1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tip and considerations fo Developers

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Mario Moretti, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Mario Moretti

Mario Moretti Member AMS2 Club Member

I really appreciate AMS2 which I consider in terms of physics, FFB and VR graphics the best simulation currently on the market and I also very much appreciate the seriousness, competence and dedication of the development team who have demonstrated their tireless work on improving the game.

However, having said all this, I unfortunately believe that the inconsistency of the A.I. with performance either too fast or too slow, early or delayed braking, acceleration out of corners impossible for the player to match, inexplicable differences in performance between circuit and circuit or even between various sections of the same circuit deeply undermine the playability of the title.

The excellent immersion obtained with all the other components mentioned which return an excellent feeeling is completely nullified by the fluctuating and unrealistic performance behavior of the A.I. . Of course, all of the above relates solely to the single player aspect.

Therefore, I would like to advise the developers to focus primarily on the elimination of the defects of the A.I. as the rest of the sim has already reached a level of excellence.

My greatest fear is that to prevent the necessary optimization of the A.I. neither is the lack of will, ability and dedication of the Team but rather depends on the intrinsic limitations of the Madness Engine.
    Posterity will judge.
    Thanks anyway Reiza for the work done so far.

I forgot .... (the only flaw at the graphic level is the shimmering of the shadows ...).

2. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

ye right xD

i find it interesting to see the singleplayer community saying "fix singleplayer stuff rest is great" and then u have the multiplayer community, who say "fix multiplayer, rest is great already".

theres clearly problems everywhere, and i am pretty sure they know it.
    additionally they have been adjusting the AI pretty much every patch.
    they have tons of cars and tracks, it just takes time to get them all in-line

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mario Moretti

4. Mario Moretti

My greatest fear is that to prevent the necessary optimization of the A.I. neither is the lack of will, ability and dedication of the Team but rather depends on the intrinsic limitations of the Madness Engine......

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Vitor

Vitor Member AMS2 Club Member

Mario, can you name any of such “intrinsic limitations” of the engine? Do you, by any chance, have any experience working with it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mario Moretti

No Vitor, i dont have any experience whit Madness Engine but, given the time devoted to attempts to fix the AI both by SMS and by Reiza (we are talking about a few YEARS of development !!) without being able to get a playable AI, I begin to be pessimistic about it.

We will see what the future holds.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Vitor

Vitor Member AMS2 Club Member

Have you ever counter the number of combinations of cars, tracks, weather variations and tires in this game? Imagine how long it takes to calibrate the AI (taking into account the ranges of speed and aggression) for all possible scenarios.

Also, keep in mind we just got another breakthrough in the physics parameters of the game, which most likely (I also have no experience with the engine) throws a wrench in the calibration every time it happens.

Even with those constraints, my personal experience on racing with AI has been excellent lately. For sure there is always some places in a track where the ai is unbalanced, but after you know these general points it can be pretty fun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jeff Scharpf

Jeff Scharpf Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I really never had many issues with AI.. maybe once or twice but I think it was me pulling out of the pits and AI coming down a long stretch. I learned how to avoid this. As far as general racing lap after lap against AI in GT, F1, stock... AI seem great to me, as long as I run full length races when there is time for tires to wear out and fuel to burn up (not accelerated anything). I know most people don't have 3 hours to burn on one race, but when done this way, the AI seem really competitive and fair.
    I find, that usually if I am bumped off of the road, and I review the replay, it is a small mistake made by me where I could not expect the AI to anticipate a sudden move even though I didn't feel that way from in the car.
    Overall, in long races, I get great competition and pit strategies from the AI.
    I only play the series above, so I don't know about all of the other types of cars.
    Also, I'm not a great sim racer, so maybe my expectations are lower :)

9. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

SMS seemed to be held back by their publishing deals, which probably couldn't be avoided with the enormous amount they had to spend on licensing. Reiza is taking a slower, more practical approach and that's why they've been able to make the recent changes.

People asked about custom championships and customizable AI back in the buildup of PC1 (wmd). Reiza recently delivered both.

Racin' USA Pt.3 is going to need major AI updates and I have no doubt they will release the oval content together with the required improvements. Especially if they add full course cautions and a pace car. Another thing asked for back in wmd...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1