1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMS2 Sound Mod?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by DaveC187, Nov 12, 2021.

1. DaveC187

DaveC187 Member

I saw an interesting post on RD asking if there was a mod that allows the exterior view sound of the vehicle to be heard in cockpit view. I found this interesting because the exterior view car sounds are drastically better sounding, but obviously not realistic to hear that type of vehicle sound while inside the cockpit. However, I think it would be cool to have a blend slider that lets the player choose how much of the exterior view sound can be heard while in cockpit view. This will allow some of those awesome sounding exhausts to be heard inside cockpit view. I'm assuming 90+% of people play in cockpit view, so it just seems to be a waste to have all of those beautiful sounds not be heard.
    Thoughts?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

In theory, those exterior sounds should be heard (to some extent) by way of sound-reflections (when driving near / between walls or buildings). AC / ACC utilize such effect quite well, imo. I believe some tracks in AMS2 already incorporate such effect.

Having some of that external sound mixed in with the internal audio might be good but, probably only up to a certain point.

Interestingly, the new Corvette C8 Z06 has a special engine-exhaust design that does that very thing, to provide the occupants with more of the external exhaust noise.

3. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

At least in my past experiences the external sound reflections have been very hit and miss in AMS2. The famous tunnel at Monac... Azure used to generate no echo effects except for a few chosen cars. Recently, driving under the Monza tunnel used to generate some sound reflections but these were removed in a subsequent update, not sure why.

4. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, I'm certain there is much work yet to be done on the audio front in AMS2. Audio development refinement and balancing often comes near end of game development. I look forward to hearing what Reiza can achieve but, the results already exceed PC2 in some ways so, I take that as a good sign. We know F-mod is a capable sound-engine, it takes a lot of time to learn it and apply those lessons across the content.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DaveC187

DaveC187 Member

Some of the cars sound pretty good in cockpit view, but others are way too muffled. For example, drive the sprint cars and listen to the exterior car view sound compared to cockpit view. The exhaust notes disappear when in cockpit view. It's sad, because the exterior car sounds are pretty fantastic, but rarely get to hear them.

• Agree Agree x 1