1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 4, 2020.

1. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

delete, double post

2. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

This is how old wives tales start - by people making assertions without evidence.
    It seems logical to me that boosting lower forces without equally boosting higher forces, by definition, affects the "purity" of the FFB signal - you are effectively compressing it. This may or may not be desirable on certain wheelbases, but to claim categorically that a setting is not supposed to be at zero is nonsense.
    I agree though that it pays to experiment - that is always a better idea than taking assertions from some random on the internet as fact. Some might find that things work best for them with one or more settings at 0. And that is fine, even if others might make bold claims to the contrary

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Its probably car specific but with the GTEs I was getting a lot of clipping which is why I settled on 60. I know for the FV10 I had to crack the car multiplier up to around 105.

Its been so long since I've driven a car without power steering I can't really remember what the road feels like through a steering wheel any more haha. I do have bass shakers so they're probably making up for a lot of the lost feelings

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. chonk

chonk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Couldn't agree more, getting Gain dialed in is the most important thing. Setting it just below where it will clip noticeably in a high downforce car and then adjusting strength per car from there works well for me. There is much more feeling of grip coming and going, just more nuance, without the addition of large amounts of Damping or Lfb. You can even see the detail get wiped out in the ffb tool as you increase them significantly. High values just seem to smear the base signal.

Of course people should use whatever settings feel good to them, but some detail is definitely lost at higher values.

5. amsimp

amsimp Impatient Racer

I’m curious about something guys,, am I going to miss any important feedback if I set damping to 0?

I have a CSL Elite FFB Default Gain 60 LFB 50 FX 40 and Damping 0. It’s a weak wheel and I need the LFB, but, I don’t like the dull feeling of having both LFB and Damping working at the same time. The dev update said damping should be implemented but i tried damping between 5-30, it just feels like a resistance without extra feedback. Lol so question is am I losing any possible important feedback if I chuck damping on 0?

6. Hatch

Hatch New Member

You're probably missing more feedback from having a high low force boost. If anything, I think the damping takes feedback away but smooths it out a little

7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Yes, the LFB seems a bit high at 50 for that wheel. Damping will work in concert with LFB, so the setting at 50 LFB won't be the same as at 15 LFB. @amsimp try LFB=15 or less and Damping=15 or less as a good starting point (assuming all your Fanatec settings are bone stock/default).

8. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Much to do with Damping is largely about wheel rotational speed but, smoothing is generally a secondary resulting condition. Interestingly, I can now run Damping at 100% in-game (With Default and Plus) and still need a bit of extra Damping in the wheel-driver settings. It does suggest a major change in Damper Scaling.

This does seem odd but, even without Damping applied, I'm getting very minimal scrub and surface detail coming through (SimuCube2 Sport), so I'm back to using a custom profile, where I can increase such details.

Still, the reduction in scrub, micro bumps and road texture seems to be evident even when using custom profiles, or adding LFB.

This is all an observation on my part and I'm fine with using custom profiles and tuning certain effects myself but, prior to the current release version, I was very pleased with Default+ but, a bit surprised at how much it has changed in this release.

I realize that my hardware constitutes a small minority and the Default presets may be intended for mainstream wheels however, it may be useful to share my findings.

Default-ffb has more road-effects than "Plus" however, they are quite grainy (and Spikey), even with additional filtering and Damping applied. This also seems like a very significant departure from recent Beta-releases.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. buddhatree

buddhatree Member

It would be so nice to have the first page of this thread updated with the new info and recommended settings. I never really get to just drive this game because I'm constantly changing FFB settings because it's all guesswork:

Do I leave all damper settings on my wheel off and just use in-game damper? I don't know. I remember reading that somewhere but is that for DD wheels or belt drive? I don't know.

Should I use FX on a DD wheel? Fanatec says no, what does Reiza say? I don't know.

Should I use default or default+ ? What's the difference? I don't know.

Please Devs, a little help, update the first page so we know what we're doing.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't know what has been happening with the updates since yesterday's release, but now both beta and Release feel completely different to how they did yesterday, that fineness of control has gone and the FFB is horribly lumpy and confusing and I feel clumsy in the cars once again. :(

11. GodzillaGTR

GodzillaGTR Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Did you get a chance to try the ffb file I sent? Honestly if you aren't able to feel specific details with that file I can say with a lot of confidence the issue is on your end. I don't know what it could be, but the file I sent had quite a bit of details.

12. amsimp

amsimp Impatient Racer

So with the Fanatecs (CSL Elite), if the driver damper is set to DPR100 and in game 0, would that be the same as DPR0 and damper 100 in game?

DPR100, in game damper 0 = DPR0, in game damper 100??

When I have the wheel DPR100 and in game 20, it feels like 120 damper, sort of thing (just what I feel but Ik it’s not logical)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  13. Flavio Engel

Flavio Engel Member

Can you post your settings... Did not find a good setup yet.

14. Supa

Supa Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Can confirm that I also need to add some extra Wheel driver settings...for me Damper as well as some friction and inertia in addition to %100 ingame damper setting!
    Supa.png

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Dean Ogurek

Thanks for confirming that.

16. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

There is no problem on my side. Everything works fine in any other game.But in AMS, Reiza changed something with the gyro/ damping which I hate. It is soft, weak and smooth. Like I hate it

17. Dean Ogurek

The Damper Scale is quite different from previous versions. A lot more of it is required to get a similar result (like twice as much).

18. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

I do not use damping anyway in games. But now there is a huge damping within the default files I can not get rid of.

19. Dean Ogurek

That's odd. It's just the opposite with my wheel.
    I do not use much - if any, LFB though. I have to imagine, that's making the difference.

Off to do more testing . . .

20. Supa

Supa Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Weird alright. With DD at least u need damping etc but not sure with consumer wheels otherwise wheel is just not connected to the tyres! The signal is too raw without any damping if that makes sense. ams2.png Supa.png

• Agree Agree x 1