1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Hey @Manolo ,

First, thank you for the good news and greetings from @Stakanov!

Second: How high gain & lfb are we talking about?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

Hi Karsten, great to have you back :)

I'm testing the latest rFuktor file now, and it feels great, but there's something very weird going on with damping and oscillations on my DD1...

I changed the file to let damping be adjusted by the slider to more easily experiment. I started with damping at 30, and had quite a bit of oscillations as soon as I let go of the wheel. Just to test I turned damping to 100, and oscillations were now extremely violent. Quite puzzled I turned damping to 0, and to my amazement all the oscillations were gone!

So at least on my setup the in-game damping seems to work opposite of what I expected. Very strange...

• Informative Informative x 3
  3. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

@tUMi
    Im inclined to agree that it feels better with static Damping set to 0.0
    it also seems to reduce some notchy feeling i was getting with the JCW mini, with lots of torque coming on and off while turning at same time with the front drive.

Ive decided i like the steer_pull without the power steering Blend , as it more direct feeling.

#(steer_pull (* 12 (/ 1.5 master_rack) (blend power_steering 1.2 0.8) steer_pull grip_feel_front (* (/ 1 8) (+ FL_def FR_def 5))))
    (steer_pull (* 12 (/ 1.5 master_rack) steer_pull grip_feel_front (* (/ 1 8) (+ FL_def FR_def 5))))

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. tUMi

tUMi Active Member

Hey Kuku,

I also think that it is propably better to leave the static Damping set to 0.0. I'm willing to believe that most people who are using a DD wheelbase will prefer it this way. :)

I really liked (and still do) your previous modified rFuktor 5.0.2 file with especially the McLaren MP4/12 on Nordschleife. Thanks to the changes you've done especially in smoothing department, the file felt really well balanced with that car and track combination. Also the bumps of the track felt softer to my hands (which I liked a lot) and the sharp jolts on big bumps I was constantly getting with the original versions felt a lot smoother also.

However, earlier this afternoon I continued with my experiments on your previous modified rFuktor 5.0.2 file and tested it with the Corvette C8R GTE car on Laguna Seca which is a mid downforce car on a pretty flat surfaced track. I was kind of struggling with that track and car combination, I couldn't adjust the FFB to feel as good as it did with the original rFuktor 5.0.4/5.0.2/5.0.1 for example...

The problem was for me that everything on my wheelbase felt just a bit too flat and numb. You know, the scrub/tear... practically everything, not enough road detail. The weight of the wheel felt pretty good, though. I even tried to increase the Gain/LFB and the feel did got a bit better after increasing those but still I wasn't 100% satisfied with the end result. I'm aware that Laguna Seca has a quite flat track surface and the C8R GTE may not have the best FFB ever in a history of AMS2 car collection but still the experience with that car and track combination using your modified file wasn't on the same level I had with the McLaren MP4/12 on Nordschleife.

Anyway, thank you for uploading the rFuktor 5.0.2K. I will definitely test it tomorrow (it's getting late here for today) and hopefully it will feel better on tracks with smooth surface on lower downforce cars. :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

@Kuku Maddog
    Nice work on v5.0.4. I like the calmed bump effects but, not sure about the scrub & tear.

I'll try a few changes with v5.0.2 and see how that works out but, thank you and @Karsten Hvidberg for sharing your work and knowledge with us. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kuku Maddog

there’s certainly a lot of variation in tyres and cars in ams2 and it’s sometimes just the way that car is.
    generally most can be put in a sweet spot with plus or minus of FX and Lfb .
    some cars have very pronounced tyre rumbling and some have hardly any. Some have very sensitive scrub and tear and others just seem hard to find the limit.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. chonk

chonk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

This is so true, the difference in ffb from one car to another can be really substantial. When I first tried v5 I was in the caterham and everything felt very smoothed out in comparison to 4.6 I spent a long time adjusting my settings trying to get some more pronounced feedback out of it. In the end the result wasn't bad at all the car was extremely drivable, but I thought I would experience the same muted feeling across all cars. Couldn't have been more wrong, jumped in the C9 and the ffb really came alive so easy to tell what's happening at the tire as grip comes and goes or momentarily losing contact with the track surface. Certainly from class to class at least there's great variation.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Racer25

Racer25 New Member

I've noticed the same thing even amongst different formula cars. Drove the '98 Swift at Suzuka and the FFB was the best I've felt in a racing sim. I switched to the 1991 Benetton on the same track and the FFB was very numb by comparison with the same settings. It wasn't bad, it just didn't have that next level of information and immersion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Reiza giving us FFB in game slider key bidding and per car save would help a lot here

• Like Like x 1
  10. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't understand why Reiza doesn't create an advanced section of FFB and expose all the parameters you can find in the latest custom FFB files, like scrub, bump, micro bumps, levels, frequency, scale, etc... instead of cramming them all under "FX". Using a custom FFB file is great, but it's not for everyone. Having it in the UI, would be fantastic with the ability to save custom presets (soft, hard, openwheeler, etc...)

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

RRE moved away from this many canned effect FFB options few months back and people complained as well

to be fair there is a tool existing to adjust FFB parameters but yes it’s in Windows not in Game

12. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Simple. The more options developers give users to adjust and tune ffb, the more complaints and the harder to trouble-shoot / diagnose issues. It's got to be a nightmare from a tech-support perspective.

I agree though, I'd love to have access to more settings in the UI. I'm one of the few people that actually likes SimCommander's vast range of tuning options, most others despise the complexity.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. WarmRed

WarmRed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Where do you actually find the default+ FFB file in AMS2. I would like to change this only slightly and store it as a custom file.

14. Kuku Maddog

Short answer, you don’t :oops:

15. Manolo

Manolo Member

I aligned myself on the values of Peter, Gain 90-95, LFB 10-30 FX 50 DP 15.

EDIT: Test sometimes even high LFBs up to 80 and it is not so bad indeed in some ways everything is better except the central oscillation that returns, but it is not without control, exponential and increasing as before the 5.xxx file, it arrives, it is small and decided from right to left and stays there until you grab the steering wheel ... but regardless of the LFB regarding the effects, especially the scrub and curbs seem muffled and covered by the remaining forces!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
  16. Kuku Maddog

I’m starting to wonder if there’s better consistency between cars if damping put back to 0.3
    Need to play around some more, and might revisit original rFuktor 5.0 version to test that out armed with better understanding.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I just read this over on the beta forum. I haven’t tested it yet, but thought it ought to be shared…

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. WarmRed

WarmRed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

and this is how his problem has manifested... actually like me...o_O

19. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Try increasing positive caster in the setup, it makes a lot of the older F1 cars feel much more connected with the road.

20. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree, but that's why I suggested an "advanced" tab or button that expose the hidden settings for those of us who love to tinker with all the options and keep them hidden for those who don't.