaty last time I tried it which just cannot be realistic for a school car. It should be easy for newbies to make steady laps otherwise they would spend all their time in the barriers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Msportdan

I like the group c stuff.. The enduiracers mods remind me of raceroom content with the floaty ffb. not for me, makes unprecise driving.

AMS as PRC said does race car simulation the best, i won't say the bad things they said vo>! :(

• Like Like x 2
  7. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The Vee is always fun to drive. And it might have the best downshift sound in the whole sim. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thiago Izequiel

Thiago Izequiel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Just to add a little to this thread, i have recently drove the real vee and what we have here on AMS is pretty close. The difference is, of course, that without the g-force you always will try to "overdrive" this car on a sim, going way out of it's grip limit and spinning a lot. This is a really loose car and to actually sit on it and taking it to the track will make you notice how important is to have the g-force working over your body to make it easier to understand how close you actually are of the limit.

This is kinda why i always prefer to drive "slow" cars on a racing sim. It makes you feel closer to the real thing instead of just having tons of power and grip that you would not want to overdrive it on a real day on the track right away. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I've recently become a fan of the Formula Vintage for the same reason. Although it is fast and powerful, the Vintage's lack of grip means that each corner is a negotiation: get the car settled, brake gently, nurse the car through it's "slipping and gripping" phase, and gingerly apply the power. It's not a matter of picking a driving line and following it, which means every circuit is full of interest. (There is so much to enjoy in the sim - a tribute to Automobilista's depth.)

I've been revisiting tracks because I'm curious how different they will feel with the Vintage (and the Vee). The two cars are very similar in that respect.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 4
  10. Thiago Izequiel

Thiago Izequiel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@Scraper i'm a fan of the vintage myself as well. :)

Tbh the cars i like the most here are:
    - Mini
    - Opala
    - Vintage

• Like Like x 2
  11. skiptor

skiptor New Member AMS2 Club Member

@Kevin Peat The Skip Barber in rFactor 2 was the reason I bought rFactor 2, but you're right in that (for a sim) it's very hard to drive for a beginner. I think a lot of it has to do with seat of your pants feeling like Thiago was saying. People tend to overdrive the skippy and it loves to spin out. With that said, if you pull back a little bit and take your time with it, it's such a rewarding car and it really does teach good technique. The Vee for me is that much more "down to earth" if you will. You can drive it right on the limit because it's more forgiving than the Skip. Teaches good technique, but it's also easier for a beginner.

The Formula Trainer is 2nd on my list of cars right now, and I guess I should give the Vintage a try. You guys made me want to drive it (especially with the classic Imola content coming soon, which looks really good from what I've seen in videos so far).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I used to drive the rF2 skippy a lot and pretty much came to grips with it (pun intended), but it was never particularly enjoyable to drive like the Vee. For whatever reason the tyres just felt like circular blocks of wood to me! For such a popular car I'd hoped ISI would get round to updating the tyre model, but it just languished down there with the 370z and a few others.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Msportdan

1000% agree tpw.....

14. Professionalsimracing.com

Professionalsimracing.com Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Don't forget the Retro and GTR Road, guys.

Regarding the Vee I've never driven a higher quality or more immersive or more lovable car.

Regarding rF2 skip, it really is a shame that it never getting updated. I don't miss it at all, though since Reiza came to the rescue with the Vee and Trainer...and Vintage
    ...and Retro...and GTR Road...and :p

• Like Like x 5
  15. Rodent

Rodent Member AMS2 Club Member

Dig the Vee though I think the trainer mostly replaces it for me, still it's probably too early to tell.

I dig your enthusiasm about the Ultima PSR but I just can't drive it for an admittedly poor reason, I find it an incredibly ugly car. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Javi288

Javi288 Member AMS2 Club Member

There are two versions of Skip in Rf2, the one that carries slick tires is better for beginners.

17. Professionalsimracing.com

Wherever did you get that idea? haha
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Rodent

It's the squished hood, I'm sure it does wonders for aero but not for the eyes.

Would totally drive a shrekmobile tho. :D

19. Professionalsimracing.com

Ah makes sense. To drive a Shrekmobile just pick a green GTR Road because the mirror placement reminds me of his ears haha.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Rodent

Hah, I will definitely try it. Maybe I'll grow to love it. :D

• Like Like x 1