1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which of the 'classic' or older f1 cars would require a clutch pedal?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Pixel, Nov 5, 2021.

1. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

Sorry for my ignorance, but is the manual clutch pedal setting accurate for the classic f1 cars? If I select an f1 will the setting apply to only the cars that actually had a clutch pedal, or will it be needed for all cars that have an h-pattern shifter, regardless of them having (or not having) a clutch pedal? Thanks.

2. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

If you shift from 1 to 5 and it skips gears then it's a manual car. If it goes like 1 2 3 4 5 then it's a SEQ car.

If you go drive and you shift clutchless and it grinds then you've to use Clutch to shift. Although many many many cars can clutchless shift within a certain rpm range, tho.

3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

It would be real nice if all this and more was available in a car description, if a car description was available it would take the guess work out. Also just stating sequential isn't all that useful, knowing if its paddle or stick would be of great use imo.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

F1 still have a manually operated clutch to this day, but it's only used to get the car going from a standstill, not for shifting gears. That#s the case in most (not all) modern racecars btw.

Sequential gearboxes first came to F1 around 1990 for a handful of cars. In AMS2, the F Classic G3M1 & G3M2 have sequential gearboxes with paddles which don't require the clutch to shift. The Formula Classic G3M3 and everything older has manual h-pattern gearboxes, so you would need to use the clutch to shift. The thing with those gearboxes is that if you time your shift&lift right you can shift without the clutch as well on most cars.

A thing to keep in mind is that AMS2 like most other sims doesn't limit what shifter you can use. You can use you h-pattern shifter on a GT3 if you want, and you can use paddles on a 60's F1.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SuperMonaco_GP

SuperMonaco_GP Active Member

that's a sequential car, it is written in the car info.
    as in road cars, h pattern means clutch, that's how that gearbox works.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gevatter

That's a good method btw to determin if a car is sequential or h-pattern manual. Skip some gears, if it goes straight in it's manual, if it goes through all of them, it's sequential.

I agree that the Info about paddles or stick would be nice to have. As a workaround for most cars you can look at the model in the showroom and determin that if you're unsure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I do think that the game should have ui elements separately indicating if the car has autoblip or autocut, and assists to force them on for pad users, and to authentic for wheel users

8. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

I tried the Lotus 79 and it needed the clutch to shift, but my understanding is that the real car didn't have a clutch pedal? Can someone explain?

9. 2ndLastJedi

I did this and found a car with no paddles or stick, can't remember which one but wirhAMS2 car modelling this isn't a perfect workaround.

10. 2ndLastJedi

Yeah I don't know what happened to my brain when writing that, must be the drugs...:p

11. Gevatter

The Lotus 79 had a normal manual 5 speed gearbox with manual clutch, but it can be upshifted perfectly fine without clutch if you time your throttle lifts correctly. I wouldn't recommend downshifting without clutch though.