1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most improved vehicle class in v1.3

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Roar McRipHelmet, Nov 27, 2021.

?
  1. Caterham

26.7%
  2. DPI / P1

6.7%
  3. F3

10.0%
  4. F Classic

3.3%
  5. F Reiza / F Ultimate

0.0%
  6. F Retro / F Vintage

46.7%
  7. F V10 / F V12

6.7%
  8. Group A / Group C

6.7%
  9. GT1 / GT3 / GTE / GT Open

16.7%
  10. GT4 / GT5 / Ginetta

16.7%
  11. GT Classics / Vintage TC

3.3%
  12. Lancer Cup

10.0%
  13. Mini JCW

20.0%
  14. P2 / P3 / P4

6.7%
  15. Porsche Cup

3.3%
  16. ProCar

3.3%
  17. Sprint Race

6.7%
  18. Stock Car 2019-21 / Copa Montana

6.7%
  19. Street Supercars

3.3%
  20. Superkart

3.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

What vehicle class in AMS2 do you think has improved the most?
    Not necessarily your favorite class, but the class that you think has improved the most between v1.2.5.1 (or the last time you tried AMS2) and v1.3

Alternatively, write a comment about a car that you previously didn't enjoy driving but that you've now changed your mind about.

And I'm sorry about merging all the car classes! A poll in this forum is limited to 20 answers. I've only included classes that have had drivetrain changes between v1.2.5.1 and v1.3 - hopefully I haven't missed anything crucial and hopefully the merging is somewhat fair. (Example: Group A/C drive very differently, but are from the same era). Since people can have problems picking a single answer, I allow people to select their top 5.

2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

-Caterham (Honestly...the diff was necessary to give them turn-in)
    -DPI/P1 (throttle lifting induces reaction now)
    -F-Retro/Vintage (Somehow different in a good way, but my AMS1 muscle memory triggers)
    -F3 (pure pump-up and similar to AMS1 now)
    -Stock 2019 (pure pump-up and similar to AMS1 now, but better)

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Where’s the V8 supercar in the list o_O

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Balrog

Balrog Active Member AMS2 Club Member

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Obbzy_XR_

Obbzy_XR_ Member

Super V8. That thing was an absolute dog before1.3....
    ... now, Magnifico! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Without a shadow of a doubt imo of course!
    The Formula Retros & Vintage
    Single car wise BT44. (for me)
    EDIT bt44 and Lotus 79 tested, so probably and hopefully all cars in these 2 class's
    The amount of discussion esp the drive train (diff, geared, lsd, lag in diff response and its reaction to throttle. My dripping on about this lag drove me nuts as well as what the diff did in response to throttle on/off.
    Now the car can be controlled with finesse as the engine braking response with correct timing (immediate) and couple to a diff that works correctly
    Compensatory driving is no longer needed.
    Thread below was very long for a long long time with many contributors including op @Damian Baldi , put off and have yet to return. I hope to see some names return to forum having tried the class after this update. More so to see people racing the fantastic historic content that now drives more naturalistically.
    Now we can read back and think bloody hell! its been a while but worth the wait. Grats devs/all etc
    Formula-Retro drivability

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I was hoping that I could edit the poll and rename the options that had received no votes, e.g. change "F Reiza / F Ultimate" to "Super V8". Unfortunately, once a poll option has been published, it doesn't seem to be possible to change it.
    Had I known this before I made this thread, I would at least made room for one "Other" option.

Anyway, the Super V8 is indeed lots of fun. :)

8. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Mini JCW is now driveable and provides great close racing opportunities. Previously it was unsteerable under throttle, now it's a lot more believable corner exits. Just a joy to drive now :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

So many cars feel amazing now, I think to try all of the cars I'll need another 2 weeks! It has been a pleasure to try each one with the new physics and the numbers playing online last night tell the story, so that's great to see. The hot cars are a huge surprise as was the fan car.

There are a couple of cars that I don't think have been done huge favours by the update though, the Caterham 620 for example, while the superlight is a dream come true, the 620 doesn't feel right to me. I drive a Tiger so I love Caterham models in games. I think the way they respond on the power is the key characteristic of the car type, on the superlight that is just right, down to the little reassuring 'shake' it gives you at the end of a powerslide (my favourite feeling in real life).

The caterham 620 just feels like it's on ice, too much power for the level of grip it has, perhaps that is how the monster would drive in real life, but I find that hard to believe, I suspect it, like the slower models, would also reassure you with grip with the correct inputs, even with all those horses.

Does anybody else feel this way about it or is it just me?

10. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

I used to think the same but the 620R became very controllable. However there is still a massive amount of power readily available for the weight of the car and as such a gentle throttle approach is needed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Bizarre Formula

You maybe right, I've considered this and of course the only way to handle it is to go so gently on the throttle, but still, I can't help but feel like it is overdone on that model.

12. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Try playing around with diff preload actually (it's adjustable and will stay that way).

Lower will give you slightly less initial throttle snap, a bit worse traction and probably slightly more turn-in response off-throttle.

Higher will give you slightly more initial throttle snap, a bit more traction and probably slightly less turn-in response off-throttle.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Bizarre Formula

Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a try.

14. Bizarre Formula

Well, credit where it's due, you were spot on, a couple of clicks up made a world of difference. Good shout.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

My god the minis are great now, the JCW is gone from completely avoidable to absolutely fantastic, just leave it now :D
    And the classic is a lot less wobbly and you can really feel what’s going on, and have fun trying to keep the momentum with little controlled slides .

the TSi polo is also much better since patches. Quite fun for such a slow car, and the ffb feels much better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. mdecker79

mdecker79 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

There are sooooooooooooooooooooooo many more cars for me to drive now.

Before 1.3 there were cars that I wanted to like. I mean I really wanted to like them but they just didn't click once I drove them so I more or less wrote them off and didn't try them other then after an update.

Now on the other hand.. So far every car I wrote off drives great and now AMS2 has given me a crap load more cars to enjoy and drive.

Also the AI is fantastic compared to what it was before the update and it was pretty good before this update.

500 hours into AMS2 before the update and it's now a completely new game. Time to rack up some hours.

• Like Like x 2
  17. muz_j

muz_j Active Member

Agreed. My favourites seem to have gotten better and at least one that I thought was decent before is crazy fun now - the Lotus 72E. It's super fun to slide it through corners.
    I've got quite a few cars to either test after v1.3 or go back and revisit a couple I didn't really like before (mainly the Formula Vintage cars, as they never felt right to me, so I'm curious how much better they are now).

18. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The across the board improvements are magical in general (yay no more snap mid corner oversteer) , but I have to agree with @Kuku Maddog about the JCW. This car is just so much fun to drive now. It used to be a torque understeer bastard but now is perfectly controllable via throttle balance. So much fun to throw around on smaller club tracks like Cadwell and the AI give a good account of themselves too. It looks great, and somewhere along the line the sound improved too. I'm not really a fan of FWD cars but not only is this an exception, I'd almost go so far as to say it's one of the better FWD cars in simracing generally.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Pieter Nienhuis

Pieter Nienhuis Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Inspirational post, i’ll try the Mini later today

20. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

(Disclaimer: i haven't tried any Formula cars in V1.3 yet)

OMEGA STOCK CAR! No contest :)

It's now stable enough to race, but still overwhelms its tires at some point due to its heft. It's way more agile and the extra weird diff it had is now gone, so it actually follows a corner without sliding off in random directions.

Honorable Mentions: JCW Mini, Old Stock, F309.