1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F3 (F309 and F301)

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by FromMoon, Dec 3, 2021.

1. FromMoon

FromMoon New Member

Hi, guys!

Opening this thread not on bug report because I don't know if this is a feature or not. I don't recall right now if F301 has the same problem but F309 certainly does. They've this "alarm" sound when you're running them that pisses me off sometimes. It's bearable but I would be happier without it. I tired to search forum for this but ended up in nothing
    You can hear it at the background in the last SimRacing604 video at this link:

Is this a bug or a feature? If it's a feature: what is it for and how do I turn it off?? haha
    Thanks, guys!

2. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Not sure what you mean? I can't hear an "Alarm" sound
    "Track surface volume" is kind of prominent in the video, or perhaps you mean
    " Tyre Volume"

3. ray64040

ray64040 Member AMS2 Club Member

The sounds just after 1:49 and 2:02 at corner apex in the vid?

4. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

Not sure what you mean, I hear tyre sounds and sound of car going over curbs, but no alarm sound. I've driven the F3-309 a number of times on different tracks and never heard any alarm sound.

5. bandqit

bandqit Active Member

I think I know what you mean. Here’s a video of mine.

It’s that sort of… repetitive quacking sound, right?! As you rev past a certain point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes that is the old "Track surface volume" at a (to) high volume.
    I think a tire slightly hits the grass in the turns
    Video is almost a year old sound has changed now, and the "Track surface volume" is very high

7. bandqit

bandqit Active Member

The video is 2 days old

8. FromMoon

FromMoon New Member

Absolutely not, you can hear it well on the video that @bandqit posted!
    In @bandqit video, as soon as he gets out of the pit you can hear it. He gets out of the pit, radio comes on, he swerves to the right, straights the car and the first "alarm" sound goes off and follow to be "alarming" the entire lap. The first one happens at 00:42.
    Thanks for posting, @bandqit

Yes, but principally in the straight after the corner, it's more prominent

Does anyone know what is it? Am I mad and no one hears it even in the videos? haha

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Ive been annoyed by that sound ever since I jumped in that car. It almost sounded like a loop when I noticed it at first but in that video its much more pronounced.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

I still have no idea which sounds you guys are talking about. I hear the gear upshift sound after the radio, the high pitched sound in the brake zones in the sound of abs, and there's also the sound of the wind for most of the lap.

11. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Its like a short duration quack I would describe it as.. once you hear it once you cant unhear it. Its one of those..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. R48

R48 New Member

The sound reminds me of a bullfrog.

13. lawgicau

lawgicau Active Member AMS2 Club Member

After drining the F309 today I have heard it and now cannot unhear it. Sounds like two frog sounds, then a few seconds gap, and repeat.
    I assume it's an artefact in the engine sound loop?

14. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Its not the drivetrain elasticity noise is it?

15. chonk

chonk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Haha no it's not, its always been there and it exists in quite a few cars. If you take one of the cars mentioned here to Daytona and do a couple of laps around the oval in top gear you should notice it.

It's an engine note that repeats every few seconds when you're flat out. As the others have said it sounds a lot like a frog in distress. o_O:eek:

But if you haven't noticed it yet I wouldn't go searching for it, it's quiet annoying.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Lucky I have not really used that car yet then, now I know it's there i would probably look for it.

17. FromMoon

FromMoon New Member

Hi, guys! After all this time I've returned to the game and the "alarm" sound appears to be a lot better but it stills there. I've recorded a video and uploaded it on YouTube so you guys can have an opinion too and tell if this is the correct behavior or not.

The sound becomes really noticeable at 5000 RPM but above 6000 RPM is really annoying

18. EmilG

EmilG Member AMS2 Club Member

I didn't hear it at first, but that video of you sitting still and revving it around 5000rpm, now I hear it! It's just the characteristic of that engine note.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, this is a normal type of looping artifact when making engine samples based on recordings of real cars. The reason why it seems to "ring twice" is because it's at the end of the original sample, and the engine sound is using reverse looping (forward playback, then immediately reverse playback, then immediately forward…) in order to sound smooth, which makes the "ring" reverse back and play a second time. And the whole thing repeats after a while when the whole sample has completed its loop, similar to how an alarm clock would beep twice, then pause, then beep twice…

I guess another reason why it sounds like an alarm to some people is that the formant frequencies in question are at around 2.5kHz which is where our ears are most sensitive.

Here is a spectrogram where I've highlighted the frequencies in question, and where you can see one loop before and one loop after. Note that I'm personally not bothered by any of this as I hear these kinds of things in engine samples everywhere, but I made this spectrogram in order to describe what some people hear and others don't.

FromMoon-f3-engine-sound-spectrogram.png

• Informative Informative x 6
  20. FromMoon

FromMoon New Member

Hi, @Roar McRipHelmet

Thanks so much for this information, I didn't know any of this. Guess I'll have to deal with this myself then

Thanks!!

• Like Like x 2