1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 November 2021 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Nov 5, 2021.

1. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think Road America is a must as the different Indycars can really stretch their legs here. Fantastic track.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

I quoted exactly what he said and explained how I interpreted it, so I'm not sure why you're trying to reiterate to me how I read it, and then insinuate I'm trying to make it something it isn't. Reread what I said and then ask yourself why you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

I'm sorry you feel upset that I'm surprised and glad to see that there are 'major' physics updates coming...Because that's all I was saying.
    Don't make out that I'm saying or implying any more than that please.

I'll say it again, I'm surprised there are major physics updates coming, and I'm glad to hear it.
    /End.

• Like Like x 3
  3. lsmanley

lsmanley Member

How there's the ability to Mod driver names and AI, surely we need the ability to Mod driver helmets and race suits!?

Also the ability to change car/team names for each livery as well?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

As I understand, we will be able to mod the names and set liveries/driver/helmets/race suits to that AI.

Regarding AI performance, my guess would be AMS2 is going to copy AC Content Manager AI customization: you set an average strength + some degree of deviation for the whole field, same thing for aggression.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Brett Nagle

Brett Nagle Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Only guess I have is Cleveland and maybe Belle Isle. Outside of that I have no idea what other tracks could be coming with this DLC. My hometown of PIR would be awesome, but I also would love Mid Ohio as well.

6. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

Yes, it will be good to see an affordable street car replicated in the sim to compare.

One thing I want to point out tough, the south american Polo is not the same car as you know from the UE. The whole platform is an adaptation, not exactly the same. Gearbox is not DSG but a normal torque converter one. Engines are the same I think, but adapted to work with gas and alcohol, so a little more power output when supplied with the latter.

If the sim replicates the pure factory stock without chassis modifications, I don't think they will be a lot of fun to drive, but they could provide fun close, door to door racing.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

You can trust me, the MBQ-A0 plattform is the same all over the world. the differences are small and only take into consideration the available fuel quality (super 95 Octane is minimum in EU) and Emission regulations. In fact, due to later, Brazil versions can actually have more torque and power. EU emission norm 7 is killing the fun in cars first. The 999ccm three cylinder is the same engine everywhere, TSI or not, just the ECU programming might be different. The 7 speed DSG is a expensive extra, and not the norm. Regular Polos still run 5 and 6 speed manual H patterns. The 1.4 TSI was used in the EU Golf VII until 2017 the 6 speed automatic transmission is the same used in the chinese market and made at Volkswagen Automatic Transmission (Dalian) Co., Ltd. for non EU models only...and it is in fact, less prone to produce problems like transmission slip, compared to the more complicated double clutch DSG. For the future, the differences betwen EU and Rest the world models will be even smaller, since he plan is to reduce the list of different componets in general.

You should also not underestimate those little cars. The Golf VII1.4 TSI (140) hp with DSG, for example had about the same capabilities like the Golf IV GTI 20V (turbo) The chassis and suspension is rock solid at high speed 210+km/h never felt unsafe in any way, what can not be said about the olderGolf IV GTI.

The Polo today is what the Golf used to be 10 years ago.

I guess our EU counteroart is this: MEDIA | Tourenwagen Junior Cup

Since AMS2 is much better in replicating the sensation of driving, compared to ACC for example, I would not exspect it to "feel" much slower than GT4 racing. But since the cars are FWD you woud realistically "feel" more in the Steering Wheel, compared to the artificial FFB input we have with RDW cars. You would also not choose a track with F1 chicanes for such car classes, rather Moto GP Tracks.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. SoliderScissors

SoliderScissors New Member

That's real commitment right there! Buying the actual car to compare it to the sim version! Very, very nice!! :D:D;)

• Funny Funny x 13
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

I know very well those VW cars. I owned a Golf 7.5 1.4 TSI (150 cv) with the dual clutch 7 speed DSG. It's a very good road car, but boring as hell. You have nothing under your right foot after 4000 rpms, and the chassis is soft for track use, plus you can't disconnect the electronic aids, the ESP is always on slowing you down. It can't rotate.

That car lasted me 9 months. I moved to the more powerfull GTI, same year model, and the car I have until now. It's a different beast, a much better fun car, but it's also not useable on track because you can't fully disable electronic aids too, so understeer fest without rear rotation off throttle :-(

While I didn't drive the Polo, it has similar behaviour after reading and watching reviews. You can have fun in real life with those car, of course, putting in laps in every car in any track it's lots of fun, but I really don't know if we can get fun in a sim with a car like this on factory stock tune, without the ability to turn off ESP and TC. But I can be wrong of course, I'm speaking on my own experience with the Golfs, may be the Polo behaves better because less weight and wheel base. We will see :)

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of fun driving my GTI everyday, but it's not a car I would choose to drive in a sim. In fact, there was more fun driving my ex Peugeot 308 GTi on a track because you can fully disconnect the ESP and TC, plus better brakes and dynamics.

10. JAGLeMans

JAGLeMans Member

What are people’s thoughts on the different Champ Car/Indycar’s?

Are we looking at, say, a Reynard, Lola, Penske from the late ‘90’s/00’s? Or cars from distinct era’s with quite different performance profiles? Like the Formula Classic’s.

Unlike F1 the chassis & engine regs seemed pretty stable over a 15-20 year period. I remember some oddball entries like the Mercedes’ & Buick pushrod specials. Plus, Porsche’s entry.

11. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I would imagine they could bundle things like the current F1 classes in AMS2. I wouldn't expect more than one class initially, but who knows...

12. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Are we going to get superspeedway serup configurations for the cars?

13. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

In 1997 Newman-Haas entered two Swift 007s for Mikey and Christian.....
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  14. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

What I'd ideally like to see is cars from 1968, 1978, 1988, 1998, 2008 and 2017.

Looking at what Renato said: "an ensemble of 1990s Champ Cars from various seasons in that great decade for American single seater racing" then in an ideal world that would be early decade Lola, Penske, Galmer and late decade Reynard and Swift. I believe the car we see in the screenshot is the 1999 Reynard 99i.

So my best guess in "anything is possible" scenario:

Gen1:
    1992 Galmer G92
    1993 Lola T93/00
    1994 Penske PC-23

Gen2:
    1999 Swift 010.c
    1999 Reynard 99i

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

Those late 90s Swifts are really something else... I definetely think a lot more about the '98 Della Penna than I have any right to do

[​IMG]

16. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Still really hoping for at least a mock modern IndyCar, because these are even more different from F1 now than they were in the 90's, and it would be very interesting to compare them to the more modern F1 cars. Also, they would nicely fill the pace gap between Formula V10 Gen2/Reiza/Ultimate and F3.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Empty Box

Empty Box Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Not sure they are more different from F1 today than they were in the 90s.

Back then they had more power than a then-current F1 car (and definitely if we factor adjustable boost), more weight, physically much larger than a period F1 car, proper tire war, turbos, and a sequential lever transmission. Might also have more aero as well comparatively, brakes were still steel though I'm not sure how much that'll matter for sim racing.

Big thing is power, size and weight - which is what makes it distinctly not an F1 car. Even if the basic "numbers" would be sort of similar to a modern F1 car it'd be coming from peak 1990s technology, not modern technology.

Compared to a a now current F1 car, the modern IndyCar is of similar size now that F1 cars have gotten huge, less powerful, still heavier, tires that are slippy slidy, less aero, paddle shifted, turbo while F1 is turbo again. It's a whole lot less but it's not as big of a jump of philosophy IMO as F1 cars have grown substantially.

If they are doing multiple cars from the 90s you'd expect 1992-1994 "clone cars" for the first half of the decade, and then a Reynard and Swift for the 97/2000 chunk. You'd have enough breathing space between the early cars and later cars by way of more power, better tires, better aero even if 4 or 5 years doesn't seem like it'd be much of a gap.

I'm thinking we'll probably only get late 90s style cars only, but if they manage to do two chassis, a few engine types and maybe even a pair of tire manufacturers it'd go a good way to making it work.

A modern car might happen though, wouldn't be that surprising as you'd guess they'd have a similar amount of content in Part 2 of the Racin' USA pack as they did Part 1.

(I wonder if we'll get an IRL car :confused::eek::D)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  18. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Just to highlight this is why it must be difficult to be a game designer! For me, the exciting possibilities that Nissan brings are how it could expand existing classes, with a lot of cool cars. The GT1 (R390) was top of that list, but they'd also have possible machines for GT3 (R35 GT-R), Group C (R89C), '70s GTs (240Z) and '70s Touring (Datsun 510).

Cool cars all of those, to me. The Deltawing... nah, not so much.

So sympathy to game devs who have to cater for both of us! I think Reiza are doing a good job of the balance though.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. deekracer

deekracer Active Member

Been waiting a long time for that. Would be a good match with the 2002 turbo.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Nah, better skip those dark memories of US openwheel racing. :D
    I’m all for 90s CART / Indycar.

Best case imo would be
    • 1990-1991 era
    • 1994-1995 era
    • 1999-2000 era

And if I had to choose just one it'd be mid 90s.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2