1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

Thanks Fernando. You say you have yours at 90hz, when I click on the quest 2 in oculus app it says 72hz (recommended). Where is the super sampling in oculus app?

Thanks again

2. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

When you click on the Oculus Quest 2 device in the desktop app, you navigate to graphics settings and if you click in there, a new window will pop up where you can set your desired refresh rate (72, 80, 90 and 120 if enabled in Quest 2 settings), and below that you can set the desired rendering resolution (super/under sampling) See image below:

upload_2021-12-31_15-38-56.png upload_2021-12-31_15-38-56.png

3. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

Thanks again, will try tomorrow, think that is resolution slider in mine and is set at 1.1

Baz

4. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

That’s a solid uplift! I’m surprised to hear you think FSR improves things. For whatever reason, it turns the game into Minecraft (super pixelated) for me. I’ve tried multiple settings.

5. Chip

Thank you so much for posting this video. Do you have either Game Mode and/or Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling (e.g. HAGS) enabled within Windows settings?

6. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Did you try a render scale of 0.85 in the Openvr config file? That's over the ultra quality settings (0.77).

7. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

I too find FSR to be pretty average at best. By the time I tune the settings to be reasonable in terms of visual fidelity (ie 0.85), it still looks miles worse than my normal settings and the supposed benefit is minimal at best at that stage (ie trying to race at night is the only issue I have with AMS2 anyway)

The latest v2 on gitHub does not work with my AMS2 (crashes) so only the NuScorpii modded version works for me and that does not include NIS. Every game I tried FSR it looked like crap tbh and I spent ages tuning the settings. Gave up on it pretty much. For me, I either end up with poor visuals with some performance gain (where I may as well just turn down by SteamVR SS to get the same benefit) or get no real benefit what so ever.

I was hoping for some DLSS implementation for VR, but after seeing the results with ACC (Blurry), not hopeful about that either.

I see so many people with G2 that have SteamVR at 60% or something, but surely this eliminates the entire advantage of having a High Resolution headset?

Anyway, came to the solid conclusion, some people are happier with much more degraded visuals than others and that's all FSR does as far as I can tell. Its up-sampling is very poor to my eyes. As it is (without the FSR) I run AMS2 on all High settings (Couple on Ultra, Grass OFF) and MSAA on medium for daytime racing at full 90fps (SteamVR SS 130%) on Vive Pro. Good enough for now until they do some specific performance optimisation for Night time racing which basically halves the frame rate currently (at some tracks).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Running a G2 @ 50/60% you still get the advantage of (almost) no screen door effect, so it doesn't eliminate the entire advantage.

It's worth bearing in mind that even though the G2 is 2160x2160 per eye, the '100%' pixel count is much higher - 3160x3092. (50% is 2236x2184). I'm no expert on why this is - something to do with accounting for lens distortion. Anyway, that's a lot of pixels - more than double a 4k monitor. Not realistic to expect 90fps at high settings and that resolution from pretty much any gpu right now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. BazzaLB

Fair enough. Makes sense. I wondered why it was so common.

10. BistoKid

BistoKid Active Member

I have a 3070 arriving in a few days time so this has been informative. This point quoted though, I run Simhub to launch AMS2. Do you know, if it is the same as running Oculus Runtime please?

11. Chip

I'm still fiddling with settings, and came across a strange new issue with most recent game update: Does any one else have semi-transparent cars during races with rain/spray? I can literally see the tire spray of cars two in front of me through the body of the car directly in front of me. I am uninstalling and reinstalling game now to see if that fixes it, but curious if any one else has tried to run a race during a thunderstorm and has the same issue as me.

12. DaWorstPlaya

^This. Basically SteamVR 50% is closest to the native rez of the G2 (2160x2160). Supposedly going higher SS values than 50 corrects for "barrel" distortion but I haven't noticed any barrel distortion running the G2 at native rez with SteamVR. And I know what barrel distortion looks like using the Vive Pro with GearVR lens mod. If you can notice it you must have sensitive eyes.

60% Steam VR is still SS over the native rez of the G2 and looks really good. I guess the 0.85 FSR visual quality is just a recommendation for the G2. Good to know in lower rez headsets (Vive Pro) FSR probably makes the image look worse in an already blurry headset.

13. BazzaLB

Sorry to say but my view is far from blurry in my Vive pro. Its crystal clear in fact. I can read gauges with no issues (no need for VR zoom keys) in all my flight sims (Which I run between 130 and 150% SteamVR SS). It does have screen door to some extent though, that much is true.

14. Tregonhawke

Tregonhawke New Member

Yeah noticed the same today

15. Nupol

Nupol New Member

Wasn't this also in Project cars 2 (one reason I tried ams2 cause it had better VR support and this bug was not occuring in ams2 but the devs killed nightdrives in VR aswell now (really bad fps even at dawn) so I never checked again in rainy conditions in ams2

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Chip

After uninstalling and reinstalling the game, the problem of translucent cars seems to have been resolved. I think I've uninstalled and reinstalled this game more than any other game in my library!

After dozens of hours of testing, I finished (yes, I can finally use that word!) setting up VR in AMS2 today (well, until the next SteamVR, AMS2, or Nvidia update that is).

Some key take-aways that I think are worth sharing here:

-I was finally able to get automatic reprojection working (90FPS-->45FPS-->90FPS), but I am not sure what I did differently this time. One key to success was definitely changing the file that @Alegunner68 mentioned a while ago (e.g. changing Mixed Reality Driver file setting to "auto" from "None" and removing a couple of forward slashes). See his earlier post with text file attachment for details.
    -I ended up with two graphics "presets", one using 80% SS for 90FPS with automatic reprojection for everything but thunderstorm races, and the other with 50% SS for 45FPS that can be used in any conceivable situation. I am happy to share the specific AMS2 in-game settings if anyone wants them.
    -Bloom and crepuscular rays kill frame-rate stability on my system, so I'm running with both turned off, which isn't ideal from an immersion standpoint, but oh well.
    -As others, like @Rob Davies have mentioned, disabling both Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling (HAGS) and Game Mode within Windows 10 helped GPU utilization dramatically. GPU usage reached into the 90%+ before frame rates began to fall...80% was the cutoff with both of those features enabled.

Anyway, thank you so much to all of you for patiently responding to all my questions and rants along the way. I am excited to actually enjoy some races now!

PS: Reiza, will you PLEASE fix VR performance in the rain?!?!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. EmilG

EmilG Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey Chip good to hear you've sorted it out! VR can be very finicky depending on your PC hardware and graphics options etc. Even after just over a year of being on VR I'm still tweaking certain things every now and again, but once you hit the sweet spot, you'll never go back to non VR. It's absolutely game/life changing haha!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Just2Laps

Just2Laps Just2Laps - Racing is Fun

Hi, no, HAGS and Game Mode are both off. HAGS is contra productive when using an RTX 30xx for any game. Same with Game Mode on

• Like Like x 1
  19. DaWorstPlaya

Yea from what I've read in the past it seems HAGS only helps low end GPUs. Glad to hear that hasn't changed.

20. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

Can anyone remind me how to turn your monitor off while in VR?
    I know in ACC you can do it in .ini but I dont remember if its possible in AMS2...

Not even doing it for the performance but Im trying to fix some headtracking issues on my g2.