1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online Servers need help (Dedi and In Game)

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Theo Lupu, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Theo Lupu

Theo Lupu Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey everyone!

I just want to start off by saying I'm writing this out of love for AMS2 and I want it to succeed even more than it has already.

I run a Discord server along with a few other admins, we have 750 people and are growing exponentially, in the past few months we have been phasing in AMS2 races twice weekly plus bi monthly special events. We are constantly running into issues with servers. We consistently have 25+ people in them.

Tonight we attempted to run a GTE race @ Long Beach (full formation lap rolling start), we filled the server at 32 (had 38 show interest). This was running on a Dedi in Amazon AWS EC2 console with a c4xlarge server. Its overpowered for this application. During the transition from Practice to Quali it booted 11 people and we were left with 21.

They rejoined during the Quali session, then when the session went from Quali to race it booted 14 people, we were left with 18.

I then started the race on the in game server on my own PC with the same session settings . 30 in the server this time. The rolling start then failed. A good portion of the field started in the pits, for some the AI would not let get control of their vehicle. Some cars initialized mid air over the track, while others were underneath. Some cars were in the walls, most got penalties or DQ's. I tried to get this on replay but it does not represent what happened and the cars are inconsistent in the replay.

This isn't the first time we have experienced issues with the Dedi servers, the in game servers, and rolling starts, there's quite a few others experiencing it as well from posts we've seen.

We have another large event planned for the 22nd, we're planning on two splits as we have 50+ signups, I am not sure how it is going to happen with these instability and bugs.

Again this all comes from a good place, I'm not trying to talk negatively about the game at all, I just think this is crucial and needs to be talked about and held at a higher priority as this is a big turning point for AMS2 with all the improvements recently released.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Ian McClure

Ian McClure New Member

Can confirm as I was a participant in the race. Really falling in love with AMS2 and all the updates but online functionality needs to take priority over anything content related. Hoping some devs see this and can help out!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Stickdeath1980

Stickdeath1980 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Can Confirm as what is said above.
    That switching from Quali to the race ended up 7 plus people beeing kicked then,When the race started car's where all over the place willy nilly..

• Like Like x 4
  4. tom6598

tom6598 New Member

I also participated in the race, kicked out of the server when switching session (practice to qualiy) and the game crashed when the race started.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi, i am running several dedicated servers from my home connection without issues, the only time i had a lot of disconnect issues was when i was running the dedi server on linux, since i transferred to windows i had no issues with the dedi server, have you tried running a lobby/dedicated server with max 20 people to see how that runs? and if that goes well try 25, it seems like a possible connection error, maybe @Dave Stephenson is more familiar with this, i would try lowering the numbers first to try and pinpoint whats the issue.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kinda Irish

Kinda Irish New Member

1st. Awesome job, Reiza! Keep up the great work!
    2nd. Well put, Theo!
    3rd. I was one that spawned half-under the pitbox, at least from my POV. But my car, according to others and from what I could see in the rear view mirror, was somewhere at the last hairpin (qualied 19thish). I noticed I could move the car, but only knew I was moving my car because the mirror worked. It was pretty wild. As soon as I noticed that my car was in the middle of the track (when I was in the pitbox), I retired to pit - didn't want to mess anyone else up, but also forgot to grab a screenshot of that.

I did save the replay, which starts out black and then my car is in the wall.
    I can share the replay if that would be helpful, I'm just not sure where that file gets saved?

Not sure if helpful for log-searching purposes but this race happened on 1/2/2022 at 7:30pm (ET). Most of the issues seemed to happen around session change, so around 8 & 8:15ish.

My system:
    CPU: i5 7600k
    GPU: 980ti
    Game is on a spinning disk - Hitachi HDS722020ALA330

Thanks again for the constant updates and happy new year!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Theo Lupu

I havent
    We haven't run the dedi on a limited grid, I'm sure it would work as I've seen the issue is around 21-22 players+ which seems to be in line with what happened. I just wish it would work with a full grid as we have a lot of people that want to race.

8. Theo Lupu

9. Roy Niessink

One thing i noticed is this:

upload_2022-1-3_18-56-25.png

the bottom line suggests there is something wrong with your port configuration in your server.cfg file, the default are these ports that are used:
    // ports used to communicate with Steam and game, they must all be accessible on the public IP of the server.
    steamPort : 8766
    hostPort : 27015
    queryPort : 27016

you need to have 3 different ports, 4 if you want to use the webconfig, thats default port 9000, those ports all have to be opened in router/windows firewall, in your log it says only 27016, and that it could not bind to it, could also be another application is using that port.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Roy Niessink

@Theo Lupu Here is an example on what it should look like, i took out my ip address, but to give you an idea.

upload_2022-1-3_19-13-31.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Theo Lupu

I'll give that a go, thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Theo Lupu

Just completed the event with both splits on the in game servers. The following are all bugs we encountered. They're also listed on page 164 of the offices bugs thread.

"All of these bugs occurred during our 2.4 hour Daytona multiclass race

Version: 1.3.2

Track & Layout Used: N/A(Daytona Road)

Car Used: DPI

Applicable Settings: N/A

Report:

Pit presets tire pressure was inconsistent and when put new tires on didn't follow the set amount, different results each time when tried to swap tires again.

Time stamps in this video capture it:

Track & Layout Used: Daytona Road

Car Used: DPI & GTE

Report:

In game Server froze between Quali and race session as on player had high ping/ syncing issues. Had to leave in order to let it initiate

Caught on stream:

Applicable Settings: Rolling start no formation lap

Report:

Non formation lap rolling start spawned cars out of grid positions. Some moved, some didn't, multiple drivers got penalties and one got DQ'd all out of our control.

This was also caught on the stream listed above

Report:

Two players had syncing issues so it did not register their position during the race, they were ghosted they entire time.

Report:

Going off track to the left at the bus stop makes your lap not count, and therefore you a lap down compared to the rest of the field

Car Used: GTE

Report:

GTE M8 floating above the track as seen by one player, didn't seem to be ping related.

Car Used: DPI

Report:

Ran out of fuel rolling into the pit box, within range of the refueler pit crew and refilling did not initiate, vehicle was halfway out of the pit box but it could've been pulled in ideally."

• Agree Agree x 1