Really not a fan of this new engine protection

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by GrimDad, Mar 21, 2016.

1. GrimDad

GrimDad Member AMS2 Club Member

Totally spoilt my first club event for me. I'd prefer to risk blowing the engine than this system kicking in when I blip the throttle.
    At first I thought my wheel's shifter was failing. In the end I chose to retire.

Game killer imo

2. Conor Duffy

Conor Duffy New Member AMS2 Club Member

I've not experienced your issue with bliping but myself and the guys i play with are all unhappy with this addition. It's far too intrusive.

Not being able to shift from 3rd, to mid revs in 2nd with the F-Reiza is truly annoying.

If it worked as it should and prevented only shifts to v-high revs im sure it wouldn't be a problem. I'm sure the OP is not hitting the limiter with his blips so it should solve that too

3. P*Funk

P*Funk Active Member

Hopefully they're still tuning it. Having just tried the Reiza at Barcelona I didn't really find the restrictions going to 2nd from 3rd that noticeable except once. What I did notice though is an inability to ever grab 1st during a lap even if I was well into the bottom of 2nd's revs.

Also apparently from a standstill you can't downshift, not even to neutral meaning if you want to go into reverse you need to have a little gas in the car. Almost certainly a bug.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gongo

gongo Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

-

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  5. Lazarou

Lazarou New Member AMS2 Club Member

I thought my shifter on my T300 F1 wheel was going faulty until I realised what was going on. Too aggressive for me never really had a problem over revving on downshifts, this should at least be a option with maybe steps in place so you can fine tune it. (tested with Formula Extreme).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

i 100% agree should be optional.. Stops revving upshifts on starts too.

7. P*Funk

P*Funk Active Member

Doesn't need to be option, they just need to make it sensible.

8. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

This is what I experienced as well. Didn't have any troubles during downshifts otherwise, but being unable to go from 1st to neutral during standstill definitely seems like a bug to me.

Hopefully it'll be fixed soon. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tommi

Tommi Member AMS2 Club Member

The new Engine Protection system is a step forward in Simulation. But personally, I prefer the old gameplay. As everybody suggests, "Optional" or "make it sensible" would be appreciated. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. alexandre fonseca

alexandre fonseca Member AMS2 Club Member

I vote for Optional, as are all other game helps.

11. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

It's not a driving aid though, it's there to protect the transmission and the engine.

I haven't had any troubles with it myself, as I'm coming from Assetto Corsa and they implemented the overrev protection before, so I'm used to downshifting at low revs. But I'm all for tuning it until it is sensible enough to not overshoot it's purpose.

• Like Like x 2
  12. BattleOvce

BattleOvce In-game Patrik Šulc AMS2 Club Member

Spin out, no revs on car, I mean no throttle no brake... want to put 1st gear but I cant, clicking like ***** to downshift and nothing happens. Is it bug ?

13. casusbelli

casusbelli New Member AMS2 Club Member

I've found that I need to clutch in to shift from N to 1 in cars that have manual sequential (Marcas, SuperV8, etc). Don't know if that's working as intended, just letting the people that are having trouble know.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Well, that's the way the real sequential tranny's typically work. Sometimes 1-2 also benefits from clutch. After that, no clutch needed unless you need to downshift from 2-1 again (rare on a track, but if there is a tight turn that slow, get your left foot ready ;)

15. gongo

gongo Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

-

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  16. Mat Kane

Mat Kane Member AMS2 Club Member

Yep, it just killed the first league race of the season for myself and about five others. All stranded on the grid as several others smacked into us. I can downshift to 3rd or 2nd and rev the block off its mounts, but couldn't drop to 1st for anything. What does the auto-clutch option do now?

17. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

There are a few distinct issues being discussed here.

There are a couple of flaws related to revving / shifting in neutral, as well as a couple of cars (notably in cars with semi-auto boxes) for which downshift protection don´t work as intended. These are issues that are already being addressed, along with some fine-tuning of the functionality for some of the other cars.

Another issue is people trying to do things against the designed functionality of the boxes we´re trying to simulate. Having to use the clutch shift from neutral into 1st (or reverse) for instance is normal with sequential boxes & auto clutch off, the gearbox will not accept the gear change, and likewise for any such circumstance where ther rev mismatch between the engine and the drivetrain is too great.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  18. GrimDad

GrimDad Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi Renato

My problem was with the Metalmoro shifting down to first gear. I had made 1st very tall for better acceleration out of the slow corners at Interlagos. I wouldn't consider my blip of the throttle excessive or held for too long. Just a quick blip to stop compression lock.
    Before this feature was added it never over revved the engine when doing it either.
    Having a long first gear made starting more difficult but was advantageous in the slow corners.

Is the calculation done on speed of the car against the default gearbox 1st gear ?
    I would be happy to send you my setup if it helps

As for the starts I usually have auto clutch off so use the clutch pedal anyway.

19. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

The gear ratios or setup in general are not relevant for how the code operates in this regard, there´s a threshold for engine / drivetrain rev mismatch beyond which the gear change will either be refused (with sequentials), or "grind" (for H boxes). The gear ratios are relevant for you as the driver though, as it can increase / decrease the chances of such rev mismatch.

Generally if you have a tall 1st gear, it will bridge the gap to 2nd, minimizing the chances for a mismatch; if your blip is not timed right though, it can cause or aggravate the mismatch to the extent the gear change is not accepted.

20. LasseJO

LasseJO New Member AMS2 Club Member

I seemed to have another issue, possibly related to this new system. In the MR18, I had massive trouble pulling away in the pits, and also launching from the grid. It felt like the car ignored any throttle input I gave it, until I was rolling above something like 10km/h. Also, I could not turn of the pit limiter, before going above the 10km/h for the first time. That's a problem in the MR18, with a tall first gear, without any revs because of the limiter and no throttle input. The solution was to slam the clutch on and off a few times, while on full throttle. Once the car was rolling, it suddenly pulled away?

Auto cluch off, auto blip and lift on. Auto ignition off.

• Like Like x 2