1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.3.1.1 & Racin´ USA Pt2 RELEASED - Now updated to V1.3.2.0

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Video by EmptyBox about the ChampCars, and, yeah, he's absolutely right

These cars need to be more challenging (meaning easier to spin, on power and especially on direction change) and also far, far slower (like, 5 seconds slower).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I would be careful with that. I also think, they're a bit overmodelled on soft tires BUT:

First things first, you compare modern tracks with old ones, when it comes to Long Beach (also different Layout in 1998) or Laguna Seca, for example.

1998 Pole lap on Cleveland for example was a 56.417, the ingame car has a TT hotlap of a 53.8 with optimal conditions and 5L of fuel and you already need to push, to get into the 55.000 range with the Reynard Honda. So it is too fast, but it's not quite as drastic, as you might expect.

In terms of more "challenging" i might ask the question: People always ask for safe default configs/setups and now they're set up to be quite safe and it will be asked after more "challenging" behaviour? Do you see the dilemma, we're facing here?

I'm not disagreeing with you or @Empty Box here fully, but the comparisons have to be made on a base that includes a bit more of surrounding factors and 5s is definetly not correct.

If you want them easier to spin on power, increase diff clutches and lower power ramp, lower rear wing and stiffen rear ARB.

(Regarding default setups, nothing is engraved in stone yet, but don't expect them to be mentally undrivable in the future, because they aren't :) )

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

Considering that the RL time was settled by a professional driver and the simulation's by amateurs, AMS2 still waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster that it should have.

4. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

For the first time in Sim Racing history, we have a downforce car that actually has some level of mechanical grip. A downforce car that isn't a twitchy, ungodly mess in any corner under 90MPH, and you want to take that away? Why? Just for the sake of making it harder and thus "more realistic?" If you make it much harder to drive, you're going to make it twitchy like Iracing's indycar, which is universally disliked by Indycar drivers.

Just like how "Rivet Counters" ruined model railroading, people chasing 100% accuracy (or more accurately, what they think is 100% accuracy) on sim racing games will eventually destroy this hobby.

And too be clear here, I think the issues your having are mostly setup and conditions related. These cars once you trim them out a little and put them on say a cold foggy morning come alive. Also long races are mandatory, Once you hit about 60% tire wear, the car handles much more loosely and almost feels like a sprint car. (As stupid as that might sound)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  5. CrimsonEminence

I don't argue, that they're faster, but they aren't that much faster, as you might think.
    Hyperbole will not lead us anywhere. Hitting a 55.0 at Cleveland still isn't EZ PZ done for everyone with these cars.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. CrimsonEminence

I also want to emphasize on the other hand that if they get slowed down more, it doesn't have to mean they're falling over a grip cliff. You can preserve handling characteristics and still have progressive tire handling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dylan Hale

I get that, I just don't want these cars being the twitchy messes we commonly see in sim racing. I have some faith Reiza can do it right given how good the F1 and Group C cars are, but honestly, I would rather have functioning pit stops and wet weather tires than worry about the soft tires being a tad too sticky

• Like Like x 2
  8. CrimsonEminence

I tested the behaviour right now again at Long Beach, because you guys make me doubt my sanity here! :D

(I know you are in the challenging enough camp, so just a general note here)

I significantly increased rear ARB, i use 6 diff clutches, 50° power ramp and more rake + less rear wing...the cars start to get significantly more spin turny. Increasing coast ramp and reducing preload also makes turn-in more friendly but be aware, that these changes can bite back, when being on worn tires.

It can even be faster around many tracks combined with softer regular suspension and slightly stiffer 3rd element suspension, tho.
    But it's no the case, that they aren't challenging to drive.

Ah and btw. a shorter final also helps, not only with acceleration, but also turning behaviour.

Are soft tires a bit too fast right now? My personal opinion is a yes, but i disagree that they're miles off...i still forward that matter.
    -------------

Pit stops, some questions:

What exactly is happening with your pit stops in detail?
    I read that the game hesists to change tires and that there is this pesky glitch with cars going out without visually existent tires so far. I wasn't able to reproduce reliably (except the non-tire change, that one i also get actually) so:

-are you using pit strategy options? (Because its default strat is not set to tire change right now)

-is it in race session?

-compounds in use/desired to change?

Would be helpful to summarize that again, i try to break the game with the info! :whistle:

• Like Like x 3
  9. Dylan Hale

So yes, I am using the pit strategies.

I solved the issue of tires not changing by selecting "yes" instead of "recommended". Apparently my crew chief thought my 70% shot to hell tires were good enough to last another fuel run.

As for the dissapearing tire issue, I'm playing in VR, with 2x fuel and tires, attempting to run 1/3rd length races based on CART Events. I have the option for all pit lane crews to be visible.

At Cleveland, I was running a long stint and a short stint, and after about 25-26ish lap run I came in for about 10ish laps worth of fuel and 4 tires.

The way this car is supposed to work, fuel and tires are supposed to be done at the same time, however in game they apparently do it sequentially. So after fuel goes in, they start to do the tire change and as soon as they take the wheels off the car, the game releases me and I was able to drive back onto the track with no tires on the car at all. The HUD showed the new tires were on, the pit stop timer just didn't give the crew guys enough time to finish the stop Animation without repairing damage.

My guess is the timer was set incorrectly because it took about 7 secs to add 10ish laps of fuel, and 1 to change the tires. Obviously not possible. If you just sit there and wait after they release you the tires will attach as normal.

As I ran simular length races at different tracks I noticed it happening more and more frequently to the point I realized I couldn't complete the season without getting the Jetson's hovercraft glitch at least once. I also noticed sometimes the tires would snap back onto the car halfway down the pitlane.

As for the DPI issue, I first noticed this in a YouTube video at multi-player Bathurst race where a AI car had the same glitch as me where it came back onto the track with no Left side tires. The rights were on, at least I think they were on. I started screwing with it myself however I couldn't get it to happen.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

All else being equal, it's way easier to do a fast lap time in a sim than in real life. No g-forces; no heat/exhaustion; no fear of damaging equipment; no fear of maiming or death, unlimited practise laps, etc...

If a sim car was identical performance to the real one, many, many people from the comfort of their homes could do an optimal lap time. In the real car, no so many, including those from the extremely small field of drivers who were professionally in the series at the time.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Someone on RD was wanting them to be more like the '99 VRC cars. I then fired up AC to try those out as I forget how they felt. Awful lol.

These were the best launched cars so far in AMS2. I think the only real complaint was about the UI values. The 2002 wasn't too bad either. I'm looking forward to the '95 cars! There is just something special about h-pattern open-wheelers that adds that hero element to the drivers.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dylan Hale

About 4 minutes in you can see the car with no wheels.

13. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This DLC sparked my interest in the CART series in general. I'm going through the entire '98 season currently and it's really great racing! I can't even begin to express my disappointment at the Jeddah race...

• Like Like x 2
  14. CrimsonEminence

Yes, i know how it looks, it's not reliably reproducible, though.

15. Dylan Hale

I can't wait for the ovals. Honestly, I'm praying we get more than 3 tracks because ovals are simpler to model. (Also Daytona and CART really don't work well together thematically)

Give me that US500 please!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dylan Hale

I'm not sure how to record in VR, however I'll try to get it to happen again tomorrow. Always up for a excuse to drive the cars some more!

17. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

I have been a little slow to get going on the new release--have to say that the AI have really gotten good, especially once I learned how to get them customized to suit the type of racing I want to have.

Until now have always kept AI races to around 15 cars as it was too crazy with more. Now I'm using all 30 slots (where there are enough liveries) and the racing is action-packed without being nutso.

Nicely done Reiza!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. GJDriessen

GJDriessen Member

Indeed, please keep these 'easier' and 'driveable' default setups! Perhaps Reiza can take inspiration from ACC/Codemasters F1 games and offer 2 or even 3 default setups per car.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. cpcdem

cpcdem Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Talking about online only (pitstops in offline mode work much better), I haven't done more than a couple races with pitstops in AMS2, but since almost all the online related AMS2 bugs I have seen have been "ported" from PCARS2, those are the main problems in it that most likely also exist in AMS2:

- You choose a strategy before the race, but if you check the active strategy with the ICM while racing, you see that usually there's another strategy selected, this is the source of many "pitcrew did a different thing to what I asked it" problems. You need to make sure with the ICM that the intended strategy is indeed selected.

- Even so, many times you check the details of your strategy with the ICM and realize it has different details to what you had adjusted before the race. Need to always check those as well, before making a pitstop. I think the problem often has to do with having created 10 or close to 10 strategies, the system seems to often go berserk when you have done that.

- And still, after making sure that everybody is selected and set correctly in the ICM, some (very few) times, the crew still doesn't do as instructed, refuels while you have asked them not to, doesn't fix damage that you have asked it to and things like that. Unfortunately this one is indeed very difficult to reproduce and I have not found myself some pattern on when it is happening.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. RNoctua

RNoctua New Member

With tyre options (dry weather) - what tyres does AI use?