1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's talk PC builds!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2ndLastJedi, Dec 18, 2021.

1. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Interesting story - I've got all the bits ready, but I was planning on doing a clean Win11 install to make full use of the big and little cores (apparently Win 10 just assigns them randomly so you might not get full performance), however, they don't seem to have got WMR working very well yet on Win 11, so if I go that way I'll have to do without VR until they fix it.
    Second thing is that air cooling solutions are scarce and yet to catch up with the socket 1700, so you need an upgrade kit and guess what, many are sold out. I've managed to get one for my dark rock pro, but as I'm doing a hybrid build with many of the bits in my current rig it's in use. I was planning to just get a cheap air cooler to get the barebones of the new PC up and running, then do the big swap into my existing case, but that looks like a no go.
    So I'm faced with currently having the 7700K as a fully working very useable machine, but making the leap to a faster one without VR. It's the price of adopting on day one, but then I took a gamble that there might be possible supply issues with the 12th gen like there has been with graphics cards/PS5s etc.
    I got my RTX 3080 on day 1 and paid rrp for it, so sometimes it's worth jumping on new stuff, sometimes not. I think I'll have some time over christmas to jump to the new build - so fingers crossed. MS are bound to fix WMR soon, so I might need to have a VR holiday for a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Oh ****!
    Maxed at 5760x1080 MSAA High :eek: and i now have G-Sync active in surround :D
    20211221163538_1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
  3. 2ndLastJedi

Weirdly, even as the same setting as I ran on my 1080ti this looks better, not sure why but it is much cleaner on the RTX card than the GTX one.
    20211221_144516.jpg 20211221_144342.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. 2ndLastJedi

Temps are a bit high but it is about 35c here today and my ac died on the 15th, I probably should have fixed that instead of getting this 3080 but ....you know.

• Like Like x 1
  5. chonk

chonk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Congrats dude! Very happy for you, it's always money well spent when it's something you're really into as long as we're not putting ourselves to deep in the hole for it. Anyway with shortages looking to continue well into (if not throughout) next year it likely hold its value pretty well. Enjoy.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. 2ndLastJedi

Thanks mate, really is an amazing upgrade, better than I hoped. G-Sync just works amazingly even in surround, even on the lower settings I was running it looks better, I think it's the higher frame rate creating a cleaner image.
    Playing around a bit I've lowered MSAA to medium and the second reflections to high and getting 115 fps comfortably at LongBeach were I was getting dips just below 60 previously.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah my 3090 runs significantly hotter than my 1080ti did. I undervolted the 3090 pretty early on because of temps and I have a big good airflow case. The undervolting dropped temps by 10 - 15° and gave me higher scores in 3d mark.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 2ndLastJedi

Yeah i just undervolted to 1900MHz @ 0.900mV,, pretty much the same as my 1080Ti. I can go lower it seems but just to start that will do.

9. F1Aussie

Mine is .894 and either 1935 or 1950mhz, so you may have a bit more room to move

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Don't forget to play minecraft from now on with your 3080, lol.
    Like this child back then.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. 2ndLastJedi

1950@0.850 gives me a nice score in Time Spy and reduced temps to 67c. I've made a few presents in MSI AB and will test them in game to find the one i will use. Ranging from 1750@0.800 to 2000@0.950.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 2ndLastJedi

If that was what I was in to I'm sure I'd be happy. Lucky little guy for sure. Best my kids have is a 1650 laptop, youngest two are using Vega graphics but they only play Roblox and watch YT.

I now have my 1080ti in a box but I have 3 kids and making a desktop to share would just end in drama's.

13. 2ndLastJedi

Man im just so in love with 120+ G-Sync! I hope i never get used to this :D

14. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

I run a Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti in a stock gaming PC and I have yet to find a game that can't be run maxed out at 4k and 144hz.

But... I preordered and prepayed that new PC in June. Delivery was right now in December.
    As it looks right now, hardware will be even harder to come by in 2022, not only for gaming purposes.

Currently not even decent keyboards are in stock as it seems. Basically everything with "made in Taiwan/China" on it that is not the cheapest crap, is hard to come by currently.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  15. chonk

Not sure if it has triples support but if it does and you own it already you should try maxxed out BeamNG with reshade and Marty McFly's RTGI shader. It actually looks amazing. Utah and the Jungle maps in particular and messing around in the rock crawler is a nice change of pace. There's a thread on Reddit where you can find the shader for free and a good working version of reshade. The version available through his patreon doesn't appear to work as well.

• Like Like x 1
  16. F1Aussie

Roblox and YT, that is all my little savage wants to do all day every day!!
    Now that I am on holidays until 27/1/22 I might have to play some rocket league with him to get him off the other two, he is just obsessed with roblox!

• Like Like x 1
  17. 2ndLastJedi

My youngest is pretty good at Rocket league on the PS4, he surprised me with his skills to be honest. I thought he was a keyboard/mouse (kbm) little guy yet mastered playing on the PS4 when he broke his arm and couldn't kbm for 6 weeks. Now his arm is out of the cast he is back on Roblox, well until Santa brings him Miles Moralas in a few days.

Merry Christmas fellow sim racers.

18. 2ndLastJedi

I have Beam, had it since it first released, it has come a long way since then, yes it does have limited triple support. If you have a link to those shaders i will have a look. Thanks.

19. chonk

https://www.reddit.com/r/BeamNG/comments/lcruck/how_to_make_beamng_look_like_a_2022_game/

Very straight forward you know how reshade works so you wont have any problems. Really you just need the RTGI shader + reshade v4.5.4 and then make a profile that suits you. I haven't tried later versions of reshade other than 4.9.1 which failed to load rtgi. I don't particularly think the shaders that he's chosen make all that much sense, I am using anamorphic film sharpen, dpx, fxaa and rtgi. But only started playing around with it last night. It's worth having light beams enabled in beam. Anyway Utah at sunset looks fantasic.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. 2ndLastJedi

Thanks mate, I will definitely have a look tomorrow. Beam shadows always annoyed me, all the pop in and then the aliasing :eek:
    But I really did have some fun driving one of the touring cars, the driving is really quite impressive. I always venture back every update to see how it improved, it's always the graphics that kept me away. This may help, thanks again. I will post back how I got on with it. :)

• Like Like x 1