1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vJoy not working

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by Dan-Ove Brantholm, Apr 9, 2020.

1. chonk

chonk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Don't worry dude, it's a perfectly reasonable request.

DIY is so prevelant in the SIM world that it's makes total sense to support input from something like vjoy. It is bread and butter software when it comes to DIY controllers and for people to dismiss that stuff as cheap trash just highlights how little they understand the topic. If I think about some of the wheels, pedals, clutches, button boxes, handbrakes etc and flight sim controllers of various types I've seen done the DIY route the level of craftsmanship and dedication at times is mind boggling. DIY is one of the cornerstones of sim gear and should supported as much as possible.

Don't mind these cranks clearly Santa only had metric tons of coal for them this year.

2. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

DIY is great if it follows the rules.
    I have several DIY devices.
    But its ridicolous when half baked DIY hardware is dependend to half baked software, that doesn't follow the sdk rules, just to hack some not supported devices. Then this becomes an underground standard and then someone tries to push developers to support it. vJoy is such a hack, is incompatible on many systems, crashes some games. Some may think its the ultimate solution. But it isn't.

3. Biucci

Biucci New Member AMS2 Club Member

We are probably losing focus on the problem: the game is properly reading vjoy or other inputs on the full signal range, as everybody can check by themselves in calibration screens, but it's just adding filters and deadzones on those inputs during actual gameplay, even if all relevant sliders are set at 0, in case the device is detected as a gamepad.

So, even if vjoy and similar solutions were the half baked hacks, the input from the non ultimate solution is still working totally fine (maybe because it follows some "rules") until you want to use that input outside of actual gameplay.
    In other games this is not leading to any additional issue apart from needing a proper calibration and maybe the proper setting of DOR according the used vehicle. In PC2 and AMS2 we have this additional layer of filtering.
    In my case the vjoy option is not an option, the device is built around vjoy, it's not my own DIY project so there is no way for me to get it working without this half baked piece of garbage.

For me it's a minor issue, I'm a lucky bastard who can throw money away for his hobbies and the affected wheel was intended for the second rig, I'm still having a OSW in my primary rig and I'm now putting together a second OSW in my spare time, while guests are playing with a not cheap T-GT from Thrustmaster.
    For other people the affected device may be their primary and only one, meaning they simply can't play the game (and PC2 as well, as the issue starts there).

Is there a simple and easy solution for this, without messing up other parts of the game?
    I don't know, considering the results up to now most probably the answer is NO.
    This doesn't change the fact that opinions (easy ones as they come from unaffected users) are not enough to dismiss a legit request that has been disregarded or postponed for more than one year (as it's the same exact thing as claimed in terms of proper gamepad support, like it was in AMS1).

For the record, I had a private discussion with Domagoj from Reiza regarding this and one of my wheels, as it is affected by this problem. I preferred to use private messages instead of other topics to avoid getting my messages unnoticed...and it worked.
    Dom promptly replied over the weekend and supported me to better understand the situation, which proves once more the fact that Reiza is one step ahead in terms of support for users and community.
    No reasons to be mad or angry at Reiza even if the issue is not solved yet.
    At the same time, no reasons to belittle others' legit requests, as the non ultimate, half baked, piece of garbage hack is working fine and the issue not just relevant for vjoy or similar software.

4. nosazik

nosazik New Member

vjoy is not a hack, if the skill limit was in the game engine it would not necessarily need to block these things. (softwares) and Diy
    as in assetto corsa

5. nosazik

nosazik New Member

i'm just want to play with mouse, without trash like they support. mouse like a button, need to see live for speed doing best. 20 years old game

6. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I use Vjoy with my stream deck, but after every update it breaks. Is there a fix?

7. Victor M Miguelez

Victor M Miguelez New Member AMS2 Club Member

We are in the end of 2023 and still AMS2 does not allow for the use of Vjoy, same with RR3. Beware that many of us use the control mapper in Simhub to allow for steering wheel swapping ( yes, we have a lot of steering wheels). This way we bind buttons only once through the vjoy and then through Simhub we assign every button of every wheel to the vjoy. ACC, iRacing, AC and RF2 allow for this, why not AMS2 and RR3?I don’t understand. Their loss, we just use the first four sims mentioned.

8. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I use Vjoy with my stream deck XL and it works perfectly

9. Victor M Miguelez

Victor M Miguelez New Member AMS2 Club Member

I do too, I have a stream deck XL and I can bind buttons with no problem. But to do the wheel swapping through Simhub using vjoy as explained doesn’t work in AMS2 nor RR3. In one instance I was able to get the game to record the vjoy inputs during setup, but when using the mapped wheel it started to record double clicks. I think to vjoy functionality is not cleanly implemented. So I have to configure each different wheel individually.