1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Cars 4

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by reptilexcq, Dec 16, 2021.

1. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Active Member

When it is released, will Reiza once again use its engine? Hmmmm. I would hope so because I heard Project Cars 4 is going to have sick looking graphics. All Reiza need to do is crack it open and implement its own physics and FFB lol. But then again, the Mad Engine is now owned by EA....so I don't know.

2. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

While I hope there will be a PC4 at some point, I can't see EA thinking it makes sense to maintain two engines that do the same thing (more or less). There is no way that Codemasters weren't working on EGO2 (or whatever it might be called) and with the direction PC3 went...it makes sense to compare it directly to Grid Legends. EGO2 will probably launch with their first WRC game (2023 right?) and the F1 game too.

If Grid Legends sells better than PC3, which is probably will...there isn't a point in a PC4 which is like PC3. So do they keep Madness as their hardcore sim engine or do they shelve it and re-distribute those personnel to other projects? EA didn't buy Codemasters because of SMS (most likely the F1 and WRC licenses, along with the Dirt and Grid franchises), so from a pure money perspective it doesn't look good.

3. IamDom.

IamDom. Member

Ye be a doddle, just use the engine and add physics and ffb.

Easy

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Periophtalmus Spintirus

Periophtalmus Spintirus [3DP]BumbleBee AMS2 Club Member

Not quite SO easy (as you see now with AMS2)

5. IamDom.

IamDom. Member

My post was 100% sarcasm...

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Periophtalmus Spintirus

Sorry mate, no native english speaker so probably missed that *lol*

• Like Like x 1
  7. IamDom.

IamDom. Member

No worries my friend :)

8. SuperMonaco_GP

SuperMonaco_GP Active Member

mr. Bell left SMS, no more PCars I guess, maybe for the better.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Over on the PC2 forum I once (slightly tongue in cheek) invited Ian Bell to come and join AMS2 and inject a ****load of his EA cash into the project so it could see his original cunning plan come to life in a new way, but I think his interests lie elsewhere currently, helping people with mental health problems. I'm sure he's pleased with what Renato and the team have done with his baby though.
    I know some don't care for his manner, but don't forget none of what we are enjoying in AMS2 would have been possible without Ian Bell's generosity towards Reiza with the engine. Hard to imagine EA doing the same.
    Although who currently actually has the rights to the Madness Engine is an interesting topic. You'd guess EA I suppose.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Which is why I'm glad Reiza has full source code access (I think that was mentioned somewhere in the forum by Renato). They should be able to keep this going for as long as they want to.

As for EA...now that I think about it, I would find it very difficult for someone at SMS to persuade them to let the series swing back to the simulation direction. They went the PC3 route since PC2 didn't sell as well as they had hoped. I think they even said the whole team was behind the decision (though I'm sure everyone that didn't agree left).

How much better would PC3 have sold if it was called Shift 3 (and how much less hate would it have received)? I can totally see EA reviving the Shift series and would not be surprised to see NFS Shift 3: Revolution coming out in 2023 (keeping Grid and Shift separated by 1 year).

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Oh yes, I think there's plenty of life left in the Madness engine yet.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Periophtalmus Spintirus

And i'm sure Reiza is able to awaken this live!

• Like Like x 1
  13. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Slightly off topic:
    Honestly I really think Project Cars3 was a marketing naming blunder on SMS's part. If they called it Project Cars Shift or Project Cars Horizon, anything but Project Cars 3, many Project Cars fan would buy a copy to try it and support the Project Cars franchise. But by calling it Project Cars 3 they angered the sim community who felt betrayed by SMS. Funny what effect just the title of the game can have on it's sales and the fan base. I think Ian and SMS realized the blunder a little too late and now it's going to take more effort to bring the community back.

I, for one, hope that Project Cars 4 does come out and fixes all the issues that Project Cars 2 had while improving it in a few areas. To this day I find Project Cars 2 to be a hidden gem of a game that impresses me with all the attention to detail. Perhaps along the way SMS can learn a few lessons from Reiza with their implementation of AMS2.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just a question, if SMS gave Reiza the source code before they got bought out by EA, does that mean AMS 3 (or the next Reiza driving game) can freely use the madness engine without EA coming after them, or would they still have to seek EA's blessing? Or would they have to reverse engineer it like they did with the Rfactor 1 engine?
    This is almost turning into a real live version of Metal Gear meets The Godfather.

"Snake, brake into EA's HQ and steal the code. You have to do this for me Snake..."
    "Colonel why is there a horse's head in my car?"

• Like Like x 1
  15. IamDom.

IamDom. Member

Either way you have to build the game, an engine is just an engine you don't get the game with it that's EAs IP.

I doubt you even get a car with the game engine, everything has to be built from scratch, using the engine.

16. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The one thing that scares me about Ian Bell's departure and the possible dismantling of SMS is that EA might pull the Madness Engine license or at least stop any asset sharing deals with Reiza. That would potentially slow down AMS2 development greatly.

17. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't think so. Past deals are honored and Reiza probably does not need any new asset from SMS at this point. What might be uncertain is if Reiza wanted to upgrade to a newer version of the Madness Engine in the (far) future, with a new deal. But I am quite confident there's a good deal of respect and understanding between SMS, Codemasters, EA and Reiza (and vice-versa) as they are all game developers in the end and know how hard it is to make a modern game (sim).

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. Nats

Nats Member

They are all rivals in a cut-throat world so I wouldn't bet on anything. PCars4 might be great and it might not, I am not holding my breath.

19. BartZ

BartZ Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Judging by the arcade nature on PC3 and SMS's relentless defending of their decisions I wouldn't expect greatness from PC4 if it were ever to see a light of day. Anyway, the current owners have other fish to fry so I doubt we'll ever see PC4. They'll just carry on making an F1 game year after year like they have been. Straight console port with little changes from one edition to the next. Would be great though if they decided to make another PC and follow the "old recipe"!

As for AM3 and the engine - if EA can get a pound of flash, they will. And if they can't it probably won't stop them from trying ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

I think the best thing to come out of a Pcars4 development would be some possible further enhancements to the Madness Engine. Otherwise, my expectations would be very low from a Simulation perspective. SMS already visited "Sim-territory" for a time, and I doubt they care to ever go back again.

• Agree Agree x 1