1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Bad is the Rating System?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Obbzy_XR_, Jan 6, 2022.

1. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

no suprise with TC and ABS, only thing thats missing is an assistance that steers for them :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Sadly, that's what most the servers are running.
    I was browsing the lobbies last night and there was roughly 12 servers with people in them.
    8 were GT3, and of the 12, 3 had the rating system enabled and the rest had it off.

3. James Lee GTE

James Lee GTE Active Member

Ignore, I forgot to press reply to
    Apologies

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  4. James Lee GTE

James Lee GTE Active Member

The best advice I can give is to join unofficial AMS2 discords and Facebook groups.
    There you will find like minded racers, who want to dodge public lobbies and will give a variation of car and track combos each week.
    People on this forum, myself included have tried to organise Reiza forum private lobby races and if you are lucky you get a couple of interested people.
    Your best bets are discord and Facebook to find some fun people to race with. Here’s a really good one ( I’m not an admin, just a user )
    Hope this helps
    Join the AMS UNOFFICIAL Discord Server!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sir_Anth

Sir_Anth New Member

I am actually wondering where you guys are located? I am in europe and usually set up a server with 10 min. practise / 10 min. qualy / 10 laps race and whatever combo i chose there's always about 15 people at least joining. I set the safety rating to F1500 and the racest are mostly clean. I enjoy racing classics though (Old mini / Ginetta Cup / Fiat Uno / Class A / ...).
    I noticed this game is not as popular in other parts of the world so i would understand that you see empty servers. Best thing to do is just to keep playing...
    It also helps to find a buddy, servers with at least 2 people on it are way more attractive for other people to join than servers with just 1 person in it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

AMSU is located in UK/Europe so most of the races are GMT, but it also offers races with a Pacific/Asia time slot.

7. BartZ

BartZ Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't know... GT3's don't exactly drive like they were on rails. It's a competitive class and not super easy when driven hard. Spin out's are still possible. At a risk to attracting ridicule... I like them :)

PS. IMO they are a little easier on AMS2 than ACC which I would guess simulates GT3's more accurately.

8. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

define "simulates".

9. BartZ

ummm... gives a true representation of the actual object (car)?

If you disagree with my opinion on the GT3's that's fine. Each to his own. I hope this is not turning into an argument what is "simulate" since we all have a good idea on meaning of the word.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. steelreserv

I don't disagree that it may feel like what people would expect from GT3, im just curious as to why that means its a more accurate simulation.

In other words, is meeting the mass expectation of what consumers conjecture GT3s should feel like automatically mean that everything behind the scenes is being simulated realistically or is end user expectation all that matters?

Im not saying ACC isn't doing its best to simulate something or isn't a simulator. Just simply curious as to why ACC gets anointed as best or most realistic sim when people don't really know what's going on inside. Does it matter? If not, should it?

11. BartZ

Yea, I don't know what's going on inside ACC. I didn't code it. I fell like I'm being pulled into an argument. If I am misreading it, I am genuinely sorry.

Too old for arguments unless face to face over a beer ;)

12. steelreserv

no argument, im not trying to bait. its your opinion, thats that.

my thoughts are just wandering. if ACC physics are perfect and its such a great simulation, why don't they simply model more cars and take over the world? or is there something they are doing that suits just GT3/4...but feels mmm-mmm good to people...

• Creative Creative x 1
  13. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

I don't think anyone's said that ACC is perfect, as it can't be (the only thing that's perfect is the real thing). I have heard of a few real GT3 drivers that think ACC offers the best GT3 experience (I'll have to dig if you want names), but whether they've tried them all I don't know (I doubt it). I imagine when a developer's entire focus is on one series, it must be easier to deliver on that than a developer that has to make one engine do everything well. Doing the latter and managing to do it well would be the best verification that everything worked together 'just right' though, as it's easier to fudge things and get away with it when your focus is narrow.

• Like Like x 1
  14. steelreserv

I'm aware of the overwhelmingly positive driver comments as well as comments by David Perel himself who said the RL cars have more edge of grip feel in one or more of his videos a while back. (which ACC recently tried to rectify). (This comment was practically ignored by the community, while AMS2 was getting hammered for "too much" edge of grip "simcade" feel, by the way.) Nevertheless.

Yeah, you've summed up what I was trying to get at. Just thoughts and whispers in the wind really. Not intended nor likely to sway anyone's opinions. AMS2 simply has a different approach and boarder rules to abide by.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

I think both sims do different aspects of GT3 racing better than the other.
    If were talking strictly about how deep the simulation of physics and handling goes, I think AMS2 probably beats ACC.
    In my experience things like track temp, tyre/brake temps etc have bigger effects on the handling.
    Car setup is another point where I think AMS2 goes way deeper, to a point where I have no clue what Im even doing.
    TC and ABS are miles apart, making AMS2 a fair bit less forgiving.
    I dont know if that is actually more realistic, but it sure feels like it.

Theres a few other things (like weather and VR) I think AMS2 does better, but theyre not really GT3 specific.

On the other hand, the feeling I get when driving GT3 cars in ACC is more inline with my irl experience driving cars. I have never raced a GT3 class car before, but I have a fair amount of experience with fast cars.
    Just the general feel of how the cars handle, and especially the connection to the road is something I feel is done better in ACC. That also goes for innertia and weight balance imo.
    And yes, Ive tried different setups and watched your videos @steelreserv ;)

This also translates into better roadfeel through the FFB imo.
    The way my wheel reacts to kerbs for example is something Ive never experienced in AMS2.
    I only drive in VR and these things are an instant immersion killer for me, more so than on the screen.
    Ive tried all the custom FFB files on these forums and made attempts to improve in areas where I thought it was lacking but I cant get it to feel as good and "real" as in ACC.

I realise both sims go about FFB in a totally different way and I think its mostly personal preference if not just totally subjective.

Then theres one more thing I think ACC objectively does better and thats sound.
    The sound isnt bad at all in AMS2, but I dont think it comes close to ACCs.
    For me thats a very important factor, but it might not matter as much to someone else.
    Visual quality is closer than audio but I think ACC also has the advantage.

Together with the GT Blancpain/GT World license, this makes ACC my go to sim for GT3.

Please dont shoot me for liking GT racing btw, due to the side effects of having an actual life outside of videogames, I dont really have the time to "git gud" in every class of car ever.
    If everybody would just jump into public Group C lobbies the carnage would be of epic proportions and you same guys would come here complaining about how other people are all a bunch idiots who cant drive.

Having a thousands of hours into a simracing game doesnt make you better than anyone else, so please get over yourselves.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. BartZ

Full field of cars, engine maps, ABS level, TC levels with TC cut where applicable, brake pad types, true to life interior + displays, sound simulated to the level of gearbox hydraulics, really good tyre model and physics (I'm not saying better or worse just very good). For those reasons and maybe some others I consider ACC to be simulating GT3 and 4 better that AMS2. Sure the narrow focus is definitely an advantage. Had they made a wider car selection would it still be as good? Probably not. I never meant to say ACC is better than AMS2. They're both excellent and I'd struggle to pick a favourite.
    ACC VR implementation however is far below AMS2... Unless I'm a bit thick in finding an optimum set-up which could very well be the case :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. dryheat94

dryheat94 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

This thread sure spun off the rails of the OP.

• Like Like x 4
  18. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

I you really want to know the main problem of the AMS2 MPRS, I recommand to delete the AMS2 folder in "my Documents" and restart the game. I recently mailed that Folder to a friend, he uses my rating now with his steam account.

What kind of MPRS is this???

The "MPRS" is inside your AMS2 options folder... thats my main gripe.

I learned it the hard way after migrating to a new PC.
    Im not willling to go through the grind again after every major Update that recommends to delete the AMS2 folder.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

wtf lol

20. Enagee

Enagee jim joneZ AMS2 Club Member

Ohhh Shi!!! Can of worms opened!!!!