1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 4, 2020.

1. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

And I truly love a raw signal, as I had a raw, pure feeling with the few race cars I had the change to drive in real life. Nothing was smooth or damped there. Default file could offer a feeling like that before the update, now it is gone.

2. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Just a thought, have you tried running the default custom? as in Reizas custom placeholder. Maybe it’s still got something different, or maybe if it happens to feel the same you might be able to alter some values to get what you want out of it.

I will have a play with it later and see what I can do .

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Yes, it is like one of the defaults.
    But in general, I do not want to tinker with FFB settings again almost 2 years after I bought the game. It was perferct before, now it is completely broken to me.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Raw is usually not a problem with DD-wheels although, I hear the SS systems are quite dampened, by nature. Inertia is a setting that typically counters Damping.

Tested using both LFB and Damping at 50% (as configured with game Defaults). That does as Marc describes, working in combination, so more detail comes through.

I'll try replacing the "Custom" profile (as Kuku suggests), and tweak that next. My issue with the defaults is the lack of road details, scrub, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Kuku Maddog

Understandable
    I will have a look at it for you after tea.

6. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Thanks for your helpfulness, mates.:)

What I think when looking at the settings ppl provide in the other ffb thread of Karsten, is that most players seem to love a rather smoothed out ffb in racing games. And Reiza paid attention and obviously delivered. Unfortunately, I belong to the minority who likes the raw thing more. My main problem is that the feeling for micro bumps and sinks is gone now and no matter which custom file I tried, I can not get this feeling back on my belt driven wheel. I know the small, mean sink is there in a certain corner (i.e.: the hairpin in Spielberg up the hill), I can actually see it, the car reacts to it, but I have no feeling for it anymore.

7. Kuku Maddog

Ok so you are looking for more gravel and sharp edges plus longitudinal movement.
    I still remember how default used to feel on my old t300.
    Was pretty noisy, so will try to get some of that back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Supa

Supa Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Not sure what you're on about. Surely you realise in real life your steering wheel is going though a steering rack for starters! Add in the suspension and then tyres you have at least 3 things affecting what you're feeling though the wheel. That's what the Damping, Friction, Inertia are settings are replicating in our wheel software!

9. Supa

Supa Active Member AMS2 Club Member

And to tell whats better....do some laps and see whats faster!

10. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Faster does not automatically mean better - with very low ffb settings and a track feeling flat as table, you can rush over high curbs on historic tracks like they were not there. That's not how I enjoy racing games.;)

11. EmilG

EmilG Member AMS2 Club Member

To be honest, ams2 can learn a lot from RaceRoom. Which gives back into the wheel raw physics inputs, and they have a graph that you can display, and per car you either scale up or down until the graph is just ever so slightly hitting the max (right before clipping). Works perfect, and the ffb is unbelievably awesome. Instead, we get the data from the old pc2 graph which causes a lot of confusion and not many people know how to tune the ffb according to that pc2 graph. It's got too many bars

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Kuku Maddog

@deadly
    Well unfortunately the Reiza custom isn't really responsive to changes, and quite frankly its smoother than both default and plus.
    I firmly believe Default + is more detailed and stronger than default too.
    But both have very little weight or substance to them without some good use of damping slider on my DD.

Best I can offer is a harder edged , (reduced smoothing) Delta Custom Tune.
    But im not sure its going to be more than Default + in terms of harshness.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Sting Ray

Sting Ray Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey...am away from home until the weekend, so can't post the settings as yet....cheers

• Like Like x 1
  14. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot. Will give it a try when I am back home this evening.

15. GJDriessen

GJDriessen Member

I hope Reiza comes soon with some explanation on FFB and suggested settings for commonly used wheels.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Dean Ogurek

The gap that exists between the mass-market wheels and DD-wheels are more complex than can be explained by "Dynamic-range" alone. The tools (tuning software) may vary as well, so it's understandable that providing a one-size-fits-all solution to ffb tuning is unlikely. Add to that, personal preference. ;)

So long as we have the "Custom-ffb" option, we still have hope!:p:)

17. Kuku Maddog

But even with custom it’s the same thing, while we can share what slider values we use for each given wheel, it’s not a given that it suit another user with same equipment.
    It’s still a case of you need to find out for yourself by a method of experimentation.
    A lot of people ask what’s the best settings for this wheel etc.
    but I’ve never found another users best ever setting to be good (for any sim ) There’s always something that’s too strong or too weak.

18. Dean Ogurek

Yeah, understood. For those of us with a stronger preference in ffb characteristics, fine-tuning our own custom "custom-ffb" file is the best way forward.

19. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

20. Sim Driven

Sim Driven New Member

@buddhatree Spot on turning off damping ingame and at the wheel transformed the game for DD1!

upload_2021-12-1_19-54-17.png upload_2021-12-1_19-54-44.png