1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Marcin

Marcin Member

2. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

100%

Less shaking, def. use somewhat lower fx in game makes sense.
    Inertia delays the ffb signal, however. So for example directional pull, like for oversteer, happens later. It makes it harder to stay on the track on cornering. It might help save some ffb signals, but should not be required with the rFuktor files. But if you like it, then you should use it regardless, I agree.

If you want more force, is it everywhere or more in the center or on cornering?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  3. Karsten Hvidberg

The last one, v5, just posted yesterday.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Panos Schoino

Panos Schoino New Member

Similar to @Karsten Hvidberg , just torque bandwidth at 2200.
    I think your issue might be the tearing/scrub. Try decreasing these scales in the file. Also bump up gain and lfb to see if that helps.
    As @Karsten Hvidberg said already, there is really no need to add friction/inertial/damping in dd bases and especially in lower/mid tier wheels. If you need damping, play with the ingame slider.

5. Racer25

Racer25 New Member

I did some laps at VIR with Swift Indycar with v5. It's interesting because I still prefer the overall car feel of Gunner's tune, but with v5 I was able to do better laptimes more easily. It was easier to feel low speed grip and turn the car accurately with v5. It'll be fun to see how it works on other cars and tracks.

One weird behavior I did notice. At high speed through VIR's esses the steering would have a weird "break" sensation. I would steer through the corners and the wheel would feel like it was snapping between almost no FFB and very high FFB. With v4 tunes the car would feel more constantly loaded like you would expect from high aero and mechanical compression through that type of corner.

For v5 I see that you have changed damping to its regular setting. I completely understand why this is done to match the UI. I think you actually had a very good concept utilizing it for power steering. Power steering is easier for most of us to understand than damping. If the steering is too raw and heavy add more, too light and vague, lower it. Maybe in the future Reiza can add menu options for both.

Thank you for all the hard work on these custom files. They make a good sim even better.

6. Mathias[NuoSimulation]

Mathias[NuoSimulation] New Member

yes, i like more back pressure in the centre and also when cornering. but if you drive with more power there, the other forces are also correspondingly high. the forces then become too strong. i have reduced texture scale from 0.9 to 0.6. that has already helped.
    But i am still undecided which custom i will use in the future :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

I think there are exceptions here. Even with the game Damping at 100% (Default+), I still added about 8% Friction / 12% Damping, in order to get steering characteristics, I prefer. Of course, different bases will require different settings but, player preference varies quite a lot, too.

My settings do require that the FX are coming through strong, though. It is possible to have steering behavior that better emulates a real car's steering mass & friction but also transmits a good amount of detail.

8. Karsten Hvidberg

Yeah, it's a good point reg. damping.
    I will post a version with the power steering too, I think.

But what damping value should be the default in the file?
    0%, 20%, 30%?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Karsten Hvidberg

Right, I agree. My comment was in relation to the custom file only. And only my own pov for sure, although it did not quite come out like that :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Panos Schoino

Panos Schoino New Member

With the default, or default+ i would definitely go with higher amounts from what you are saying. The custom files however have been tuned without any of these additional filters. Simply these are included and adjusted within the file code. So it is our advice to use the recommended settings as based on these the file was developed. Thereafter if anybody feels the need to add filters or change scales, that is perfectly fine. There is no right or wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  11. tUMi

tUMi Active Member

I've been spending several hours today testing the new rFuktor file that was released yesterday. At this point it's safe to say that for me the rFuktor 5.0 is the new gold standard of FFB in AMS2. :)

Coming from the rFuktor 4.6 Delta-S Tune by @Kuku Maddog (tweaked by @Alegunner68 ) I really like the informative and detailed feel of the rFuktor 5.0, the FFB on my SC2 Sport wheelbase has never felt so raw and pure before in AMS2. In overall the FFB feels refined and balanced, the weight of the wheel does also fit well to my personal preference, not too light but also not too heavy.

It's definitely clear that rFuktor 5.0 is a significant step forward from the original rFuktor 4.6 and also from all it's variants (such as Kuku's Delta-X/Delta-S Tunes) I've tested so far. The tyre scrub in rFuktor 5.0 is very well implemented in my opinion, also the understeer/oversteer feel and the feel of the car's weight transfer were clearly felt which definitely helps when driving records in leaderboards.

My AMS2 in-game FFB settings are listed below.

For lower downforce cars (GTE/GT1 class, for example):

Gain: 37
    Low force boost: 11
    FX: 30
    Damping: 0

For higher downforce cars (such as the McLaren MP4/12):

Gain: 32
    Low force boost: 8
    FX: 25
    Damping: 0

True Drive settings I'm using are identical to @Panos Schoino 's True Drive settings.

However, comparing to my previously used file (rFuktor 4.6 Delta-S Tune by Kuku and tweaked by Alegunner) I am more frequently getting some pretty heavy jolts through my wheel at certain bumpy sections of Nordschleife when driving there with high downforce cars such as the McLaren MP4/12. For this car I adjusted the vehicle specific FFB gain setting to 50% and cannot set it lower than that (game's limitation). I was getting those heavy jolts even before rFuktor 5.0 but now these jolts can be felt even more frequently and stronger than before. So, is turning down the Gain and FX the only way to reduce the strenght of those jolts caused by the bumpy sections of Leife track or is this something that can be easily altered from the file directly?

So, definitely no going back to rFuktor 4.6 for me at least. :) I even re-tested the previous file I was using and then dropped the rFuktor 5.0 file back in and for me the rFuktor 5.0 is definitely superior over any old version, no doubt.

Thank you @Karsten Hvidberg , @Panos Schoino and @Shadak for all your hard work with the rFuktor 5.0, looking forward to test the upcoming versions for more improvements. ;)

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Marcin

Marcin Member

Can you post your TD settings please?

13. Karsten Hvidberg

Hey tUMi,

You won't have to wait long, at least for a minor tweak.
    Here is changed:

* Slightly less jolty.
    * Damping slider controls all dampeners. I missed one in the earlier file. You might want to use just a little damping.

Best,

-K

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Manolo

Manolo Member

Hi @Karsten Hvidberg, welcome back and thanks for new file.
    The first sensation of 5.0.1 is ok, but this note under indicated is not fixing with wheel Logitech, you can try a test again with high gain (100-70) and high lfb (80-50)?
    The jolt is strong with this values. o_O

* Removed trail stuff, so no issues on Monza 10k etc.

EDIT: the jolt is especially violent in Formula cars (for example V10 Gen 1-2 and Ultimate) ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Mathias[NuoSimulation]

Mathias[NuoSimulation] New Member

a little less is an understatement. much better for my wrists :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. bandqit

bandqit Active Member

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. Karsten Hvidberg

Hey Manolo,

I didn't even test that exact thing, so thanks for heads up :)
    Only removed the use of trail information that I know leads to big issues there, so prob. the mesh on the track, as pointed out by @Kuku Maddog is also to blame.

I will give it a look one of the next days,

Best,

-K

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Hi All

i haven’t had much of a chance to try out new rfuktor 5.0
    and generally am a little unsure if i want to go down another rabbit hole .

But in the first few laps with the cart i felt that the big bumps were a little solid feeling on my wheel. and i was initially missing tgat trail feel i’ve got so accustomed too.

But briefly test this morning, i applied a little smoothing to m_front load norm and and a little more texture scale and tried a Gt3 and it felt better.

The oversteer and the relationship around the axis of slip felt much better than 4.6 .

will hopefully get some time this weekend to explore more, but also i’m happy to sit back and see what comes with minor patches after feedback is shared to Karsten by others.

Looks good though.

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. newtonpg

newtonpg Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@Karsten Hvidberg

Thank you!

rFuktor 5.0 was superb, only surpassed by rFuktor 5.0.1 witch is perfect to my likings.

TM CP = Default (strict sense)
    ingame = 100/60/36/0

• Like Like x 2
  20. Karsten Hvidberg

Hey Kuku,

First of all, thank you for all your work tuning and modding the files. I am honestly humbled that you guys have done that and for quite a while. Extremely valuable to everybody with various bases and tastes.

Good information that somebody actually cares for the trail stuff, I might add it back in, in that case.
    What did you feel it added?

Best,

-K

• Friendly Friendly x 2