1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.3.1.1 & Racin´ USA Pt2 RELEASED - Now updated to V1.3.2.0

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 3, 2021.

1. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

GTE's changed a bunch in the past few updates. The overall pace of all three dropped significantly, but the BMW finally got nerfed from being the all-conquering overpowered beast that it used to be. The Vette has always suffered from a bit of rear tire temp issues, but then again, I'm one of those uncouth heathens that run GT cars without ABS and TC. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Nice one! You're not the only one mate, I even do that in ACC!

3. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Despite popular opinion TC isn't used to prevent mistakes in RL. These are professional racing drivers we are talking about who have extraordinary seat of the pants feel. In RL its used to preserve tire temps and wear with tires that are more sophisticated and sensitive than they used to be back in the day.

In sim racing it can be used to prevent mistakes though or in some cases to act as a signal to players to not push the tire model, not for temp reasons, but for touchy slip characteristics and/or to make up for the lack of seat in the pants feel.

Less TC can and will be faster when there is no overheating concerns and wear isn't an issue, such as qually. Drivers can push to their hearts content.

Racing though, different story, I have no issue bumping up TC to as high as 10 depending on the track temps if I see something with temp imbalance in the rears building that I don't like. I'll also bump BB forward a few clicks as well simply to give the rears a break. Slower, yes. But still on track. I'll do this especially after I have a bit of a spin, because the chances of a second spin are twice as high for a lap or two after that.

ABS is similar.

Re: ABS from Porsche factory driver Patrick Long: "Feeling a slight amount of ABS pulsing through the steering wheel in hard-braking zones is good; if you feel the ABS through the brake pedal, then you are most likely using too much brake pressure and thus losing that last 10 to 20 percent of bite."

For us, we don't have the pedal feel. So if you are on the edge of the pulse through wheel feel or audio, you're fine, but the more you go past that edge and start heavily pulsing, you will lose brake performance. Keeping it on that edge is fine. Remember, ABS is based on slip, not how hard you engage the brake. You should balance ABS and Brake pressure based on how you feel and they work hand in hand. Find what you think is a good slip point of the tire under braking and set the ABS so that if you go slightly over that its starts to engage

Paul did that say 57c track temp, good lord. Welcome to Virginia in July. Yeah, softs won't hack it very long.

I'd suggest anyone racing GT3s or GTEs or making MP lobbies to select a date/time of day that provides ~25c track temp at least until hard compounds become more competitive. (which should happen eventually).

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 11
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

Exactly, thats why I think its so weird to see people claiming they turn it all the way off.

But when people go above and beyond to make sim racing an “authentic experience” and then turn off ABS in a gt3 car is beyond me.
    Its also one of the things that sets the GT3 cars apart from other classes giving it a whole dofferent experience and challenge.
    Sure certain types of cars are faster if youre a threshold braking god, but gt3 cars simply dont function like other cars.
    If you would want to use threshold braking you would also have to revise the entire braking system of the cars, as explained by Gottfried Grasser in this article about DTM.
    Link: Why the DTM made a U-turn on driving aids

For me simracing is about “simulating” (yea no ****) reality as closely as possible, but I realise there will always be compromises.
    Despite the fact that I love my HE Ultimates they will never feel like Im driving a real racecar.
    But I feel the least I can do is abide by the. regulations and specs used irl when I drive the same cars in my sims.

Personally, just to be clear. I couldnt care less what other people do in their simracing.
    You can crank that **** up to 100 or turn it off all together for all I care.
    If its within the rules of the sim and it works for you then good on ya, hope it makes you faster.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. Koen_Sch

Koen_Sch Active Member

That's why I put the quotation mark there, but I guess that's on me for not being clear enough in that case.

6. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The way ABS is used in racing is for the driver to sense its intervention and stay just on the verge of it. ABS by nature works by repeatedly applying excessive brake force detect slippage and then reduce it. It does that many many times a second and with it, additional tire wear will be caused and slightly longer then optimal brake distance. The thing is you want to lower the ABS as much as you can without your foot being so without guidance of the ABS that it will lock excessively.
    Similar concept with TC: driving ACC style with zero care for grip and total reliance on TC isn't realistic and by the way it will cause lots of tire temps and wear because TC can only cut power with a certain delay, it's not instantaneous. So when your TC is cutting all the way from the apex to corner exit and you are flat out your rear tires get smoked anyway (less than flooring it with not TC though).
    So even on TC your right foot better do sensible use of the gas pedal.
    There are lots of GT/Protos without ABS or TC or both... Starting from GTE class where there is no ABS

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Kevin del Campo

Thanks, I know thats how abs works…
    I never said you should just hammer down the pedals and keep them down while you let abs and tc do the rest.
    I was just reacting to people saying they dont use it because its more effective to apply threshold braking for gt3 cars.

Those other cars you mention are also designed to be driven without abs and tc, as they were designed for actual profesional racing drivers as opposed to gt3 cars that were designed to also be driven by amateurs.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kevin del Campo

Yeah thats kind of what I thought and also said in my reply.
    I think it was mostly a misunderstanding/miscommunication…

9. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Racing is crossing the finish line first with the car you have. If the car has it, at the highest levels you best be sure the drivers will use it. There’s no such thing as style points.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Ok, perspective from an uncouth, no assist, heathen:

Yes, ABS and TC in small amounts will be faster, especially in real-life racing. I have no problem with others using it, I just don't like the feel of TC. ABS I don't mind at much, but over one lap I'm typically faster without TC, sometimes up to half a second or more in some cars. *cough cough F-V10 Gen2* AMS2's implementation often feels too drastic for my taste. There are times where I can feel it cutting the throttle when I feel the tire can handle more. I use the movement at the rear to force the car to oversteer to control the yaw of the car. Yes, it's not the most realistic to how real racers drive GT's, but I don't like GT's anyway. I 100% admit I'm in the minority with that sentiment. I came from only running rallycross, drifting, and rallying in my early simracing days, so I like a car with a bit of movement at the rear.

As for ABS, small amounts of it are fine, but too much and I feel like I've lost too much info on where the grip is. This is partly why I don't like ACC: with the default ABS and TC values, I can't feel what the car is doing on the limit. AMS2 is much better about this. The subtle ways the car squirms when at the limit are a hint at where to push and what to be cautious about. Too much rotation, more front bias, less aggressive entry, etc. Too little rotation, more rear brake bias, more aggressive transfer, put weight on the nose, etc. If I was in the real car, I could feel the G forces, but I'm not. This helps me understand what the car is capable of and how bumps, camber, etc. change the way I need to approach a corner.

With that said, the few times I will use it is during full distance or longer endurance races for the same reason steelreserv mentioned: tyre life and tyre temperature. Flat spots and destroyed rears aren't really the best for overall time during a stint. There's no point in gaining three-tenths if it costs you two seconds a lap later.

The main benefit I see with TC is how it changes what setups are viable. You can get away with a car that would be way too nervous without it. You can push the limits of available front grip without having to worry about it being undrivable. This is similar in a way to some fly-by-wire jets and helicopters. You can pull more performance out by pushing the setup past what an unaided version could.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
  11. amsimp

amsimp Impatient Racer

So … what GT3 cars we predicting will be added?

12. CJ56

CJ56 New Member

I'm betting on the gtr just because there's been r390 screenshots. It'll probably be a minute though.

• Creative Creative x 1
  13. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

Nissan GT-R, Aston Martin Vantage, Ginetta G55 and Lamborghini Huracan are all in the files, so they are probably likely to be in the works at least (Vantage was also confirmed via screenshots).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Jodurson

Jodurson Member

I don't want to sound annoying, but the month is almost over, and the promised part of the content from the Racin' USA pt.2 DLC is not there, and we would like to hear some news for the near future or a month then.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The last time they skipped the monthly dev update we got the 1.3 patch, maybe they are about to hit us with 1.4...

16. R00bDriver

R00bDriver Member

Peeps, it's Christmas time, I'm not working, are you working?

Let them have a bloody rest, we'll get it when we get it!

• Agree x 6
    • Like x 3
    • Disagree x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Friendly x 1
  17. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Give me 100 euro and I will release something for you guys!

• Funny Funny x 9
  18. Romeo Foxtrot

Romeo Foxtrot Active Member AMS2 Club Member

By following the regular updates a clear pattern has emerged. They have content they want to release, they have expected timeframes for when all things go well and they have to modify those timeframes when there are problems with either the software or the licensing. These timeframes are not and cannot be promises. Solving problems in either software or licensing is inherently unsuited to timeframes. They're not like construction projects. The timeframes are expectations - should all go well. Heretofore the planned times have often been optimistic and Reiza have been slammed for that - unfairly, I feel. They're enthusiastic and industrious. Of course they're optimistic.

Generally, when they announce new content, new features or new plans they meet those before moving onto the next ones. If anything goes out of sequence they'll let us know, if we need to know, such as with the historical track variants.

The latest update then is always the latest update. Re-read it if you're not sure of all the content in hand. That's what they're working on with no new plans that they want to announce until the last announcements have been fulfilled.

Basically, there's no news until there's more news.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. chaigneau

chaigneau New Member

they've committed to delivering the rest of the DLC sometime in december ... so disagree with your comment.

• Dislike Dislike x 8
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Jebus

Jebus The Lying Finn AMS2 Club Member

Plans change. Get over it.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1