1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi Karsten, good to see you back as well

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

The last time someone made a return like this , they wrote a book about that millions still read today. Think it’s called the Bable or something like that
    gifs and stuff: Image

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

lol, Karsten is actually the author of Bable: Old Testiclement

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Hahahaha,
    I don't think it can be kept a secret any longer who actually came up with the "rFuktor" name, that was several days of giggles! Thanks @Shadak, it still can make my day 8)

@Kuku Maddog 's "Bable" is pretty sweet too 8)

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

for me and my TSPC racer, default+ is really good, good enough to be on par with the Custom Silver Raw - rFuktor 4.6 - Momentum Rack 6.3 - Karsten with Shadak & Panos - High end file I was using prior to 1.3 Game update

talking about update, one thing I noticed, actually 2, is that kurbs feels is weaker and I am getting low to zero effect driving off the grass (I know I shouldn't but ....)

PS1 Karsten, nice to see you back here!
    PS2 @Reiza When will we be getting key bidding for LFB, damping and stuff, like PC2 offers and is super useful with Custom file FFB, not only Gain?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

I think you have a very good point about the frequency raising with the speed. I think it should also go up or down relative to tyre compound, track conditions, weight of the car, sidewall tension etc etc. Things that are probably beyond the Madness engine, or any engine in simracing for that matter.
    Im not sure about this though, maybe one of the devs can weigh in on this, but the tyre FX seems to be a single non dynamic sample of a tyre screeching/scrubbing.

Whatever the case may be, with the values as per the original FFB files the frequency of the FFB FX felt very much out of line with the sound FX, totally breaking the immersion for me.

I still need to figure out how to delay the FFB FX by setting the deadzone Karsten mentioned, but if I can make that work I think I will keep using it.
    It does indeed make it more noisy like you said, but for me personally it feels a lot more immersive if its in sync with the audio.
    But ofcourse this is also totally subjective and a matter of personal preference..

:)

• Like Like x 3
  7. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Oh yes, FFB will be about compromise a lot, its not easy to represent real life driving in all aspects. If we could get all the information about tyres and road surface etc. we could dial in the ultimate feel but tbh that would require people who have RL experience with those kinds of tyres and surfaces or at least relevant data.... that would turn this into a 2nd job which none of us can afford. I think its already possible to do so much with Karstens ability to put this all into a single FFB file and thats the beauty of it, you can quite easily change the frequencies if you feel like you need to raise them :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Vitaliy

Vitaliy New Member

On a real car, when you hit an uneven right wheel, the steering wheel pulls to the right more or less.

9. Manolo

Manolo Member

@Karsten Hvidberg
    I haven't heard from Stakanov since yesterday, I know he has a big (health) problem to shoot at, I hope he can come back here in a week or two and win the duel.
    In these 2-4 days in chat we dedicated ourselves to the FFB Default+ preset with our cheap Logitech G920 (or rather he advised and I tried to give him a confirmation or not of the result) and came to verify the goodness of the new Reiza Default+ profile respect to the old Defult profile.
    In particular and in summary he believes (which I share) that on the low belt/gear band, using tons of damping and effects, medium LFB aids and finally not too high GAIN, it is possible to obtain an FFB suitable for almost all the cars!!!
    These are the settings: GAIN 68 LFB 48 FX 98 DP 88
    With this configuration on Default+ and on the Logitech we get (finally) the elimination of the excess of elastic effect, some cars no longer become hard boulders to turn and to correct in counter-steering, you have a lot of information from the suspension, the weight of the car and the trail when braking, and finally, only some cars have little acceleration trail and perhaps become too light but always consistent (Stakanov only didn't like the Vee formula and the Karts as they are still immature using the Default+).
    In short, it seems a great improvement and all the cars have their own distinct and drivable personality, it seems to change almost steering wheel between one car and another.
    Doing the summation, he therefore judges it to be very similar in the background to the rFuctor 4.6, a file that he still prefers over the Default+, as the latter remains less energetic, less informative and detailed about the wheels, with an effect that is still too open and rubbery and finally with a minor trail in acceleration.
    Although deficient, however, it highlights the default+, as free from defects or rather from the one or two main imperfections that currently occur in the rFuktor 4.6:
    1) the "jolts or anomalies" in the central area of the steering wheel above the parabolic curves and the cements (Monza10k, Daytona, GreenHell, etc.) if the trail_strength_feel, rear and caster code are used;
    and/or
    2) the "oscillations" in the central area of the steering wheel with Formula cars if the trail_strength_feel, rear and caster code lines are not used.

The rest were summed up very well by the others. ;)

I hope he hasn't written any imperfections, have pity on my level of technical knowledge and allow me a special wish to Staky......................

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    • Useful Useful x 3
  10. Kuku Maddog

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Karsten Hvidberg

Thank you @Manolo,

I am worried to hear that,
    best of wishes for safe recovery @Stakanov, crossed fingers for you my friend.

-K

• Friendly Friendly x 8
  12. tUMi

tUMi Active Member

I've been away from AMS2 for a while but today I found some spare time for this sim and I decided to test the new Default+ that came with the AMS2 v1.3.0.0 (my very first time today with v1.3).

I have to admit I'm not satisfied with it either. I didn't do any fine-tuning with that profile, though. I just selected Default+ straight away and kept the same in-game FFB settings I used to have with Kuku's modified rFuktor 4.6 custom file (Delta-X Tune V3 to be exact). I didn't made any changes in True Drive as well (I'm using SC2 Sport too), everything was the same as with all previous Silver Raw custom files I've tested so far. My AMS2 in-game FFB settings were 33 (gain) / 10 (LFB) / 28 (FX) / 15 (damping, a.k.a power steering strength in rFuktor), same as earlier on with previous AMS2 version before v1.3.0.0.

So I selected Default+ and went for a test drive with McLaren F1 GTR on Nordschleife. Even before I started to drive the car out from the pit lane I felt some pretty heavy oscillations on my Ascher F28-SC V2 wheel. From very beginning the FFB felt very spongy and I had to really hold on from the wheel to prevent any further oscillations when driving. Then later on my lap I made a mistake and lost the control of the car. When I tried to correct the car while it oversteered my wheel literally tried to kill my wrists and fingers! Luckily no physical harm occured but it was a scary moment, I never had anything like that with rFuktor or any other Silver Raw custom files.

Then I dropped back in the modified rFuktor 4.6 custom file, Delta-X Tune V3 made by @Kuku Maddog . Went for a drive again with the same car and track, everything felt good again, just like it was before AMS2 v1.3.0.0. I will definitely keep using custom FFB files in the future too and forget about Default+ and Default, they are not my cup of tea either.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Heat

Heat New Member

Hi guys a newbie here, I have 2 questions
    Which file should I use for TS PC racer (high end or t300rs ?) it is around 5-6 NM but seems like
    High-end file with its recommended settings feels like FFB is almost does not exists
    I tried to use it with raceracerace's t300 seems it is ok but a little bit tough.

So bit confused about which file should I use and what settings do you recommend for it
    Thanks a lot.

14. Oka

Oka New Member

Hi @Stakanov, @Karsten Hvidberg

I performed some more tests regarding the self alignment issue near full lock and found some interesting results, I think it is fixable.

Stakanov, thanks for you last reply, your code disables the early lock stops effectively, but it does not solve the issue completely, as I found out later, it is not the main cause.

Karsten, last time you were suspicious about mechanical trail calculations and asked me to try the Easterfuktor file. I didn't disable the lock stops and tested it as is and the issue was still present. Now I disabled them and I can confirm it does not have the self aligning issue, BUT, self aligning does become slower and slower the more angle I have and the closer I get to the real lock-stop.

Here is a little summary about the issue and my results again, hopefully this provides enough information to fix it:
    -Car: Chevrolet Camaro (Street class). It has 900 degrees of lock (the wheel visually stops moving at 900 degrees in-game), but FFB lock stop activates at about 810 degrees (with both default and custom FFB).
    -Problem: when drifting with latest high-end file wheel self-alignment stops at about 720 degrees (before the 810 FFB lock stop and waaay before the 900 degrees true lock)
    Fix attempts:
    1. high-end file + ffb lock off = issue persists, self alignment stops at 720
    2. easterfuktor = issue persists, BUT, self aligning stops at 810 so it seems to be only the ffb lock stop causing the issue. Also, self aligning is only strong at center; it becomes weaker and slower as it gets close to 810.
    3. easterfuktor + ffb lock off = issue fixed, self aligning reaches 900 degrees, BUT it slows down and gets weaker at high angle, the same way as in test nr.2

I hope this explains it all, it seems to me that the strong self alignment of the high end file needs to be combined with the range of the easterfuktor file, and lock stops have to be disabled. Let me know if you need more information. If you want, I can make a video about it to better demonstrate.

15. Karsten Hvidberg

Thanks a bunch Oka,

We are precisely looking at this, so this is good information. I think I know what it might be and might have fixed it, not 100% sure yet.
    More testing required here.

-K

• Like Like x 1
  16. marc woolery

marc woolery New Member

Must we tweak ? if so where is the file ? thanks

17. tUMi

tUMi Active Member

Hello @Kuku Maddog ! I tested your Delta-X Tune V3 file today first time with a very high downforce car, the McLaren MP4/12, at Nordschleife.

I discovered that your Delta-X Tune V3 file works just as fine with this car as it does with the lower downforce GT cars I've tested earlier. Only necessary change was to lower the vehicle specific FFB for McLaren MP4/12, I lowered it from default 100% to 75%, no other in-game FFB settings changes were necessary so I'm still using the following AMS2 in-game FFB settings: 33 (gain) / 10 (LFB) / 28 (FX) / 15 (damping, a.k.a power steering strength in rFuktor).

Your Delta-X Tune V3 file helped me to achieve another world record in AMS2 Time Trial mode, this time on Nordschleife with McLaren MP4/12 (links to screenshots below). In my opinion this confirms that the changes you've made to this file are definitely doing it's magic. Good job! ;)

http://www.dropbox.com/s/xjupsl3zej...schleife_tumi_world_record_08-12-21.png?raw=1

http://www.dropbox.com/s/uesz7je8fy...leife_tumi_personal_record_08-12-21.png?raw=1

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@Kuku Maddog I lost track of your files somewhere along the way: When you get a chance, can you please repost the latest version (V3?) of your Delta Tune? For some reason, it's not letting me search your posts properly.

19. Kuku Maddog

Mate i’m struggling to keep up with stuff myself . ;) it’s that time of year …combined with Summer here.

so rather than have old files spread throughout the forum, i’ve made a archive that contains all the popular Delta options ( including older versions that needed Doms caster fix code amended into them. ) and the most recent Delta S mix and of course a up to date base rfuktor 4.6 .
    i
    All this is available in the clicky link in my Signature . which makes it easier for people to share etc too .

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Tumi

I recall some time ago you might have a TS PC racer wheel like I do

is my memory correct? Will try your settings this weekend if so

thanks