1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New replay GUI issues and bugs

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Nats, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Nats

Nats Member

I see the replay GUI interface has been changed with a recent patch. Now you have to fiddle with all the interface elements to turn them off one by one, whereas before if you chose 'Interface' at the top it turned everything off all together so you could watch the race without any clutter. So far more fiddly.

Also there seems to be a bug in that once you have turned everything off and on again the buttons stop working until you exit the replay and re-enter it.

Secondly I notice that, not only does Monza not have any DRS zones, it also doesn't have any track cameras either! You cannot watch the cars around the whole track.

Finally an issue that annoys me every time I use the replays - why cant we select part of the timeline ribbon and jump to a part in the replay immediately? If I want to watch one particular minute of a race, which is very often the case, I have to zoom through the whole race to get there? Very frustrating and thats been the case from day one !!!

So Reiza please lets have better replay functionality please. Yes we all want new tracks and cars but there are still really annoying half baked features in the game like the replays that are still there!

(and dont get me on about the AI car/track balancing and the way the AI is always slow on certain corners of every track).

2. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

The replay literally simulates the livetrack as if you were racing. So since it needs to “stream” the track evolution, there is no possibility to simply skip ahead. It’s not a lack of will, it’s an engine limitation

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I know nothing about the low-level technical details of LiveTrack, but with many types of data streams it's possible to take snapshots of their state at a given point in time. So I imagine it's not impossible to implement a snapshots feature where e.g. a snapshot is taken once per lap, allowing users to skip forward or backward on a lap-by-lap basis.

An open question: Suppose that the time it takes to generate LiveTrack snapshots for a session is the same time it takes to render LiveTrack at 10x speed, in other words playing back the whole session from start to finish at 10x speed. Would people still want to use the skip-to-lap functionality, even if they had to wait for it to generate first?

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree and would add that they are pretty essential features for anyone wanting to run a club and provide race stewarding. rF2 still does that best from what I've seen.

5. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Why do we need live track in replays? Do any other sims run anything similar in replays? Aren't replays just meant to be a dumbed down version of the race?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Nats

Nats Member

It seems a strange way to do it rather than just recording the car/race/track details and then replaying them. Can we not jump around in the PCars replays - I cant remember?

7. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

No, you cannot jump around in replays in PCars1/2 unfortunately. I remember Renato talking about that in one of his interviews, his said it was a limitation of the engine and the LiveTrack stuff that was already mentioned in this thread.

8. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

You are assuming a race in the dry I guess. Visual track state transitions are tied to livetrack so any driy to wet or other combination of visual weather needs to be simulated as well. If Reiza wants to change this, they need to delve deep down in the code to change this and the time required might be huge considering this is LiveTrack, a core feature of the engine.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. ramsay

ramsay Active Member

The long standing bugs and limitations in the replay on their own are not that big an issue, but when you stack them all up they can be annoying and frustrating:
    • Double saves of replays
    • Limit on the number of replays that can be saved
    • Buttons not responding and having to click off/on them to get them to respond
    • Cameras seemingly using the wrong camera for track position of car when you rewind or ffwd and therefore blocked by track objects, trees,etc.
    • In rolling starts (in MP) only your car is shown in the first few seconds of the replay, then they all magically appear
    • Inability to name, edit, or add notes to them
    • Camera switching to different camera views when you switch cars
    • On some replays, timings & race positions are completely wrong and bear no resemblance to the actual race positions in that point of the replay
    I'm sure there are more i've missed - but again the list above has been so longstanding you tend to take it as the norm and not even notice, or even think about them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Agreed, this having to switch off standings etc, is a pain esp when editing.

However you do not need to leave replay and re-enter to regain control, just select a camera (different than last used) reselect then click interface to have a map/standings/driver,(deselected of course) free replay with control.
    :(

+ drone camera views are far too zoomy and only the 1 that flies alongside the car (without zooming and from high up) is watchable for more than a few seconds, but is so tricky to select as you have to run through all drones views to find it, and that is also inconsistent and random.
    Small potatoes but usability issues that are encountered nonetheless

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022