1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

I use FSR to make the image quality better. The thing is, people tend to use it to improve fps, but for VR you just want a stable framerate. With FSR I can put my G2 headset at 100% in steamVR with the 0.85 setting. This results in a sharper image than without FSR at 75% steamVR. I went back and forth in game, trying to match the fps while increasing the steamVR resolution. The end result was a sharper image.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

I noticed reprojection worked perfectly and I did not change a thing. Perhaps the update to 1.3 changed something? Or a newer version of steamvr / mixed reality for steamVR?

3. easy81

easy81 Member

but it is possible in some way to improve the shadows .... although I change the level they are always jagged on the asphalt

4. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Good to know, I will give FSR a shot again, but no matter what I tried, it just made my image look worse. Like you, I wasn't trying to improve FPS, but rather just overall image quality given a stable FPS target.

5. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I had the same issue. Unfortunately, the only way I found to fix the issue was to turn Shadow Detail to Off. Actually looks much better since the super jagged shadows were somehow more immersion breaking than no shadow detail at all.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Oh no, I realised I have also much worse performance in VR now.
    Didn’t notice it yet because I only raced in sunny conditions since V1.3 but today I raced with Porsche GT3 at Interlagos at rainy conditions and suddenly my Pimax 8k+ and RTX3090 can’t hold fluid 72 FPS @ 72hz anymore and I get stuttering framerate. Didn’t have a problem with this combo in the past. Already rebooted everything but performance drop stays unfortunately.
    Didn’t change graphics settings so it must be the latest Reiza updates, which might be more demanding. Don’t want to sacrifice resolution and graphics settings as I already sacrificed the wide FOV of my Pimax headset and always raced with minimum FOV (called „potato“-FOV in Pi-Tools :D) but enjoyed the good and fluid graphics in VR at any conditions. Now I can’t do this at rain/night anymore.
    Reiza, please bring back the old performance or make patch to prevent need for parallel projection for canted displays like rFactor2-devs did. This would give me a huge FPS boost in VR. In rFactor 2 it was only a tiny patch with a huge effect.

7. Neil D Corfield

Neil D Corfield R3D M15T

Not sure if anyone can help seem to keep getting stuttering in VR multiplayer races in VR if the grid size is approximately larger the 14 ish. Single player races with max players no problems.
    Checked FPS and this does drop unless the stuttering occurs then FPS in headset drops but only in larger multiplayer lobbys.

Like patch above didn't seem to notice prior to patch.

8. easy81

easy81 Member

I wonder. but there is no way to block the fps in the VR? considering that I notice the micro-shots when the frames drop from 90 to 85-80 fps .... set to 75 fixed would be a solution.

9. MrTulip

MrTulip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

If you have Valve Index and experience micro stutters and bad performance in the rain and night conditions, instead of running Index at 80 Hz to squeeze more performance, try setting it up to 120 or even 144 Hz, and force the motion smoothing always on. You get effectively the load of 60 or 72 fps but especially at 144 Hz / 72 fps artifacts aren't that bad anymore compared to stutters or artifacts at 80 / 40 fps.

(And forcing it on prevents extra hiccups when the state would change between motion smoothing on and off.)

10. easy81

easy81 Member

Grazie...for Hp G2?

11. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

I have noticed this thread actually after starting a specific one, sorry really but anyone here using a mobile VR headset that could provide some guidance

see details of my current Options in testing in the link to my own thread
    Help with VR settings

thanks a lot!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  12. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

I take the no replies as nobody here playing with a cheapo VR headset solution?

13. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think you may be in a small group certainly, but it's still interesting to find solutions to problems.

14. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Yes it looks like as I am not getting much traction on other Sims forums

But I really thought more people would test such mobile phone VR Option therefore sharing their experiences before going with a proper headset

• Like Like x 1
  15. John Hargreaves

I think by the time they've got this deep into simracing they are past the point of no return. No amount of counselling or therapy can cure it, and many will have a decent rig to play on, so a full on VR headset at the price of a decent TV is one of the more value for money purchases they might make. Most of us are seated anyway, so the mobile/untethered units are less important to have. You may get some help on Reddit as that has a broader base, but keep in touch here, you never know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If Nvidia was able to make GeForce Now work with wheels there would be a lot more people simracing with those headsets. Maybe Valve will solve the issue when they release their standalone headset?

A friend of mine is a console racer but he also has a Quest 2 and no desire for a gaming PC. He would be down for a streaming service though. I've heard the same from other console gamers I know. They already have the wheel and the games on PC are cheaper too...

17. moogleslam

moogleslam New Member

Hi everyone!

I've had this game since last week, and immediately went about trying to tweak it. I really think I just made performance worse, so have gone back to scratch, removed some of the files from here I've downloaded, and had Steam revalidate files. Going to stick with out of the box files until I get that running well before trying mods.

Can someone explain the relationship between Steam Super Sampling and in-game Super Sampling? Which one should I be increasing to maximize the clarity of my image?

Any way to see frame rate or frame timing in-game, or do I need something like fpsVR?

9900K, 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM, HP Reverb G1

Thanks!

18. John Hargreaves

Best way to start from scratch is to make sure the documents/automobilista 2 folder is deleted, that will reset your graphics and control settings back to default. I would say get used to the basic game out of the box first before starting with mods, but all the ones I've tried from Racedepartment for liveries have been fine.
    I've tweaked mine so it runs about 250fps in 2D mode, so I get a nice smooth 90fps in VR

19. Rob Davies

Rob Davies Bobby Dazzler AMS2 Club Member

Welcome and Quick answers.

1. Use steam SS. In-game doesn’t do anything.
    2. Yes, fpsVR is a godsend when tuning.

I’ve posted a link to a doc a few times re: G2 settings which may help

• Like Like x 1
  20. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

They are basically the same but SteamVR SS gives you more finer control over the SS where you can maximize the clarity of the image. In some cases in game SS hasn't worked with some headsets from what I have read. You are better off using SteamVR SS and setting the in game SS to 1.0.

You can either use the SteamVR graph (advanced feature under SteamVR settings) to look at frame timing or it's better to use fpsVR to get more detailed info.

With a 2080Ti and Reverb G1 you probably want to be close the native resolution of the Reverb G1 in SteamVR (per eye resolution set close to 2160x2160) so you can maintain 90fps in all conditions depending on your in game graphic settings.