1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AI - Which track/car combo has the most realistic AI performance?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by ControlLogix, Jan 10, 2022.

1. ControlLogix

ControlLogix Active Member

Almost every time I play this game against the AI, no matter what track/car combo, I find the AI calibration through the entire track is not 100%

For instance, I loaded up a race against AI today, GT3s at bathurst, tried setting AI difficultly between 100 and 105, and I find that up in the mountain, in turns 3 through 9, the AI hits the brakes on certain turns that I can take full throttle or with slight lifting.

This creates a very unnatural race as they are artificially slow through certain corners so I have to crank their skill level way up to compensate for this but then they are too fast in other areas.

What tracks/classes do you guys find where the AI calibration is near 100%? I would like to find even one track/class combo where I can race flat out and have super close racing with the AI.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Pacchia

Pacchia Member

Jerez is good, so is Brasilia... I have yet to try others.
    Note I'm using the GT5 class though.

3. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

What aggression level are you using?. 100 is the best for this difference to be reduced, and to find the answer to your question. Whatever the aggression level adjust's. (aggression is not the best description) if it went to 120 ai performance would be less questionable imo and experience.
    For best results, All cars/tracks 100 aggression regardless of skill.
    Try arc camaro at 105/ 100 Spielbergh Historic no chicane adjust skill to suite your speed.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. ControlLogix

I usually have aggression at 50%. Aggression will affect how fast they are through certain corners? I will put aggression to 100% and do a quick test.

UPDATE:
    I tried setting aggression to 100% and it didn't change the fact that the AI brakes on turns 5 and 9 when I can take these nearly full throttle.

The racing is pretty close for the rest of the track, but at these two corners I have to brake when not necessary to avoid running into the back of the AI. Or if I am behind a few seconds from the AI, I will be right on their bumper after these two corners, which obviously ruins the immersion of the race.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

Personally I have found the number of "quirky AI corners" to have plummeted over the past 6 months. I haven't done any recent Bathurst races to comment on that, but I'm having good luck pretty much across the board in terms of there not being corners that provide a gimmie pass every single lap.

But I think the AI brake lights may come on even if they are really just lifting off the throttle. Try the course in time trial mode and bring up a ghost from one of the faster drivers--you'll notice brake lights flicker in places where I'm certain they aren't on the brakes.

Perhaps someone more official and confirm/reject my thinking?

6. DayrFile

DayrFile Member

Just finished the F3 championchip from the championchip presets on 95% AI, 70% aggression and 50% race scale. I had the feeling that this combination is already quite optimized. There were maybe some corners where my speed and the AIs speed differ, but that might be also due to setup (had the feeling they used higher downforce). I could leave this settings for all the races (so no fine tuning from track to track) and had really a lot of consistent fun :)
    As a side note, I read often about very bad AI behavior in AMS2, which is certainly true for some (often newer) tracks and some car/ track combinations, but for a big part I cannot reproduce this on my side. On my side I often have sometimes quite the opposite, an AI that is almost not aggressive enough or not enough committed to it's line. Since this experience is so different to all the reports about over-aggressive AI I start thinking that this might be hardware dependent (or some other weird setting, race condition on CPU threads, ...)
    I just started the Formula Reiza championchip as a next step (again from the presets) and will check, if I like it as much as the F3.

7. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This would be my guess. Depending on the number of AI and the performance-related settings in the launch parameters, the AI can be relatively sane or completely off the walls (riding every kerb, cutting corners through gravel, smashing into the player every corner). People on high-end CPUs probably don't even notice it.

8. Remco Hitman

Remco Hitman Member

I really enjoyed racing the AI at Bathurst. They were quite lifelike, some of the best I've seen in any sim. 120% strength / 60% aggression in this video. Sure had to get a move on :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. ControlLogix

Hi Remco, cool video. However if you watch your video, you can see the corners I am talking about, you can just breeze past the AI because they are braking when not necessary.

4:00 - 4:05 you lift completely because the AI is braking here at T9
    9:07 - 9:12 AI brake at T9 again and you breeze past because you don't need to brake.

It's just a calibration issue that I hope gets sorted out eventually but it's no fun racing knowing that If I am on pace with the AI through the rest of the track, that at a couple of corners I can easily gain 1-2s on them because they are not handling the turn as well as they should.

It's too bad there is not some kind of "trainer" mode that the player could turn on to teach the AI the correct lines and braking points and throttle application. I assume they have some kind of program per corner that tells them when and where to brake. I wish I could just edit this :whistle:

For me this is the biggest problem with the AI at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

It could also be your driving and inherent speed or superior lines etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

ref track op
    Just for kicks. Winter @ 110/100 : (and to test for 4k rendition as opposed to 1080)
    Learning the car (default) where's the grip (noticeable here) Ai are not 100 perfect calibration (are they anywhere in any sim? but midpack fun had. (not the best driving but I'm no racer)
    ;

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Silvano

Silvano Active Member AMS2 Club Member

And it will be forever if devs dont understand it needs a sort of AI Editor to match the player speed in each corner, allready in AMS1 i once talked to @Renato Simioni about this but my idea got washed away very soon as he said the AI will then drive as robots !
    So after that i didnt go on to talk about it as it was frustrating to have so poor answer from him.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  13. RDG

RDG Active Member

It would already help a lot of the AI would actually use the player's physics, which I doubt they do right now. They still drive side by side through Blanchimont in GT3 cars without losing any speed whatsoever and can drive halfway on the grass without slowing down.

14. azaris

Help melt down the CPU maybe in a title that already struggles with a grid of 15 AI cars. No thanks.

15. RDG

RDG Active Member

It doesn't need to run the exact same physics, you can use a much lower frequency for instance or a simplified version. You can say what you want about Assetto Corsa's AI, but you never see them do stuff the player simply can't do because they run (a version of) the player's physics.

16. azaris

They already tried something like this, the result was GTE cars that wobbled all over the place on replays and spectator mode. It's not as simple as us forum geniuses make it sound like.

AC has probably the worst AI of all the serious sim racing titles, so yeah, no thanks.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. RDG

RDG Active Member

And what we have now is AI taking impossible lines through corners and cars going through the grass without losing any speed. Needs a lot of improvement still.

AC's AI is quite boring, but I'd rather have that than fighting an AI that isn't using the same rules.

18. Mario Moretti

Mario Moretti Member AMS2 Club Member

THIS. see my post: Live Track 3.0