1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is setup tinkering a part of sim racing in general?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Vedixszsz, Dec 22, 2021.

1. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Lets unpack this shall we.

Both the 570s and the Cayman have similar power to weight ratios, however the 570s has a turbo and the Cayman is NA. Since this is Imperio Endurance, the 570s will have a greater engine power advantage the higher the track altitude.

As far as cornering is concerned, as @azaris mentioned, the more longitudinal weigh bias rearwards the more corner entry turn in ability. The Cayman is 59% to the rear, the 570s 57%. Which is not insignificant under any stretch of the imagination.

The Cayman also has a shorter wheelbase than the 570s by .19 meters. Cars with shorter wheelbases corner easier, (or in other words they resist turning less than longer wheelbases).

The weight bias further rearward and a shorter wheelbase on paper suggests the Cayman will indeed prefer to be driven deeper into the corner, trail braking for a quick rotation, then planting on throttle once the rotation is achieved for a late corner apex. The onboards I have seen reflect his.

Check this onboard and watch how the driver approaches this hairpin:

This driving style is classic Porsche through and through.

2. Vedixszsz

Vedixszsz New Member

I wish i could go into details but i just dont have the knowledge sim or real life.
    All i can go on is my experience thus far. The acc and ams2 cayman drive completely different. Which means that someone has got it completely wrong.
    It almost drives like an old classic car in ams2 to be honest.
    Its like the abs isnt doing anything thats what it feels like and there is no lateral grip.

Judging from this thread and the various videos and comments i have seen on the matter it looks like its a fairly common belief amongst players so it might be something thats worth looking into.

Im not here to bash the game, i play it the most out of the car games i own. I want it to be good.

3. Vedixszsz

Vedixszsz New Member

Might be a tad bit too much for my noob sim racing brain to handle but i'll see if i can get into the telemetry thing, heard about it being a good thing to use.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Dont take my word for it. Look at what every single successful racing team on the planet is doing ;) Out of interest I found a second a lap recently on a short test that I did while exploring someone else's feedback about something. I noticed that with that particular car my fastest lap I was braking earlier for the corners on what in the car felt like a slower and much more sedate pace, probably in the region of 5m or so. As a result I was actually carrying more apex speed and carrying that speed into the following straight. 1 second that I didnt know where from, until I looked at the telemetry. Its a good tool.

• Like Like x 1
  5. steelreserv

Cayman ABS set to 0:

ABS set to 5:

ABS set to 10:

Looking at the top graph, blue line, which is the wheel slip for the front right tire with max braking.

Jaggedness indicates ABS engagement.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Very illuminating. Its really rather useful to be able to utilise these resources.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. steelreserv

IMO the car drives like a car with its wheelbase and long weight bias should and what we as drivers should expect. It drives like a porsche. Great low speed cornering and a planted rear end on throttle, suffering from US at high speed. The rear will feel like its slipping out but you can catch it with the throttle. Arguably it really needs that cornering ability as well. At short club circuits its should perform quite well, not so much sweeping GP style ones though.

As far as other parameters, we're also limited by documentation. Other series besides Imperio BoP their cars in a variety of ways, including ride height, track to track and year to year, but all of the settings as far as I can tell are within the ballpark for a regulated MR Cayman GT4.

There's always something you can do to improve the feel, and nothing is set in stone. But I don't anticipate a ACC type comfort revision anytime soon, a character change in the car or significant lap time increase. Its a technique car and a situational one.

8. Vedixszsz

Vedixszsz New Member

Yeah okay the graph indicated abs works or at the very least should be working.
    Now, how do we make sense out of the massive difference (literally nothing alike) between the Cayman in acc compared to ams2? The two sims are THAT fundamentally different under the hood?

Like i said logic dictates that one of these is completely off in their efforts to simulate the real life thing if its supposed to be the same car.

And does it make sense that the Camaro is so much more potent under braking? The braking in the Camaro makes sense, i have a far better feel for when im pushing it too hard and its going to slip. With the Cayman it feels like the slip happens way earlier than it should.
    Maybe a brake pressure issue with specifically my hardware? I got the Thrustmaster t-lcm load cell pedals. The brake pressure on both cars is 90% yet feels just about right in the Camaro and ridiculously off in the Cayman.

9. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

10. steelreserv

Im not a fan of ACC as a benchmark for anything.

Brake pressure can always be set to your own feel. Whatever makes you feel more comfortable finding the slip point. The tires on the cars are the same, but their weight distribution is much different.

That being said I took a closer look at some contemporary regs for the MR 981 and passed them along. I wouldn't bank too much on the car feeling that much different, driving style wise. Its still going to be on its nose trail braking and rotate with the rear.

11. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

I was rooting for you to could do it, mate.

That's soo fkng obvious lol

Probably it's because they are different specs and possibly launch year... or:

And why do you suppose that is the AMS2 version, that is very similar to all other sims, but ACC, is the wrong one?

Even if a sim deliver a version that is different for all other in the market, that don't mean that it's wrong.

My advice: If you can do it, rent this car for a trackday and take your own conclusions (considering the model, year and settings of the Cayman you try in RL). I will refrain to leave my personal opinion because it is irrelevant to this discussion... just, next time, just don't ride a warhorse over a discussion that you "couldn't go into details" because "don't have the knowledge".

Cheers!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

Funny, because this is what I did in 2019, and in the aftermath I was a bit disappointed with the representation in AMS2. I felt much more confident in the real car: Rent Race Car – ringtaxi.com – Rent Race Car

Also, a standard Cayman is on my wishlist for my 50th birthday.
    The BMW Z3 is showing it's age and should not be driven on tracks anymore.

the suboptimal state in terms of handling, setup options and the fact that the menu is bugged when you switch to units instead of rates was noted and discussed quite a while prior to 1.3... nothing has changed.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
  13. Jugulador

So, can you explain exactly how it is disappointing?

Are you using metric or imperial ingame?

14. ray64040

ray64040 Member AMS2 Club Member

In game the GT4 Cayman has a 41:59 weight distribution which is more rear weight bias than the GT3 911. The road going 981 Cayman GT4 is mid engine with a 45:55 weight distribution. Does the Imperio Endurance car really have 4% more rear weight bias than the road car?

15. steelreserv

I’ve done some research myself. Mind posting your source? Doesnt hurt to gather more evidence.

16. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

The AMS2 version has less directional stabiliy, drives on worn out dampers and stabilizers, seems to have a much to high center of gravity and sports a sack of sand in the back. That's at least my impression. And there is nothing that can be "fixed" since the is not much to tinker in setup.

17. ray64040

ray64040 Member AMS2 Club Member

Here's what I've found for the 981 Cayman GT4 road car. The first link has 45:55. The corner weights in the second and third link work out to 44:56. Haven't found anything for the Clubsport or other race versions, but I'll keep looking.

Porsche Cayman GT4 2015-2016 ride & handling | Autocar

GT4 front/rear weight distribution - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

For the 718 Cayman GT4 road car the corner weights in the first link again work out to 44:56. The second link has 43:57 in the specs table.

How much does your 718 GT4 weigh ? - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

2021 Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 PDK First Test: Sharp Numbers, Sharper Experience (motortrend.com)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jugulador

Sorry, mate... your impressions don't match with mine. Maybe your AMS2 settings are messed.

19. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

"Porsche Cayman GT4: Corrected weight distribution & adjusted default setup (setup reset recommended)"

;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jugulador

They nerfed the car... whatever!