1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Right...
    Even though there's a significant update due tomorrow :) that could change the FFB landscape.
    I look forward to seeing what comes with unexpected new FFB.

Ive settled on a current state set up and tune to suit my new Simagic Alpha mini.
    Its been a new learning period trying to dial in the base more than the file.
    I found the finer details like texture etc needed a little boost in file to work better with the current Alpha manager software. Also I found that it quite liked the scrub out of older Easter Fuktor, so have presented both options.

Outside of that , what worked and what didn't on the t300 crosses over without issues
    but ive tried to keep things very similar to stock 4.6 but also a little less complicated , so it should suit a wide variety of wheel bases and can easily be tuned by anyone. ;)

Once again a massive thanks to @Domagoj Lovric :hurrayreiza:for helping with Monza issue, I have included the base rFuktor 4.6 by our inspiration @Karsten Hvidberg with jolt fix for future reference also.

Edit : updated Delta S can be found here.
    Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Found another element that is part of the jumps on the parabolic ... I think only one or two problem is missing.....

These 5 lines bring together and summarize the whole custom file, if you delete the single items backwards (one by one) in the first 3 lines (starting from the last characteristics in color) ... you will notice that only by disabling the "rear" in the road festures (delete this word in the second line of code) will partially reduce the jump in the parabolics ... this means that in the end the remaining problem is inside the rack_momentum or its subsections ... part of the problem has been removed from Dom (the right left slide) the remaining part is still present and can be in there only because the rest is all disabled (no in the road futures and no in the effects) ... facts and not personal interpretations.

(rack_big rack_momentum)
    (road_features (+ slope_large suspension rear road_bumps road_details (* texture texture_scale 0.5)))
    (effects (+ engine_effect tear_effect scrub_effect flatspots_effect))
    (all (+ rack_big road_features effects))
    (output all)

Would it be possible to know who has the qualification of beta tester and especially who among them writes publicly here in this forum? :whistle:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Stakanov

4. Kuku Maddog

this Rear element is just the application to the rack of the rear bumps .
    Lowering rear bumps scale and playing around with
    Rear bump Hard which alters the spring force would advised instead.

(rear_bump_scale 0.6)
    (rear_bump_hard 0.9)

Or maybe apply some more smoothing to its workings.
    (rear (- rear (smooth rear 0.02)))
    (rear (spring rear (* rear_bump_hard 10000) 1.0))
    (rear (* rear 0.0036 rear_bump_scale))

5. Stakanov

Right is just the application to the rack ... the rest of problem is in the rack if you smooth or reduce is a placebo

• Like Like x 1
  6. Manolo

Manolo Member

Well I start to buy too, so the effects amplify the problem but they are not the origin of the defect, but in the rack the main cause persists. ;)

7. Stakanov

Yes, correct, if you use the Easter file the defect is much less noticeable and in fact it is not a coincidence that the secondary code for the "rear" effect is missing in that file and also the secondary code for the "scrub" is different, but it is not a solution is only causality as the underlying problem was already present in the Easter ... resetting or using those codes is placebo ... I will do it too if a solution is not found but it is cunning. ;)

8. Kuku Maddog

The reason it’s not sensitive in Easter file, is because it doesn’t have the caster trail geometry forces, and is taking the force from the tyre effects instead of more direct steering angle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Stakanov

For me caster trail is problem maybe only for the slip not for the jolt in the center of wheels in any bank of parabolic … even now i have slip even if reduced if you test with high gain and high velocity … if you enter in Easter the rear and other effect whitout trail the jolt is here … try first a reverse test!!!

EDIT: Or in the opposite delete trail line code in this file … the defect is here….

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  10. Kuku Maddog

yes the caster trail and direct from steering rack force application is the problem, but it is also the strength of this custom file, and works perfectly well for 99% of the tracks in the title.
    So you see, it’s got a lot to do with the classic parabolic section of track . It’s different to any other surface.
    Before the left to right fix from dom, it displayed a most peculiar characteristic in the second curve, it would pull the left wheel upwards towards the barrier and the right down towards the grass. Even at walking pace.
    That is not something you would expect.

11. Stakanov

Repeat i edit after: Iin the opposite case delete trail line code in this file … the defect is here….

12. Kuku Maddog

But you are still experiencing the steering rack forces in a more direct way,
    (angle_d_l (* angle_d_l force_scale))
    (angle_d_r (* angle_d_r force_scale))

older versions used the forces from tyre effects

(tyre_l (* tyre_l force_scale))
    (tyre_r (* tyre_r force_scale))

you can remove all of the newer steering angle and caster stuff, and revert back to tyre effect base force to the momentum rack, but then that’s not going to feel as good for 99% of the game.
    Been there done that .. :whistle:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Stakanov

You are incredible :D … the glass is smooth… good night!!!

14. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@Kuku Maddog I'm really enjoying your latest iteration in the Delta 5 set. And I'm really feeling the self-centering effects of the caster in some of the cars. imho, this is still not nearly strong enough, the caster effect that is. imho the effect should always be there trying to make the front wheels point straight. But even so this latest update I've been playing with tonight is simply breathtaking.

15. Kuku Maddog

Increase centering strength to what has been used previously .
    (centering (blend (- 1 trail_strength_feel) 0.22 0.5)) # Range 0.22-0.52

Go for 0.52 and see how it feels.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Stakanov

While we wait for the update of the game and also of the FFB, hoping that Reiza's Default FFB itself can become the new reference (at least until the compilers return), I am attaching the last file of mine tuned by me reminding everyone that we have nothing written, we have done nothing and we have mixed so much, (no genius only copy, cut and paste) long live humility,
    regardless, this file is 100% track usable and 100% car usable, the jolts on the parabolic curve are practically almost eliminated but above all without clipping (you will see which defect remains to be fixed in the rack), obviously you may not like it, you can change the values of the voices or effects or you can continue to use what you want ... I am interested in your judgments and if you give me the elements I am here to improve something you do not like ... GOOD NEXT UPDATE TO ALL AND IN THE MOUTH OF THE WOLF (GOOD LUCK) TO REIZA!!!

I was undecided about the title, I thought WE ARE ALL KARSTEN but then I thought about it .... in bold the modified voice...
    NAME: Silver Raw - rFuktor 4.6 WE ARE ALL GENIUS V1* :D:D:D - M.Rack 6.3 - Tuned by Stakanov for Gear/Belt Wheels (LITTLE Deadzone)

*Based on last Original rFuktor 4.6 (Fix) Karsten's file...
    + Brake Centering setting code from 4.1/4.0 Karsten's file revisited...
    + Centering and ForceScale revisited...

+ Gearbox setting code added from Project Cars 2 Karsten's file...
    + Tyre resist, statics force, rear removed, bump weight rear block and lock_stop revisited...
    + Tyre Deform setting code added from 4.4 Karsten's file...
    + Tyre Viscosity, Os/Us Coef., Tack factor setting code added from Easter Karsten's file + Scrub Mix Easter/4.6...
    + Use of Trail_scale adjustments revisited...
    + Not use of caster in all file with only fix value Dom's and not only in 1 line...

+ NO Kart tuning (WIP NO TIME FOR DEFINE)...
    + Personal tuning and in game cursors value revisited + Many Smooth code avalaible and disable with #simbol to taste!!!

GAIN 96 - LFB 66 - FX 56 - DP (Powerstering) 26

Only for wheels gear/belt with little deadzone ... if you like or if you want I am attaching the huge deadzone version ...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. Manolo

Manolo Member

Quick test at Monza 10k with GT3-GT4-GT1 the bump of the parabolic curve is not felt at all even if GAIN 100 LFB 80, then I loaded the V10Gen2 with the recommended values Gain 100 LFB 66 (or even 56) and also here the bump has disappeared, a background roll remains in the center, as if the cars have a problem with the front transmission (little tictoc left-right in the center that is present in the telemetry) but the car remains drivable without clipping and does not slide to the left as before. ;)

Now I am testing various cars in Kansai, a track that I use a lot for various changes of direction and at the same time of level, I'm having a lot of fun. :cool:

As soon as I finish I go to green hell, good job, i like a lot!! :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Stakanov

@Manolo
    thanks for feedback ;) it's V1 we can improve it a lot, with better tuning, better force scales value and with some smooths that now are all off ... let's see first what FFB update comes out that should be tonight. :)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. AndreiC

AndreiC Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Update was delayed as they found a bug that needs some time to fix.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Kuku Maddog

Hi Stakanov

On paper this adaption made a lot of good sense

(angle_d_l (* angle_d_l (+ 1 (* trail_scale (- (* (+ 0.025 0.015) 20) 1))))) #Not use of caster_trail_FL and pn_trail_FL but only value Dom's
    (angle_d_r (* angle_d_r (+ 1 (* trail_scale (- (* (+ 0.025 0.015) 20) 1))))) #Not use of caster_trail_FL and pn_trail_FL but only value Dom's

Unfortunately it does not work as hoped in practice.
    making this change then brings a return of the violent left or right jolt :eek: