1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official General AI Comments & Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2021.

1. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

Silverstone GP, multiclass (F-V10 G1 & G2), practice, AI at 95, aggression at 50, dry weather.
    This is something I've seen way too many times, I'm clearly ahead, I have the race line, it looks pretty obvious to me that there is no space for an overtake, yet the AI divebombs and hits me with a pit maneuver. In this situation the AI should back off and try again in another corner, not go for a desperation move and hit me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Salvador, Ginetta GT40 cup. AI 95% skill 50% aggro. Dry weather.

AI simply cannot be kept up with through the chicane in S1. They drive over kerbs without any interruption to their speed, whereas if I follow the exact same line I bin it. This chicane is a guaranteed way to lose 0.5-1 sec to the AI every lap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. FS7

Silverstone GP, F-V10 G1, 30-minute race, AI at 100, aggression at 50, dry weather.
    If AI goes off the track it should not stay on full throttle and try to retake the racing line at any cost as shown in the video below, it should get off the throttle, slow down, and try to get back on the track in a safe manner.

• Agree Agree x 7
  4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

The AI has Max or Lewis programming and expected you to give room before the track surface ran out :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

Car: F-Classic Gen 3
    Track: Silverstone 1991
    Conditions: Dry

I did a standing start from 9th. The 3 cars in front of me all drove off into the grass on the left. Not sure about behind (forgot to save the replay).

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

Looks to me like the issue was that the car on the outside didn't back out of it when it was clear he wasn't going to have room. The overall logic does still seem to be that the outside line is the preferred line and should be sought very aggressively.

7. Jeff Scharpf

Jeff Scharpf Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Maybe it's me but from the AI's perspective, it looks like you turned into him. If I'm wrong about this, sorry, but this is how most AI incidents happen. Sometimes they will back off, sometimes no. Your move was rather quick as your line seemed to change just for a fraction of a second. I've learned to live with the AI and try to anticipate these moves during turns when they are behind me, and so far I've had great luck.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. FS7

I'll have to respectfully disagree on that.
    I'm well ahead of him, I braked as late as I could, I turned way before he could get anywhere near enough to go alongside for a pass and still got hit. AI was far behind before braking and was far behind when I was turning (clear proof of that is that he hit my rear wheel with his front wheel), he was off the track when he hit me.
    All of that is clear proof that it was 100% AI's fault in this case. If AI is not fully alongside before I start turning they should back off and try again in another turn, if AI is offside the track they definitely should slow down and try to avoid contact. Unfortunately my experience with AI in AMS2 is that it's pretty much impossible to go side-by-side with them in a turn especially with open-wheelers, I have to give them lots of space (or sometimes even slow down and let them pass) because they always give me zero space regardless of the aggression setting I choose.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

The earlier point about ai not being affected by line rears its head here too. If the ai did a divebomb or compromised exit by having such a sub-optimal corner entry like that, the undercut doesnt work because of A) the ai fast acceleration out of the corners and B) this issue about line.
    Having to learn to drive like the ai isnt really an option when driving on the outside line results in a net disadvantage compared to the ai in reverse circumstances. Im not concinced that is a habit that should be encouraged.

I hope and am confident that the ai will continue to improve. There's already been stuff that I thought couldn't be addressed that has been. In the meantime we must accept these things as they are.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  10. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: V.1.3.2
    Car: Porsche 911 GT3 Cup 4.0
    Track: Velopark 2017
    AI Strength: 100%
    AI Aggression: 50%
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): T5 & T6
    Session Distance: 10 laps
    Weather when the issue was observed: dry
    Player Tyre: dry
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): race

AI too slow through turns 5 & 6 - the right hand corner, followed by the left that lead onto the back straight. Very easy to pull a 1 second gap on the AI coming through that section onto the back straight.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Andrex

Andrex New Member

Supercart
    All Tracks

AI is a mess on all tracks, not one AI is able to drive 1 lap without a crash, impossible to do a Race against AI, you will always win because all AIs are not finishing the race.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

I recall the supercart from a Beta test race at a tricky track. So I thought it would be nice to drive the mad things again, this time at a simple and wide track with your post in mind.
    certainly here they have problems so on a :eek:cart track little chance?
    The other observation and question is what is all the smoke?.
    Video will show excess smoke even when in straight line flat out. and only in replay such amount.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. FS7

Iirc there was a similar issue in PCars1/2 with karts having excessive smoke in replays, not sure if the AMS2 bug is related to that.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Pacchia

Pacchia Member

Car: Puma GT5
    Track: Kyalami 70s
    AI Strength: 110%
    AI Aggression: 60%
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): Leeukop Bend

AI misses apex and therefore accelerates out of this corner too late, so it's easy to have a big advantage (0.5-1 sec) on the main straight.

15. Blaine7

Blaine7 New Member

Car: Fiat Uno
    Track: GoiĆ¢nia Long
    AI Strength: 82%
    AI Aggression: 75%
    Session Distance: 30 min
    Weather when the issue was observed: wet

In Quali and practice, I was pretty much on par with the AI, in the race however, I was able to produce a 10+ second gap to the second driver, and I was making plenty of mistakes. I spun once and had to work my way up the field. Here I noticed that the AI seems to severely slow down when driving through puddles. This was especially noticeable on the straights.

16. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Car: Porsche GTE
    Track: Spa
    AI Strength: 90%
    AI Aggression: 20%
    Session Distance: 30 min
    Weather when the issue was observed: Drizzle/Drying

After spending lots of time (months) tweaking FFB and VR settings, I'm finally trying to get racing in AMS2. I tried to recreate 24 hours of Spa over a 30 min race session (using real weather), and almost all the AI cars entered the pits after the first lap (track was slightly wet, but drying). I didn't pit and easily won the race without pitting at all for the 30 mins. What am I missing here to make the AI pit smarter? Thanks!

17. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

Car: F-Classic Gen 3
    Track: Jerez
    AI : 96/55 (custom AI file)
    Session Distance: 30 laps
    Type of session: Race

In turn 5 (before the back straightaway), the AI back off when they hit the corner apex when it's not at all necessary. I've noticed this in other cars as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

Wanted to add--I know this is a thread for AI problems (and I've been trying to contribute my share), but overall IMO the AI are getting really, really good. I've been doing a lot of F-Classic Gen 3 races, but also a variety of tin-tips (all with customized AI) and have been enjoying them immensely.

The number of situations where the AI have a ton of extra speed in one sector and vice versa is way, way down (meaning you have to actually earn your positions now). As a long as I'm driving relatively intelligently, they aren't running into me. And some of the back and forth battles I've had have been epic. Love that they don't just give up once you go by and will try to protect their position.

Big kudos to Reiza!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Out of interest, what "Aggression" setting are you using?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Car: P4 metalmora
    Track: nordschlief
    AI Strength: 105%
    AI Aggression:100%
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): everywhere
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): practice

With above the configuration the ai is terribly slow around the nords in braking zones.
    I'm a amateur at best here, with the base tune, comparing my time of 7:04 to the LB record of 6:54 I'm 10 secs off.
    AI was running 7:15-7:18

• Informative Informative x 1