1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why some cars are transparent/ghost in online race?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by VFX Pro, Dec 31, 2021.

1. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Is it because they are a lap behind? (which would be great if it's not the case)
    Is it because they pings are too high and might create close proximity issues? (which would be great if it's not the case)

What else?

2. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

theres the "allow ghosted cars" option
    why someone turns into a ghost is pretty inconsistant and cant be answered 100%
    sometimes a car is ghosted and 2 turns later he isnt anymore.

usually they are a lap down, just rejoined the track significantly slower than they should be, they are lagging alot (teleporting around), during qualy some cars are also ghosted, but why isnt quite clear

• Informative Informative x 3
  3. Enagee

Enagee jim joneZ AMS2 Club Member

This feature is not needed at all....it just breeds arcade mentality where people don't find the line to overtake and want to drive through a car....

It's either you pass or wait on blue flag... What part of simulation is driving through a "ghosted" car.... I hate this feature with a passion!

Reiza, trim of the fat and make your life easier and remove this "feature".

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

2 things to keep in mind. There is automatic ghosting in P&Q when a new user joins and goes on track. Since the ME doesn't load players in for other drivers when they are on track, they need to return to the pit garage to load them in and be able to see them. This mean that newly joined drivers will see drivers already on track as ghosts.
    Another case during a race is when 2 drivers aren't synced up, in order to avoid problems, they will ghost for eachother.

Allow Ghosted cars is a host/server controlled setting that makes it so that when a driver spins or drives the wrong way around, they will ghost for incoming cars. Consider it an anti-griefer setting.

• Like Like x 2
  5. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

one of the ACC devs i had a conversation with, once stated that giving the server admin/host too much control can result in stupid server configs, hence why they limit what the host can do, to generally improve the playability.

back when i heard that, i found that quite weird and didnt really understand it. but looking at all the servers hosted in ams2, i can totally see his point now

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. VFX Pro

Interesting opinion. For me, I truly love this feature, here's why. After practicing for 20 minutes, and qualifying in pole, there is nothing more than I hate to have my efforts gone by idiots who don't care. Or, trying to qualify really fast but there is a ton of slow or bad drivers everywhere (20 cars in small track) where you can't properly pass to get a good qualifying run.

Now, I know the rating will eventually clean things up and prevent U, F drivers to join B,A,S classes, but at this point, having some transparency in Qualifying is super important. In the race itself, I like to have the drivers who are driving the wrong direction or are a lap down, or have a high ping, to be transparent. I know it's not "real life" but then again, real life drivers don't drive in the wrong direction or don't instantly disappear or re-appear, so it's a good compromise and a great option for the host/server. If you want to deal with that mess, keep those options off, if you want to have a little cleaner fun, turn them on.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  7. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Maybe you didn't think this through very thoroughly, but last night during my race which I spent a reasonable amount of time practising for and preparing, a car suddenly appeared in front of me out of nowhere, literally as the guy was having a connection problem. I had absolutely no chance of even reacting but fortunately the ghosting feature prevented contact and my race did not get ruined. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Enagee

Enagee jim joneZ AMS2 Club Member

Definitely, everyone has their preference. I find the ghosting inconsistent and I feel others who play online will easily get confused and always think this is standard.

Not everything can be simulated but an extra feature like this takes away the experience for me.

if only we can have ghosting in real-life races right?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. Koen_Sch

Koen_Sch Active Member

Maybe having different ghost settings would solve the issue.
    - No ghost
    - Full ghost
    - partial ghost (first X second after joining the track. X can be changed?)

I have been caught off guard as well. Ghosting through someone, only to make contact a few corners later, expecting the car to be ghosted.

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. VFX Pro

I agree... I wish the ghosting feature would be clearly defined and labeled in the Practice/Qual/Race so we all understand if it's temporary, or for the entire duration of qualification (for example) so we don't accidentally RAM someone thinking they were supposed to be ghost and slow down excessively or avoid them when we could have gone through them...

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Wild Cheese

Wild Cheese New Member

If I understand Shriukan's explanation then when you join a session you may find yourself
    • ghosting against some players currently on track, who did not pit yet and they can't even see you
    • not ghosting against others, who exit the pits after you joined and can see you
    And so that's why sometimes a passing car seem to drive straight through you with no attempt to go around? They can't see you yet and it ghosts on your side. Then you assume everyone is ghosted and hit another car later on in the session.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

Correct. That is why I am extra careful when joining and moving off-line to pass (until I notice the car ghosting)

13. VFX Pro

The current "ghosting" is confusing at the moment. I see the advantages and the need for it, but it needs to be clear what is happening in the game... Perhaps, use label on top of each car to clarify if a car is a ghost and why...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2