1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. tUMi

tUMi Active Member

@Kuku Maddog

I did some quick testing today with your new modified rFuktor (5.0.2K as you call it in the file's description) version you uploaded yesterday.

I loaded up the new 5.0.2K and first I selected Nordschleife with the McLaren MP4/12. I didn't make any changes to my in-game FFB settings I used with your earlier modified 5.0.2 file, they were still at 30/5/30/35. I am pleased to tell you that everything still felt as great as with your earlier file with this car/track combo. The FFB does seem to feel even more direct now, which I like. Also the scrub and tear still felt good, I would say even improved from your previous modified 5.0.2 file. :)

Then again I selected Laguna Seca with the Corvette C8R GTE car. This was a car/track combo I was struggling with your previous modified 5.0.2 file. I started testing this car/track combo with the exact same in-game FFB settings (30/5/30/35) that proved successful with the McLaren MP4/12 earlier so I thought these settings would be a good baseline to start with the C8R GTE car.

I was pleasantly surprised how good the C8R felt from the very first corners. The FFB felt more direct, informative and detailed than earlier with your previous modified 5.0.2 file with any in-game FFB settings I tried with it. With your previous modified 5.0.2 file it felt just flat and dull.

Then I started fine tuning the FFB settings for this car and ended up with the in-game settings of 33/10/35/35. Now the C8R feels absolutely amazing, everything is in balance, I'm absolutely astonished by it. Difference was like night and day especially in the scrub and tear department.

I think increasing the LFB and especially the FX were both key ingredients to fine tune the feel of the C8R from good to excellent. However, the new 5.0.2K was the main ingredient in all this, it really transformed this car to something I'm now enjoying very much. Brilliant work, Kuku! :)

@Karsten Hvidberg To answer your question you asked me earlier... I think that I prefer the way the scrub, tear and smoothing is set up in Kuku's latest modified 5.0.2 version (also known as version 5.0.2K). :)

This time I didn't fiddle with the static damping setting, I kept it at 0.0 as it is in your 5.0.2K version by default. I might do some experiments of my own later on with the static damping setting. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Mathias[NuoSimulation]

Mathias[NuoSimulation] New Member

it would be great to have the ffb settings in the setup menu. and then you can either use the global settings or the settings for the specific car. that would be great.

3. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

^^^ You can put any car/track specific settings in the set up description section, so when you load the set up the specific settings are there. I used to do this, but now the file is so good, I find the only thing I need to adjust on a per car basis is the level, done with the plus and minus keys in game.

4. Marcin

Marcin Member

Hi Can you post the @Kuku Maddog custom file and settings you are using in TD and AMS2? Thx.

5. tUMi

tUMi Active Member

Hey there. ;)

Here's a direct link to Kuku's modified rFuktor 5.0.2K custom file (static damping is set to 0.0 as default in the file, you can easily edit the damping value yourself from the file directly if you need any damping): https://forum.reizastudios.com/attachments/ffb_custom_settings-txt.18619/

Link to screenshots of my True Drive settings (you can also look for my online profile called "AMS2 Silver Raw rFuktor 5.0.2K SC2 Sport" in True Drive Paddock for easier access to my TD settings):

http://www.dropbox.com/s/xumclzn16w..._15-08-21_ffb_settings_true_drive_1.png?raw=1

http://www.dropbox.com/s/4afnwkscb5..._15-08-21_ffb_settings_true_drive_2.png?raw=1

http://www.dropbox.com/s/wna5ieajl6..._15-08-21_ffb_settings_true_drive_3.png?raw=1

http://www.dropbox.com/s/8ird2y2pss..._15-08-21_ffb_settings_true_drive_4.png?raw=1

My AMS2 in-game FFB settings for lower downforce cars (such as the GTE/GT1 cars):

Gain: 33
    LFB: 10
    FX: 35
    Damping (power steering): 35

My AMS2 in-game FFB settings for higher downforce cars (such as the McLaren MP4/12 and other open-wheel cars):

Gain: 30
    LFB: 5
    FX: 30
    Damping (power steering): 35

Remember: you can decrease the vehicle specific FFB gain from the vehicle tuning setup menu if the FFB feels too strong for the car you're driving (and vice versa) rather than adjusting the Gain/LFB/FX values for each car individually (but you can also go for that route if you prefer that)! For example, for McLaren MP4/12 I have kept the vehicle specific FFB gain at 100% but set it to your own preference per car if necessary.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Marcin

Marcin Member

Thank you....i will have a look the online profile. Do you think i need to adjust any settings as I'm using SC2 pro?

7. Racer25

Racer25 New Member

That's a good idea, unfortunately many cars are already maxed out on caster with the default setting.

It's weird how certain cars, even in different categories feel great, yet others so numb. I drove the Lola Champcar, the P3 open cockpit and the GT1 Mclaren and they all felt responsive and provided great feedback. The Group C Sauber felt disconnected almost wobbly and the GTE Corvette was drivable, but not informative.

8. tUMi

tUMi Active Member

As far as I know, my True Drive settings (or my online profile) will work fine for the SC2 Pro (I got these settings from @Karsten Hvidberg and @Panos Schoino who are both using the SC2 Pro).

You may need to lower the Gain (or the vehicle specific FFB Gain from the car tuning setup menu as an alternative method) from AMS2 in-game FFB settings as you are using more powerful wheelbase than I am. You may also have to increase or decrease the LFB and/or the FX just a little to find a sweet spot for the cars you're driving.

So, you may have to do some small adjustments for the AMS2 in-game FFB settings (depends heavily on a car you're driving as the FFB feel can vary greatly between different cars) but other than that, all the settings I have posted here should work just fine for the SC2 Pro as well. :)

9. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, I've suggested the same approach however, perhaps it would still place extra burden on developers, as access would be too easy. The way it is now, we have to jump through some hoops to tweak the settings but, that also eliminates more headaches for the dev team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Marcin

Marcin Member

Thanks for explaining. Is there any way to reduce engine vibration?

11. chonk

chonk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

This is really odd because for me the C9 is one of (if not the) most informative of all the cars i've tried with v5. I don't really drive the open wheelers at all, so I may be missing something there. But the C9 gives me really detailed feedback. Obviously the car squirms around more than pretty much any other and the throttle is hyper sensitive especially on boost in 2nd, but even with all that going on I can feel the grip come and go more very well. I do adjust strength on a per car basis though. For example I have gain at 80 and in something like the Superlight I can push this up quite a bit before experiencing meaningful clipping. However with let's say the DPi or P1's I have to adjust this down to maybe 60 or even 55 to avoid clipping in high speed turns. This I find makes a huge difference to the level of detail I experience at the wheel, although often having to sacrifice the over all weight I would prefer to have.

12. Racer25

Racer25 New Member

I should've been more specific with my description of the C9. The power-on oversteer I can feel, but the front end has no precise feeling to it. I tried upping gain on FFB , but that just made it heavier with more shake.

It's interesting that you mention turning P1 and DPi down. On my setup the P1's have good feel, but are very light in comparison to the GT1 and Champcars. I actually added gain and a little FX to the P1. I've got overall gain between 30-34 depending on car and FX 33-35. I'll have to try more LFB and play around with power steering settings some more.

13. chonk

chonk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes what I found with the P1s and DPi's are that they feel lighter than expected at a given gain but that at that level, even while feeling lighter, they are clipping more than you would expect. Keep an eye on the ffb tool while you dial them in, Spa and Suzuka are great for this.

I also found the C9 to be similar in this respect, it's clipping more than you would expect at a given level of ffb. But for me again with the C9 I have a really good sense of what front end is doing. It's one of my favourites.

Also as was pointed out to be my some other members here, that steering in the real car is lighter than expected, due to castor angles, mechanical trail and other vehicled dynamic type things I don't really understand. :D

14. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Experimental file,

In case somebody feels like wasting their time :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 12
  15. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

A few laps around the Nordschleife in a 911 GTE is never a waste of time :)
    5.0.5 feels very nice, my favorite among the v5 files so far! I could always feel what the car was doing, and could push really really hard. I was close to setting a new personal lap record, and that's pretty impressive after the latest patches that have slowed the cars a couple of seconds.

Now that I have finally sorted my oscillation problems I can really enjoy the game and the FFB again :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. tUMi

tUMi Active Member

Decreasing the FX will reduce the engine vibration but at the same time it will also reduce the other FX functions as well which may not be ideal solution.

I think the only way to reduce the engine vibration seperately is to edit a correct line and value inside the file. I think @Kuku Maddog or @Karsten Hvidberg can help you better with this issue.

17. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Feels like reduced bump scale, Power-steering mode, aggressive ramp of cornering forces. Interesting. ;)

18. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Good day to everyone, after a small service, an overhaul of the engine parts, a fluid change and finally after a wonderful final internal wash, here I am again to disturb the peace of DD users :p with my very cheap and indestructible G920 (I hope to be indestructible too but that's another long story :().
    For now i am happy to read again all of you!!! :)

I tried the new and fantastic files from version 5.0 onwards this morning, what to say about them, wonderful files and as always you take a step or better in this case a leap forward, so let me say WELLCOME BACK to @Karsten Hvidberg & Co.

I did a very fast test this morning and I must say that on Logitech (and I think on all low-end steering wheels) the file works great and conveys beautiful sensations even with the use of high GAIN, but on condition of using low values of LFB and low FX values ... even the repeated jolts on the Monza 10k concrete benches have almost completely disappeared except on the most powerful formula cars and especially if high LFB and FX are used.
    Since for now 2,5Nm of torque power of my G920 I feel them as if they were 40Nm (and after 5 minutes I'm exhausted) I do not publish files tuned by me also because the changes would be practically negligible compared to the original, so I recommend for the base Logitech to safely use the original file or that of @Peter Stefani and set the sliders on the levels already highlighted by others for the low-end Gain 85-95 LFB 10-20 FX 30-50 DP 10-20 and modify the very few effects that as usual they want to emphasize. ;)

Later, however, always if applicable to this last 5.0.5, I would need you to test an experiment that I had left pending :whistle: .... possibly I would need confirmation and feedback from Logitech users or rather low-end users.

Great job guys!

EDIT: @Manolo thanks for everything you know why .....:)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    • Friendly Friendly x 7
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  19. tUMi

tUMi Active Member

Welcome back @Stakanov :) and also your indestructible G920. :p Hopefully you are feeling better now.

I will test the latest 5.0.5 version later this afternoon, it will be interesting to see how this version feels after @Kuku Maddog 's excellent modified 5.0.2K file.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That's a shame. The default file now feels sloppy and too vague on my G29 as the SAT is not strong enough compared to your old tunes. Given that the custom FFB files are still causing increased CPU load that is now bad enough to cause the slow-mo bug for me, I guess I'm going back to default FFB until something gets fixed.